Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi breaks Mullers record of 85 goals in a year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Does it really matter though? Its an amazing achievement.

Of course it's a amazing achievement. Greatest footballer in my lifetime.

But comparing it to Muller's record is pointless.
    rarnes1 wrote: »

cmon man, this was posted on the previous page, keep up!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

quarryman wrote: »
    Of course it's a amazing achievement. Greatest footballer in my lifetime.

But comparing it to Muller's record is pointless.

Eh, isnt that the whole point, it has never been done before.

Messi will win the Ballon D'or every year bar injury, he will have broken every possible record by the time he retires and we wont see another like him in our lifetime. Next year he will be going for 100 in a calendar year. Simply the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mont wrote: »
    Eh, isnt that the whole point, it has never been done before.

Messi will win the Ballon D'or every year bar injury, he will have broken every possible record by the time he retires and we wont see another like him in our lifetime.

Same was said about Best, Pele, Maradona............

Depands what age you are ;)

Can't say I remember seeing Pele myself!

Mike might have :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Why the hell are people trying to put Messi down?

Depands what age you are ;)

Can't say I remember seeing Pele myself!

Mike might have :p

Only old enough to see Maradona, but heard it so many times about other 2 also from older people.

Messi is a beast no question or doubt about it, but someday im sure we have another player just as good. Be it in 5 months, 5 years or 50 years.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

But none of them against my beautiful Chelsea :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Well nobody really expected someone better than those three, like Messi to come around did they?

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Well nobody really expected someone better than those three, like Messi to come around did they?

Exactly that is my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Left foot - 75
    Right foot - 8
    Head - 3
    Inside area - 60
    Outside area - 12
    Penalties - 14

Source: Opta

He's a special player, fully expect him to smash it next year!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Messi - so good they have to make up records for him to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Was reading this morning that he also has 29 assists in 2012. Not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

quarryman wrote: »
    How many of Messi's tally were penalties though?

Very few Id say. I would say 5-6 max.

EDIT: sorry, see someone has posted 14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Melion wrote: »
    Why the hell are people trying to put Messi down?

Who's putting him down eactly?

gimmick wrote: »
    Very few Id say. I would say 5-6 max.

EDIT: sorry, see someone has posted 14.

Both him and Ronaldo scored 14 pens apiece during the 2011/12 season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Both him and Ronaldo scored 14 pens apiece during the 2011/12 season.

But Messi scored those penalties for a team including Xavi and Iniesta.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    But Messi scored those penalties for a team including Xavi and Iniesta.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

One of the lads just mentioned a fair point.

With the record Muller had, and the victories and trophies, why isnt he considered in conversations of "best players of all time".

Those stats and victories are breathtaking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

TheDoc wrote: »

With the record Muller had, and the victories and trophies, why isnt he considered in conversations of "best players of all time".

It was before most posters time. His international record was also amazing, especially at the World Cup finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Anone know how many goals Ronaldo has in 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

I didn't see him play, but it might have something to do with him primarily been an out and out goal poacher.

Even the year he scored 85 goals, it was his team mate; Beckenbauer, who won player of the year.

I don't think he was the same category of footballer as a Messi, Pele or Maradonna to be considered in the "best players of all time" bracket.

One of the best goal scorers ever, but doesn't seem to get enough credit outside of Germany all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Couple of factors against him; obviously he was before many people's time, but he was also very much "just" a goalscorer, if that makes sense. The greats that frequently get discussed, (Messi, Pele, Maradona), tend to be creators as well as finishers; players who could proverbially 'win a game on their own'.

Then there is probably a bit of media bias. You won't likely hear his name in any conversation involving the anglocentric Sky Generation. He spent the bulk of his career in Germany. Only played against an English club in Europe once (against Leeds in the 1975 final) and against a British club on one other occasion (against Rangers in the CWC final in 67). Internationally, he scored once against England, in a Euro qualifier in 1972. Thus, his impact for many people is small.

However, he is frequently talked about in the same stratosphere as Puskas, Di Stefano, etc, i.e., the truly great European players of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Just look at the goal he scored against Holland in the WC74 final. Typical Gerd Muller goal.
    Fantastic goalscorer, average football player.

Bit like Pipo Inzaghi if you are looking for a modern day equivalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

It is hard to call someone the best ever while they are still playing. Messi is head and shoulders above every other player on the planet though. Beating that record is another record he has broken. It is a record that was written off as impossible to beat in the modern era since players just don't score as freely anymore, and yet Messi has done it. I am delighted to be able to watch Messi play every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Rezident

While I think ultimately you have to wait until the end of a player's career for the final verdict, football is about more than just stats, much if it is subjective, some will always prefer, say, Pele over Maradona, or vice versa, but I believe Messi is the best ever.

After Maradona retired I remember wishing I'd watched more of him live like when my dad had told me to sit down and watch him in '86. I'm just grateful that we can see Messi play now every week. When he got injured the other week I was seriously worried, what a loss to world football he would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Nice tribute from Muller on Messi breaking his record:
    Müller led the tributes on Monday, telling Sport1.de: "My record stood for 40 years – 85 goals in 60 games – and now the best player in the world has broken it, and I'm delighted for him. He is an incredible player, gigantic."

Müller, whose record as Germany's all-time top goalscorer is also under threat from Miroslav Klose, now hopes Messi will add to his tally before the end of the year. "He's such a nice and modest professional and I hope he gets one or two more goals in 2012 and that he can then hold onto the record for the next 40 years," he added. "He's fantastic. He only has one defect and that is that he doesn't play for Bayern Munich!"
    From the Guardian

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

I didn't see him play, but it might have something to do with him primarily been an out and out goal poacher.

Even the year he scored 85 goals, it was his team mate; Beckenbauer, who won player of the year.

I don't think he was the same category of footballer as a Messi, Pele or Maradonna to be considered in the "best players of all time" bracket.

One of the best goal scorers ever, but doesn't seem to get enough credit outside of Germany all right.

There was a good article in the Irish Times on Sat about Muller. As said already he was an out and out goal scorer primarily scoring inside the 6 yard box with a sweeping finish to the corner of the net. He lived on crosses and scored with both head and feet. His practice was kicking the ball into the corner of the net with no keeper. His tally of 85 in a calendar year was ridiculous really, i have never seen him play but obviously the guy is a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Messi has scored 85 goals in 2012, in the modern era that is RIDICULOUS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sid Lowe's as always interesting weekly read. This time it's about Messi.
    *Shocker*

The Sid. wrote:
    At times the consistency can serve to make it seem mundane, but it is exactly that consistency that makes it so extraordinary. The stats reinforce that fact, but the subjective is as important as the objective. You watch him score an amazing goal and it seems normal; the next week, there is another one as good. On Sunday night, the first was classic Messi: dashing across the area from right to left, escaping three or four challenges, before hitting it into the far corner. Another brilliant goal rendered normal by repetition. As for the second: a superb strike, had it not been the record-breaker it would have barely registered. Müller was a predator – that year he did not win the Balón d'Or, Cruyff did – Messi is not. And nor is about just the goals, but the fact that he is so complete. Messi scored 86 goals in 2012. He also provided 29 assists.

At the end of Sunday night's game, which Barcelona were fortunate to win against an impressive Betis side, Messi swapped shirts with Antonio Amaya and was stopped by Canal Plus's touchline reporter. He talked as the rest headed inside. "What's the next challenge?", he was asked. "Córdoba", Messi said. And with that he turned and headed to the dressing room, where his team-mates were waiting. As he walked through the door, they stood up and gave him a round of applause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

And another one against Cordoba after 10 mins in the CDl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

He nearly missed his goal in the copa del rey there, was an open goal and just hit the unerwide of the crossbar from a couple of yards out.

That being said, pintos hair is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Oatesy23 wrote: »

That is hilarious. Funnily enough this 'record' has only appeared over the past number of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

That is hilarious. Funnily enough this 'record' has only appeared over the past number of days.

Clicked a link on twitter earlier today that linked to a book published last year that mentions it.

Doesn't matter anyway. Even if the Zambian FA put together a paper showing that Chitalu really did score 107 goals, they wont give him the record. They'll come up with some excuse so Messi keeps it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

2 tonight so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

It does my heart good to hear of Godfrey Chitalu and his achievements. Hopefully, he gets the record.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

764dak wrote: »
    It does my heart good to hear of Godfrey Chitalu and his achievements. Hopefully, he gets the record.

that reminds me,i have to go give his nigerian cousin loan to claim his inheritance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Ye Cork men never change ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Even if this Zambian thing is proven to be true (it won't) they should change the record to "most goals in a calendar year in proper football".

Zambia, lol.

I'm sure his detractors will then find another reason to knock him.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭sheao

To achieve what he has with this amount of goals in a calender year is quite outstanding . For me he is without a doubt the best player of the modern generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Fair enough he got the record, but could he do it on a wet Tuesday night in November in Zambia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Essien wrote: »
    proper football

Zambia, lol.

Defending African champions, in fairness...

I scored 11 in 5-a-side this week. If I push it, I might take the record from both of them.

Also, Ronaldo is now definitely going to finish his career in Uzbekistan or Tahiti or Ireland or somewhere else crap and bang in 10 goals a game for a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Essien wrote: »
    Even if this Zambian thing is proven to be true (it won't) they should change the record to "most goals in a calendar year in proper football".

Zambia, lol.

I'm sure his detractors will then find another reason to knock him.

Steady on there Shirley.

Zambia, the team who won the most recent African Cup of Nations?

Zambia, who beat Italy 4-0 at the 1988 Olympics.

Zambia, who were runners up in Africa in 1974, around the same time that this record is supposed to be set.

Have a bit of respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Messi on 88 now, that Zambian claim is rubbish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

"That football is outside my comfort zone and not on Sky Sports so it's obviously made up."

Ares wrote: »
    Steady on there Shirley.

Zambia, the team who won the most recent African Cup of Nations?

Zambia, who beat Italy 4-0 at the 1988 Olympics.

Zambia, who were runners up in Africa in 1974, around the same time that this record is supposed to be set.

Have a bit of respect.
    Steady on there yourself! African football wasn't up to much back then (Tunisia were the first African team to win a game at a world cup in 1978), and it wasn't up to much more last year either. Egypt (reigning champs), Algeria, Cameroon, Nigeria and South Africa all failed to qualify, and Zambia managed to pull of a Greece and win it out. They only played 2 decent teams along their way and beat one of them on pens. Hardly the stuff of a powerful footballing nation.

baz2009 wrote: »
    "That football is outside my comfort zone and not on Sky Sports so it's obviously made up."
    People who spout this shíte are as bad as the people who only watch Sky imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement