Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi breaks Mullers record of 85 goals in a year.

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If the Zambian claim is shown to be true I don't see why Chitalu shouldn't have the record. Doesn't take away from Messi's achievement in the slightest.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

THFC wrote: »
    People who spout this shíte are as bad as the people who only watch Sky imo.

The man's record, if real, can't be discredited just because it happened in a non-mainstream league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

baz2009 wrote: »
    The man's record, if real, can't be discredited just because it happened in a non-mainstream league.
    Meh, the record isn't really important anyway, only people that would care are the people who are obsessed with Messi and the people who hate him. Record or no record, what he has done this year is phenomenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Ares wrote:
    Have a bit of respect
    This was the state of African football in the 1970s:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Meh, the record isn't really important anyway, only people that would care are the people who are obsessed with Messi and the people who hate him. Record or no record, what he has done this year is phenomenal.

That's wrong, tbh. It's an incredible record that any player would love to have. His 88 goals is ridiculous anyway, but considering he has won pretty much everything he can, nearly all that's left for him for personal satisfaction is these types of records.

That's wrong, tbh. It's an incredible record that any player would love to have. His 88 goals is ridiculous anyway, but considering he has won pretty much everything he can, nearly all that's left for him for personal satisfaction is these types of records.
    I think his reaction him getting number 86 said it all really. Iniesta gave him the simplest of balls and Messi finished it from a difficult enough position. What he do, only give the credit to Iniesta. Didn't show any sign of recognising that he broke the record. I'm sure he was delighted and all that, but I'd say he cares a lot more about actual trophies rather than records.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Reekwind wrote: »
    This was the state of African football in the 1970s:

A brilliantly ignorant post.

The player knew exactly what he was doing, Mwepu Illunga.

They're money for the tournament was being withheld and they were told they were going to die if they lost by more than three goals. He wanted to get sent off as a protest.

Also Morocco, an African team, in 1970 lost by a goal to West Germany and drew with Bulgaria. Some state.

In 1978 Tunisia drew with West Germany, hockeyed Mexico and lost by a goal to Poland. Again, some state African football was in.

That's wrong, tbh. It's an incredible record that any player would love to have
    In fairness, it is a nonsense record; football is measured in seasons, not calendar years. I don't think anyone had even heard of this record until Messi started approaching it. It's a sign of a fantastic player but not the most impressive record he's broken
    Ares wrote:

They're money for the tournament was being withheld and they were told they were going to die if they lost by more than three goals. He wanted to get sent off as a protest
    That's one interpretation. Not a very flattering one, holding a backroom shambles up as an excuse, but perhaps better than the conventional one
    Also Morocco, an African team, in 1970 lost by a goal to West Germany and drew with Bulgaria. Some state.
    They also got beaten 3-0 by Peru and finished bottom of their group. That's not a very convincing case as to the state of sub-Saharan football in the 70s

(Incidentally, in the qualifying campaign for that WC, Zambia failed to progress past the first stage due to that footballing powerhouse of Sudan)

Ares wrote: »
    A brilliantly ignorant post.

They're money for the tournament was being withheld and they were told they were going to die if they lost by more than three goals. He wanted to get sent off as a protest.

In 1978 Tunisia drew with West Germany, hockeyed Mexico and lost by a goal to Poland. Again, some state African football was in.
    And that win for Tunisia was an African team's first win at a World Cup, ever. That's Tunisia. Yeh can only imagine the state of things in Zambia, they haven't even qualified for a World Cup yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,583 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I actually can't believe people are playing down the significance of a footballer scoring 88 goals in any 12 month period, be it February to February, March 18th to March 18th or whatever the goalposts we use are.

I'm not a big Barca or Messi fan but thats ****in immense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Some man :D

He followed this up with a lesson in clinical finishing, scoring a whopping seven goals when Warriors overwhelmed the Sothos 9-0 in the second leg
    He scored a hat-trick when Warriors beat Maseru United 7-1 in an international friendly at the same venue in March and 4 goals in a 14-2 thrashing of Norco Rangers in a Chibuku Cup first round match
    There was no stopping him as he went on to score in 17 consecutive matches for Warriors, including two when they were knocked out of the Africa Club Champions Cup 9-3 on aggregate by Ghana’s Hearts of Oak, 5 against Buseko FC in a Chibuku Cup tie, 5 against Roan in a Castle Cup semi-final and 7 against Mufulira Wanderers in two league games including 4 in a 5-1 demolition at Shinde Stadium.
    He scored in yet another cup final when Warriors crushed Kitwe United 6-1 in November to lift the Castle Cup, with Chitalu grabbing a hat-trick and taking his tally for the season to 99 goals in a 9-2 whipping of City of Lusaka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think his reaction him getting number 86 said it all really. Iniesta gave him the simplest of balls and Messi finished it from a difficult enough position. What he do, only give the credit to Iniesta. Didn't show any sign of recognising that he broke the record. I'm sure he was delighted and all that, but I'd say he cares a lot more about actual trophies rather than records.
    don't be fooled by that reaction
    have u not seen his reactions to not getting passes this season?
    of course he cared about getting the record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

CSF wrote: »
    I actually can't believe people are playing down the significance of a footballer scoring 88 goals in any 12 month period, be it February to February, March 18th to March 18th or whatever the goalposts we use are.

I'm not a big Barca or Messi fan but thats ****in immense.

Nobody is playing down the achievement, scoring so many goals is spectacular. The record is insignificant though. I didn't even know Müller held it. Not once have I heard it mentioned in German football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    I hear the North Korean FA are submitting a claim that Kim-Jong Il once scored 86 goals in one match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Ares wrote: »
    Steady on there Shirley.

Zambia, the team who won the most recent African Cup of Nations?

Zambia, who beat Italy 4-0 at the 1988 Olympics.

Zambia, who were runners up in Africa in 1974, around the same time that this record is supposed to be set.

Have a bit of respect.

Fair enough, my comment was a bit short sighted or flippant and I accept I was a bit disrespectful.

However, nothing of what you've said here makes Zambian football seem impressive at all.

They won the ACON decades after the record was supposedly set.

A one off against (albeit a very strong) Italy in the Olympics.

Runners up in the ACON around the time the record was set.

Just for example, Ivory Coast were runners up in the last ACON - How much notice would be taken of a player scoring 100 goals in their domestic competition today? Very little I imagine. The reason is because the level Muller and Messi played/play at was/is considerably higher, so I stand by my 'proper football' comment.

Also, I won't apologize for football in the mid 70's in Zambia being outside of my "comfort zone" as was remarked by someone on a high horse earlier, for I can only dream of someday reaching a fraction of that level of coolness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

It doesn't matter if Zambian football is impressive/good or not. Chitalu would deserve the record for most goals in a calendar year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

The whole Chitalu thing has actually made Messi's record more impressive because it's made me realise that he did this in the best league in the world. It's amazing to think that this record doesn't belong to someone playing in a country where the standard is very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Nobody is playing down the achievement, scoring so many goals is spectacular. The record is insignificant though. I didn't even know Müller held it. Not once have I heard it mentioned in German football.

You only ever hear about records like this when they are close to being bettered. No one has come close in 40 years, so it's hardly a surprise it hasn't being mentioned.

I agree that the record is fairly insignificant though, football revolves around a season and not a calender year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

"That football is outside my comfort zone and not on Sky Sports so it's obviously made up."

I do agree to a certain degree.
    But we are talking Africa here. Tony Yeboah, while playing for Eintracht Frankfurt, went on holidays back home and came back 4 years younger.
    Africa and documenting stats? nah.

• Advertisement

You only ever hear about records like this when they are close to being bettered. No one has come close in 40 years, so it's hardly a surprise it hasn't being mentioned
    It's more than that though. According to Raphael Honigstein (on Football Weekly), not even Muller knew about the record until Messi approached it. This just was not a big deal at all: Muller's wiki page (to be all zeitgeisty) didn't make any mention of it as late as Nov this year

I'm a huge Messi fan and I'm absolutely delighted that Muller is getting the recognition that he deserves but it's hard to shake the impression that this is all a lot of hype

Reekwind wrote: »
    It's more than that though. According to Raphael Honigstein (on Football Weekly), not even Muller knew about the record until Messi approached it. This just was not a big deal at all: Muller's wiki page (to be all zeitgeisty) didn't make any mention of it as late as Nov this year

I'm a huge Messi fan and I'm absolutely delighted that Muller is getting the recognition that he deserves but it's hard to shake the impression that this is all a lot of hype

Exactly, it's just the football propaganda machine at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Hardly needs propaganda :D

The record itself is perhaps a bit overplayed but only because it fits the narrative of a player who has been smashing records for 2 or so seasons now, so people are always looking to the next significant record, which will be 4 WPOTY awards, most likely. While the hype can get a bit annoying at least he's a player we can safely say is worthy of it.

carlop wrote: »
    The whole Chitalu thing has actually made Messi's record more impressive because it's made me realise that he did this in the best league in the world. It's amazing to think that this record doesn't belong to someone playing in a country where the standard is very low.
    La Liga is hardly the best league in the world.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Hardly needs propaganda :D

The record itself is perhaps a bit overplayed but only because it fits the narrative of a player who has been smashing records for 2 or so seasons now, so people are always looking to the next significant record, which will be 4 WPOTY awards, most likely. While the hype can get a bit annoying at least he's a player we can safely say is worthy of it.

It's funny how Ronaldo was actually smashing records the season before last (not Messi) and now people are making it look like Messi has been doing this for a few years.

The fact that Messi won Puskas Award for best goal in 2011 shows the overhype. The fact that in 2007, Messi finished 2nd in player of the year, ahead of far superior players such as Totti, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, and Riquelme shows the farcical nature of the situation. Totti wasn't even nominated.

764dak wrote: »
    La Liga is hardly the best league in the world.
    how is not?
    4 teams in last 16 of CL
    always performing well in the Europa League too

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    how is not?
    4 teams in last 16 of CL
    always performing well in the Europa League too
    I know a comment like this would come up. You only look at the top teams. The bottom four teams in a league like the Serie A could easily dominate the bottom four teams in La Liga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I know a comment like this would come up. You only look at the top teams. The bottom four teams in a league like the Serie A could easily dominate the bottom four team in La Liga.

Define "best league"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I know a comment like this would come up. You only look at the top teams. The bottom four teams in a league like the Serie A could easily dominate the bottom four teams in La Liga.

So what is the best league in the world then?

There can certainly be no doubting that it's one of the top ones anyway, so the original point remains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Define "best league"?

highest average quality would be an obvious one.

It's funny how Ronaldo was actually smashing records the season before last (not Messi) and now people are making it look like Messi has been doing this for a few years.

The fact that Messi won Puskas Award for best goal in 2011 shows the overhype. The fact that in 2007, Messi finished 2nd in player of the year, ahead of far superior players such as Totti, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, and Riquelme shows the farcical nature of the situation. Totti wasn't even nominated.
    yeah u made some good points there
    i don't undertand Messi's goal against Brazil being up for the Puskas award this year too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

adox wrote: »
    Undoubtedly the second best Argentinian to ever play the game. :pac:

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Ronaldo got credit for any records he broke, he's just yet to break a record quite as impressive as this and Messi has been doing this for years. The better player and more impressive record should get the most hype, right?

Can't comment on the Puskas Award, no interest in it. Is it fan voted?

I also see no issue with him being voted 2nd for WPOTY, he was fantastic in the 2006/07 season. At no point since he has become a first team regular has any player in the world been "far superior" to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Bodhisopha wrote: »

Ronaldo got credit for any records he broke, he's just yet to break a record quite as impressive as this and Messi has been doing this for years. The better player and more impressive record should get the most hype, right?

Can't comment on the Puskas Award, no interest in it. Is it fan voted?

I also see no issue with him being voted 2nd for WPOTY, he was fantastic in the 2006/07 season. At no point since he has become a first team regular has any player in the world been "far superior" to him.

Don't feed them.

Advertisement