Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

niece getting a dog for Christmas, is rescuing an option?

• 09-12-2012 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    my nieces mam has been in touch to say she would like to get my 12 year old niece a dog for Christmas (I know this is a touchy subject but my nieces mam has had dogs in the past and the dog would be going to a loving home so it definitely wouldnt be just for christmas)

Now I would always automatically recommend a rescue but I am aware that they will not rehome over the Christmas period but I'm wondering when they would start to rehome again in January or if its possible to rehome one before then?
    She wouldnt necessarily want a pup. my niece understands enough about puppy farming to prefer a rescue - I have have volunteered with one before and she was very interested in the work that they did. hopefully this ends up that she would get the opportunity to rescue

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Maybe offer to foster over christmas for a rescue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

If a rescue has a policy of not rehoming dogs at Christmas, it's unlikely at this stage, given that the same rescues will invariably carry out home visits etc, that your niece would get a dog this side of Christmas.
    The same reputable rescues are also the most supportive regarding rehoming the right dog to the right home, a very important consideration when there are kids involved.
    How about looking around the different rescue groups now, seeing what dogs are on the go, getting their paperwork done and the home visit organised, so that all is in place and you're ready to go shortly after Christmas?
    In the meantime, perhaps your niece could have a basket/bed, lead and collar, and toys waiting under the Christmas trees for her as a token of the dog to come?

Now, with mod hat on, I'm afraid we cannot leave any threads open which pertain to puppies for Christmas, so I have to close this one too. If anyone wants to recommend potential rescues to the OP, please do so by PM
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement