Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennel door cover

• 09-12-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Lads I got a kennel a few months back for our new dog and it had a door with a bolt on it to lock it. Now I took that off cos she spends a good bit of time outside and I wanted to fit the door area with some form of cover. I had a mind to do something similar to what some butchers have on their freezer entrances, its like heavy plastic strips. I would love to get some of this but not sure where to look. Anybody any ideas, or better suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭morton

This is what I have on my kennel, but got the off cuts from a friend and unfortnately don't know where he got them (neither can he remember, had it in his garage for ages, sorry ). My kennel is heavily insulated and the flaps allow the dogs to come and go ( it did take a few days for them to get used to pushing their heads against the plastic as it it is slightly heavy, but manoeuvreable) it keeps the wind out and the heat in, to a point that I have to go outside to wake the dogs in the morning for their brekkie - they are fast asleep in their cave bed and are very lazy getting up with the heat!

I have done temperature checks on the kennel, and with good insulation, it has reached highs of 24 / 25 degrees and more. The dogs leave the kennel in the morning for a few hours and when I go out to give it a tidy, it's still roasting hot. In the milder weather , I tuck one of the door flaps up, to get a good circulation of cool air in for them.

Only put it up this year, and wish I'd done it sooner. Never seen happier cozy dogs so reluctant to leave their kennel! I've tried lighter flimsy plastic and a makeshift porch in the past , to block wind and rain and they were useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

i got some from our local agri store, its not in strips, but you can make strips out of it if you want. Can't remember what its called, but if you explain what you want, they'll know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Cheers lads! ;)

morton wrote: »
    My kennel is heavily insulated..

Mind me asking where and what you used for insulating it? We don't leave ours out all the time but if she's out 4 to 5 hours a day at this time of year she could get both cold and wet (flippin' weather :mad:). Insulation is a great idea but she is a terrible scratcher, paws and tears at anything not nailed down so be interested as to where you put your insulation..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I splashed out on a new kennel from Zooplus, they do insulation for them too, and pre-cut plastic flap doors. My pair love it, and cram into their new kennel, even though the old one is still there and is a bit bigger.

I keep meaning to put a high-low thermometer in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭morton

We used king span insulation board on all walls and roof, but the dogs have been known to scratch at this stuff when bored.

Like the above poster said, bigger pet shops do sell them with insulation and door flaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭jamesd

I used kinfspan too but lined it with reall light sheets of ply to stop them from scratching the kingspan.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

you could make a couple of strips out of rubber car mat for the entrance , to prevent the dog scratching at insulation put a light ply in front of the insulation and screw straight on to the inside of the kennel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

We got our kennels made but basically the insulation is covered on the inside by plywood.

I would go with external plywood for the inside as it's less likely to mould.

If the door area is a bit large you could make a frame around it and then add a dog flap which are handier in the long run because the magnetic section in it closes the door properly everytime and there's no waving about in the wind (as long as the kennel is in a sheltered spot).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Cheers guys, all great ideas. Now all I need is a few hours to start pimping it! :D

Advertisement