Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Such a beautiful horizon

• 09-12-2012 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi, used to run a bit a few years ago. I ran a Dublin Marathon, a few half Mara's and a couple of 10k's. That was a while ago now though, and now I'm starting again, pretty much from scratch. That is, I started training about 14 weeks ago having agreed to run the Barcelona Mara with a couple of mates.

So now I've just completed week 4 of the Hal Higdon intermediate 1 plan. The reason I chose this plan is that it contains 2 x 20 mile training runs. That's the very minimum for me in terms of training. I've started to do my runs, particularly my long runs using heart rate zones. Having discovered a training pace calculator on line, I plugged in my Max and resting heart rates, 190 and 58 respectively. The 190 was achieved by sprinting up a steep hill mid way through a run, the resting was taken whilst watching Ben and Holly with my son in the bed one morning. The calculator calculated that I run my easy runs between 147 and 160.

This morning I ran 11 miles and tried to keep down the lower end of that band. I averaged 150 bpm and my pace was 10:26 mins per mile. I don't have a specific target time, just to complete it safely. A time around 4hrs 20 would beatmy one and only other Mara time. I would just like to rediscover some fitness and build a foundation safely.

Have some bad habits still that I would like to kick, all in good time and I have a few pounds to lose so onwards and upwards.

See you in Barrrrrthalona.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭calabi yau

Met up with a local sprinter today to try and improve running from with a bit of pose running tuition. Quite and easy session. Was just concentrating on form and landing on the ball of my foot. If I managed a couple of k that was it really.

Felt like I managed to land on the ball of the foot more often than not and form definitely improved. Only thing is my foot was really bending inwards while running. This technique will need a lot of practice. Hopefully I will improve form though and reduce the risk of soreness / injury.

Ran 4.58 miles today in 46:24, 10:09 per mile, avg hr 161.

Ran using the pose style again. It definitely helps my form and I don't feel so all over the place. I'm just basically trying to land on the balls of my feet and avoid heel striking. I thought it went quite well.

Calves are very sore now though so will take a rest tomorrow. Gonna keep up the pose stuff though, it really helps my running form.

4.78 miles today, 45.32.
    9:32/ml
    162bpm

Nice run, felt handy enough, no pose running today.will go easy on that now until after Mara.

About 7.5 miles this morning. 9:40 per mile, bpm 158.

Yeah nursing a chest infection since Friday. Probably shouldn't have run and didn't feel much better for it tbh.

A real slog this morning

3 miles this morning, very handy, chest still holding me back. 140bpm and something like a 11.5 min/mile. Not sure that's right though.

Garmin went a bit bonkers, gave me turn by turn directions home, told me when I was AT home and turned into a compass. Had to do a bit of Orienteering to get home obviously. Watch must be getting bored at the usual oul pace, distance etc

• Advertisement

Wow, haven't logged in almost a month, still going anyway, 13 miles last Sunday. Just trying to sort out a few problems with a physio. Remaining quite hopeful

10 miles this morning. I have been having a few problems so went to physio last Thursday. This is the first physio I've been to and not physical therapist. Any who, she reckons after a thorough examination that I supinate and not over pronate, even though I've been wearing support runners for the last three years (sporadic training here and there).

Basically I've been having problems with IT bands and a ferocious pain in my upper back whilst running.

She gave me some temp orthotics to try out to correct the supination and to correct the fact that my right leg is half inch shorter than my left.

A couple of amazing things happened on this mornings run.

1. There was no back pain whatsoever, that was obviously coming from an imbalance in my biomechanics.

2. I was running a whole minute per mile faster than previous long runs at the same perceived effort. I could run tall and naturally for the first time in 4 years.

Unfortunately my it bands are quite sore though. I'm not sure if this is from the orthotics, the new shoes or the fact that I have been running faster.

That said I never felt they would get really sore on the run, it just came on afterwards.

Anyway it seems like progress to me, onwards.

7 miles yesterday, felt OK. Bit of pain on inside of left foot. Have corrected my orthotics with the physio who also said my glutes were weak. So I need to strengthen them as well with a couple of exercises.

I have a 15 Mile run at the weekend so that will reveal a lot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

You still running with a different pose or back to original?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I'd advise you get a good gait analysis done. And are you foam rolling the sore it band?

• Advertisement

Hi folks,

No I am too close to the marathon now to try and learn chi / pose running. Just trying to run comfortably and relaxed until after the marathon and then reassess the situation.

My physio did a full biomechanical assessment which for me made far more sense that the last gait analysis that I had done. I'm not too sure about the whole gait analysis thing to be honest. I was given runners for over pronating whereas my physio reckons that I am the complete opposite i.e. supinating and I believe she is right. I initially pointed out to her that I felt I was running on the outside of my foot, so the runners to correct over pronating were throwing me further to the outside of my foot as I am a natural supinator (1 in 20 foot).

My runs have been more comfortable since I changed to a neutral runner. That said the orthotics also correct a shorter right leg so that is significantly helping me also it seems (for the moment anyway).

In terms of foam rolling, I roll the ITB's twice daily, its like brushing my teeth in the morning and night for me now.

I am also doing lateral leg raises, some core stability exercises and hip raises, although not as much as I would like.

15 miles lsr this morning. Pretty amazing really to get through it I suppose considering some of the aches I've been getting.

Thought I was gonna have an issue with itb at mile 9 but I was on a serious camber and thankfully it went away.

Also experienced some foot pain at the start but again it subsided.

Just keep on keeping on I suppose.

16 miles yesterday, fingers crossed, taking her nice and handyà

4 miles yesterday and 8.5 today, all OK, few little aches and pains but all par for the course fingers crossed.

5 tomorrow then a couple of days rest followed by 12 on Sunday. It's a fall back week for me.

Completed the 5 on Thursday and took a couple of days rest. 12 tomorrow. Legs feel quite fresh, touch wood. Hoping to see a change in effort to heart bpm.

The 12 was tougher than I expected.

18 done this morning, was a bit of a horror show bar the fact that I completed it.

Barca in 4 days, taper madness is very real, so nervous now, but very excited as well. Been consistent for the last 6 months so plenty of miles in the legs. Only one tough 20 miler though. Aaaagh freakin out :)

So I completed Barcelona anyway in 4:20, that's a 10 minute pb for me. I suppose I should come clean, I used to be a regular later here called osnola ivax or OI. I didn't like the username so this is my new one.

I know it's not a fantastic time but it was genuinely the best I could manage on the day and I kept running until the end. So going to keep it going now and keep posting and running regularly again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good man B, good to see you back around here. Well done in Barcelona hope to catch up at the races some time soon. Hopefully it was an easier day out than DCM 2010 ;)
    Any more running plans?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Good man B, good to see you back around here. Well done in Barcelona hope to catch up at the races some time soon. Hopefully it was an easier day out than DCM 2010 ;)
    Any more running plans?

DCM '09 imagine. Yeah it was brilliant compared to that disaster. I'm a stone heavier but 4 years wiser. I have spent a lot of time strengthening around the weaker areas of my legs and that has helped a lot. Even recovery is not the same ordeal. That said I left nothing out there. Probably aim for DCM now and some halves and 10ks in between.

Really just looking forward to a run tomorrow. How are you getting on yourself? Sub 3 hours yet or still focusing on longer stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

calabi yau wrote: »
    DCM '09 imagine.

:eek: Really?
    Oh yeah I counted wrong :D
    No Ultras since last year, should get close to 3 in London this year, unlikely to get under. Will reassess again afterwards. See you in DCM for sure.

menoscemo wrote: »
    :eek: Really?
    Oh yeah I counted wrong :D
    No Ultras since last year, should get close to 3 in London this year, unlikely to get under. Will reassess again afterwards. See you in DCM for sure.

Cool, see you then, best of luck in London, supposed to be a fantastic race

Ran for about 20 mins today. Those 42.2 k still very much in the legs. Having a grand time recovering. Booze, curry, cigarettes and chocolate the order of the week. Will get back on track next Monday. That's 4 weeks to the Wexford half.

Maybe try to get an 10, 11 and 12 miler in before then hopefully.

Training for tri now, have created a log in tri forum

Advertisement