Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to play Sega Genesis games on my laptop: Help Needed

• 09-12-2012 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

So I followed the instructions contained in this video

which are "completely legit and completely legal", apparently. I downloaded a "Gens 32 Surreal Emulator", because I wanted a game of Sonic the Hedgehog. However, I can't seem to get the 'Surreal Emulator' to do anything other than play demos of Sonic.

Is there a way of actually playing Sonic the Hedgehog, or am I just going to be treated to this video of someone else whizzing through the various levels? Have I completely misinterpreted the point of the "Gens 32 Surreal Emulator"?

Any feedback or instructions on how to actually play would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I never heard of that emulator before which means at best it's awful, at worse it could be spyware.

Use Gens, it's far better and actually works.

Also downloading emulators is fine but downloading roms is illegal so don't ask where to get them although google helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well I never heard of that emulator before which means at best it's awful, at worse it could be spyware.

Use Gens, it's far better and actually works.

Also downloading emulators is fine but downloading roms is illegal so don't ask where to get them although google helps.

I'm pretty sure it is Gens that I have. Where can I get Gens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

sugarman wrote: »
    Get Fusion from here.

Okay, I downloaded Fusion. I have a .bin of 'Sonic the Hedgehog'. But when I load it through Fusion 3.64, again, it just runs through a demo of 'Sonic the Hedgehog'.

What do I click to get it working? Do I need to get a .Rom of 'Sonic the Hedgehog'?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just to say, you can discuss emulation and the function of emulators to your hearts content, info or links to roms and romsites are not allowed.

So, read the Fusion readme, it'll tell you where to put the roms, what state they should be in, zipped or not, and what the controls are, they can probably be modified from the emulator window.
    Also, you can probably use a USB pad to play games via the emu, and this is probably the best thing to do, so keep you eyes out for one you like.

Once you get the hang of Fusion you can try others, a good Nes, Snes, GB/C and GBA emu are great to have, my fave is the PC Engine, a cracking machine and great games.

All of this should entice you to buy the proper systems and the games that you like the best too.
    It's not that expensive a hobby at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think you just have to set the controls in the options.

• Advertisement
Advertisement