Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do people think? Easter Rising medal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Keeping out of the sticky topic (-ish) but why would a medal like that end up in a bog???

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Step23

Keeping out of the sticky topic (-ish) but why would a medal like that end up in a bog???

Its a good question.

My concern is that boggy ground is acidic and will slowly pit and dissolve metal. So if the medal is a cast copy the bubbles from casting would be put down to it being in the soil.

There does seem to be pitting on the surface of the medal.

Exact measurements might help as cast copies are slightly larger than originals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I'm just *trying* to think of a scenario how it could end up there, esp. with the two metal pieces found a long distance apart.

I've heard of ppl chucking engagement rings into lakes out of pique, but you'd want to be some philistine to rip up a medal and throw it away like that. I have heard of other finds esp. brass buttons and things, usually stuff like that came from worn-out clothes burnt and/or thrown in farm dung heaps and spead on the land afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

The whole bog thing bothers me. as said above how did it end up there ?

I buy stuff on ebay but I would never buy any Easter Rising related medals from there as there are pleanty of copies of medals and Irish army buttons being sold as Irish Volunteers.

The seller also said he would not refund if the medal is fake. So that says a lot.

The seller also said he would not refund if the medal is fake. So that says a lot.

Indeed. The medal is currently at around 344 pounds. Mad money to be gambling with.

It will be interesting to see what the medal sells for and if the deal gets done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

If I have a problem telling a fake from a good one (trust me, there are some excellent duds about) when I have one in my hand, I would have even less chance to make a decision from a photograph? Use your head lad. Never buy a story. You cannot feel weight from a picture, you cannot judge patina, you cannot feel grain, you cannot feel if it bends, you cannot see tiny flecks of oxydisation, nor hear the sound it makes when you drop it on the table from a picture. You cannot ask the seller a question and get an immediate answer and look him in the eye unless he is standing in front on you, and you cannot haggle. he has covered his bases saying he knows very little about it, so if you takes your chance and you lose, then you will be where you put yourself.
    If you want to gamble a heap of dosh go to the bookies, the odds should be a lot better.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

enfield wrote: »
    If I have a problem telling a fake from a good one (trust me, there are some excellent duds about) when I have one in my hand, I would have even less chance to make a decision from a photograph? Use your head lad. Never buy a story. You cannot feel weight from a picture, you cannot judge patina, you cannot feel grain, you cannot feel if it bends, you cannot see tiny flecks of oxydisation, nor hear the sound it makes when you drop it on the table from a picture. You cannot ask the seller a question and get an immediate answer and look him in the eye unless he is standing in front on you, and you cannot haggle. he has covered his bases saying he knows very little about it, so if you takes your chance and you lose, then you will be where you put yourself.
    If you want to gamble a heap of dosh go to the bookies, the odds should be a lot better.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

Good points Tom, I am amazed people are bidding on it. Personally if I really wanted an Easter Rising medal I'd save long and hard to buy one with provenance. At the end of the day who ever wins it will either have a bargain or an expensive copy. I'm thinking the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Exactly as you say the winner will either have a bargain or an expensive copy and he will only find out when he holds it in his hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

I wouldn't touch it! Especially at that price. I'd rather pay more for one with provenance.

For the record it sold for 676 euros.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

I would not have paid such a high price for a medal that the seller admits he knows nothing about and wont take a return if it turns out to be fake.

There are going to be a lot of this type of medal on the market coming up to 2016. I know next to nothing about how to spot a fake Irish War of Independence medals so I tend to keep clear of them.

Advertisement