Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baby Finances

• 09-12-2012 11:54pm
    Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭

I''m due my first child and I'm wondering what should I expect financially from the initial costs of pregnancy, conception and setting up. And then the monthly costs. I'm really, really prudent when it comes to finances so plenty of decent quality second hand gear will be used and few unnecessary luxuries. I'm guessing the €130 allowance won't cover it although I'm determined to make it.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The biggest cost of kids in the 1st few years is childcare.
    With a baby the 130 euro goes pretty far, nappies and formula if you bottle feed are then thing you will buy the most. Nappies are always on special somewhere though.
    You can pick up great 2nd hand buggies and clothes and toys places like adverts.ie and charity shops and you will often find people giving baby stuff away for free too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think the initial outlay for the Moses basket, cot, buggy, car seat is the most expensive part. If money is tight then I'd suggest you borrow or buy things second hand with the exception of the car seat (don't scrimp on that!) and a mattress for the basket and cot.

I'd also say you should accept any secondhand clothes offered to you and you can decide once you see them if you want to use them or not.

Nappies and wipes aren't as expensive as they used to be and as Moonbeam said they're always on special around children's allowance day. I personally use aldi nappies and find them fantastic. I use huggies wipes (in the cream packet) because they last for ages but I always buy in bulk when they're on special offer.

Formula, bottles sterilizers etc are an initial cost outlay but breastfeeding is free and pretty much requires no equipment.

There are lots of secondhand markets like aris and baby bay which are worth visiting for secondhand equipment and clothes.

The one thing I'd advise above all else is not to go buying things for a 3/6/9/12 month old baby before they're born. The chances are you'll buy something you think you'll like or they'll like but probably won't. Every baby is different with their own unusual personalities so you need to meet them first to figure out what they'll like!

Also buying as you need means you won't have to store the stuff somewhere for months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

As the others said it is all about the bigger items - cot, changing table, etc - breastfeeding is free if you can make it work for you.

Second hand is great, if you are offered stuff take it :) If people ask what they can get for you don't be shy about asking for stuff you'll need, or vouchers for somewhere you'll be buying things in later - much better than clothes that you may or may not use.

Also, I wouldn't advise buying any newborn clothes unless you and your OH are short. Clothes that are too big can be rolled up etc, but too small or just fitting and they'll be on the baby for no time - complete waste of money. We were given some 0-3 month stuff and he'd grown out of them in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Ive no baby yet but my friends are buying the breast pump, mum and dad the moses basket and another friend is making a cot for further down the line. If people ask (most people do cause they want to give you something you'll use) then tell them or ask for mothercare vouchers if your not comfortable asking straight out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

we spent a fair amount but we kinda had a plan in mind...anything we bought we made sure it could be used for a second child if there will be one (and at 39 weeks pregnant right now this child WILL be an only child! :rolleyes:) including our pram. Its also the first grandchild on both sides and with my family living overseas and his family not having any spare money we bought all of the large items ourselves. I'd say the expense was a little above the average, but we shopped early, looked for bargains and sales and tried to spend wise! also spreading the cost out over several months really helped us tons. Ikea is great for furniture for the nursery!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I agree with what all the other posters have said but one of my unforeseen expenses were the trips to the doctor - approx 35 pounds at the time. As a first time mum I hadn't a clue and most people advised if in doubt have it checked out.

I also think one of my best purchases was a cheap hand blender - I think I only bought a few baby food jars just to have in case of emergency. Those baby food jars can become very expensive.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

There are baby bay fairs held in hotels, people getting rid of stuff that their kids have grown out of. We've picked up a good bit at them over time. Stair gates, car seats, zoggs, few clothes and toys that were never worn. You can get bags of stuff for €20/€30.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

The only things I would say to get new is the matteress for the cot, and the car seat. Everything else, you can be savvy and shop around for bargains, borrow items, or buy good quality second hand.

If friends and family want to buy you gifts, then give them a list of things that they could chip in for - baby monitor, changing bag, highchair, weaning equipment etc. My family were delighted to get me something we needed instead of clothes. I got lots of hand-me-down clothes in perfect condition and plan to pass them on to the next mammy in the family adding in the new stuff we got, and dumping the stuff that is in bad shape.

During your maternity leave, the most important financial aspect is how the household income changes - do you get full maternity top up from your employer or is it the social welfare payment only? Budget for the 16 weeks unpaid even if you think you may not take it, because then you have the option to change your mind and extend your leave.

When you return to work, then childcare becomes the big spend.

The €130 child benefit goes a long way nappy, wipes and formula wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

As for doctors fees; make friends with your local pharmacist. They're highly trained medical professionals but are kind of under utilised in Ireland, in my opinion.

There were quite a few times when my son had a little thing that I was worried about but I'd ask the pharmacist and they'd either suggest a solution or refer me to my gp.

We have a wonderful Spanish pharmacist where we live and she's saved me €40 on more than a few ocassions when my son or I have had little issues.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have rarely had to bring my kids to the doctor but have brought them to the pharmacist and PHN the few times that there was something small wring with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

Adverts, rollercoaster, magicmum, done deal are all excellent for2nd hand gear. Do ur research & u can get great quality stuff from v good brands for a fraction of the original price. Give a buggy a very good look over tho as even 2nd hand they can be a few hundred & u have no comeback without a guarantee.
    Nappies & formula alone could add 20 per wk to ur bill. You get a lot of presents of clothes for ur first child.
    For me the biggest costs now are child care & weekly groceries.
    I Might have to go to the doctor once or twice a year with them now. I've a 2 & 4yr old. The first born was brought to the doc a lot once he started child care at 15mths, he picked up a lot of bugs from the other children but now he's in preschool 2 yrs & he v rarely gets sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sakinah

My baby is 14 weeks old and I never anticipated the amount of money I would spend in pharmacies!

If your baby has colic or constipation you will spend any money you can afford on stuff to make them better...and it may not all be medicines...it could be changing the bottles, buying nasal aspirator, etc etc.

On average I've been spending 40-50 a week in Boots, though that includes the food too cos my little one has had colic, constipation, a cold, cradle cap etc.

yeah we had the 144(drugs payment scheme limit) euro a month for formula because #2 could not have normal milk after being breast fed,other wise we have not spent too much in chemists mostly it is vicks for colds!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Have a 1yr old baby who we adore, we would love to have a sister/brother but we both confided that we are worried about the cost of a 2nd baby. We both are in full time jobs for now. We have all the big items (cots etc) already so those costs im not worried about but the childcare is big worry. I find my wages decimated by mortgage and creche costs. any unexpected cost (eg.new tyres for car) really but a strain on the balance. we already done obvious saving things and in general we live a fairly frugal life, very few nights out etc.
    Anyone any thoughts on how having baby no.2 worked out for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

I had a second child when her sister was 18 months. She is almost 6 months now and the only new thing we had to buy was a cot ( ikea 70 euro with mattress)as her sister is still in hers. Clothes are in a perfect condition, I am breastfeeding so no bottles, no formula. Did baby led weaning with the first one and planning to do the same, so no extra cooking or food waste, no pureed food or jars. These are small things but they add up to big savings. I manage to take additional 16 weeks of unpaid maternity leave.
    Child care will cost a fortune but we decided to take a child minder so its little bit cheaper.
    I suppose you would have to sit down and do your maths. I think its worth it but if I could I would have million kids ;)

I had a second child when her sister was 18 months. She is almost 6 months now and the only new thing we had to buy was a cot ( ikea 70 euro with mattress)as her sister is still in hers. Clothes are in a perfect condition, I am breastfeeding so no bottles, no formula. Did baby led weaning with the first one and planning to do the same, so no extra cooking or food waste, no pureed food or jars. These are small things but they add up to big savings. I manage to take additional 16 weeks of unpaid maternity leave.
    Child care will cost a fortune but we decided to take a child minder so its little bit cheaper.
    I suppose you would have to sit down and do your maths. I think its worth it but if I could I would have million kids ;)

thanks M.A., yeah we are fairly frugal as it is. How does the child minder work out? surely that cant be much less than sending both to creche??

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Well we just found a childminder and will discuss finances soon :). But from what I hear its about 1200 for full time. We paid 800 for creche for 3 days for our first. Also we will save on transport ( she will come over to our house). And kids get sick pretty often when in creche so I figured that I will save on taking time off from work.

im thinking and hoping the financial strain will ease off after a few years when she (they, if we go for no.2) get to that free year childcare, school etc.
    So can anyone tell me their experience, is it a case where things will ease up financially after a few years when the kids get to age 5 approx (i realise school has its own expenses but couldnt be as bad as childcare costs).

I think most things get more expensive as they grow up rather then cheaper.
    My 2nd child costs me nearly nothing yet as she eats with the rest of us,wears her sister clothes and there is no play school or dancing costs yet.
    My big girl (4)starts school in Sept there are the school costs,Dances classes, possibly music classes and being the eldest everything has to be bought for her.
    A 3 day week for the 2 girls in the creche was 1500 euro so it was working out just as well for me to stay at home,some days I fantasise about going to work though!!

On another note-
    If you get a childminder in to your home min wage applies and they are your employee,if you send your kids out to a childminder then she is self employed can earn 15k tax free and does her own prsi.

Advertisement