Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cartridge Misfire, hard primer or worn pin?

Options
  • 09-12-2012 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

Anyone want to help me with this one, fired or misfired I should say an Eley Maximum 4 this morning. Twice I tried to fire it through the bottom barrel of the gun and no joy..fired first time through the top...anyone experienced a prob with these shells lately or is it time to service the blaster?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Was there a firing pin mark on the primer of the cartridge when you took it out?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Dalken

Slight mark on the shell yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Its the gun, maybe there's dirt in the firing pin channel hanging it up enough to only slightly dent the primer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You've answered your own question, the cartridge was fine but the strike from the firing pin in the particular barrel is not doing the job. Can be a sign of a few different problems; worn or broken pin and a weak spring are the first ones that spring to mind.
    Drop your gun in to be serviced unless you're able to mend it yourself. It's highly likely that it's not a major problem that will be fixed rather quickly.

And as harmoniums said, a thorough cleaning will do no harm and may even sort it.

You've answered your own question, the cartridge was fine but the strike from the firing pin in the particular barrel is not doing the job. Can be a sign of a few different problems; worn or broken pin and a weak spring are the first ones that spring to mind.
    Drop your gun in to be serviced unless you're able to mend it yourself. It's highly likely that it's not a major problem that will be fixed rather quickly.

And as harmoniums said, a thorough cleaning will do no harm and may even sort it.

Cheers man, kinda feared it was the gun:mad:..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

Dalken wrote: »
    Cheers man, kinda feared it was the gun:mad:..

If it's a Browning the bottom firing pin is the problem have a look at it and see if the face of it is pitted.
    If it is then you will need to have it replaced this is a known and common job on a browning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

If this is the only time this has happened then I wouldn't go rushing off to get your gun fixed, I've had plenty of misfires over the years, there's a good chance its the cartridge, see if it happens again.

If this is the only time this has happened then I wouldn't go rushing off to get your gun fixed, I've had plenty of misfires over the years, there's a good chance its the cartridge, see if it happens again.

First time it happened since the last time it was serviced, it is a Browning by the way. I've fired a few shells since the misfire and no problem. These were shells a friend lent me for a mornings duck flighting he said he has had them three years or so. No visible signs of age on the shells though.
    I just dont want to service the gun at the height of the season any DIY job I could do on it?

Thanks to all who've replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Absolutely, wait until you have consistentcy with the problem over different lot numbers, cartridge type etc, etc. Often pulled the trigger several times on the same rimfire cartridge and nothing, removed it and rotated the case, reloaded and squeezed the trigger and bang.........
    As my Granada would say 'give it a lick of an oily rag.....'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

any DIY job I could do on it?

Your problem is mental....... stop thinking about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

Sounds like a hard primer to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Its a dodgy shell if it only happened the once...put it out of your mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭stoeger2000

I had the same problem with eley shells last year. had it with several from one box. primers were being well marked, but they just wouldn't fire. happened in 2 different guns too, so def the shells. I'd heard it from the sec of the gun club that eley primers are inconsistent so I contacted eley in UK to let them know. they asked for pics and the carton to be sent to them. I sent it all off, and didn't hear back from them. when I chased it up after 6 months, the said they never received anything. I sent on the photos via email, but the carton had been posted, so i didn't have that. Their reply was that it was obviously a gun issue, and that as I didnt have the cartridge carton, they couldn't check on the batch number or anything. so I left it at that, but this season I bought a carton of RC sipe for game, and I use fiocchi on clays. will NEVER buy Eley again. And the other day was out for a shot with another lad, fine cock pheasant got up 20yds in front of him, he put the gun up and click, click. guess what he was using................ eley super game!!! another man that will be buying something other than eley in the future I reckon.

I have to say that I never had a problem with Eley before. That sounds vert poor customer service I wouldnt be to enamored to hear that story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭stoeger2000

I have to say that I never had a problem with Eley before. That sounds very poor customer service I wouldnt be to enamored to hear that story.

i had the odd problem with them over the years, but it was mainly with the olympic trap shells, when i was shooting clays, and never thought much of it as if its only one or two every 500 shells, its not a big deal.

but, yeah, wasn't too impressed with their customer service.

Advertisement