Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling/Moving away - Solo!!

Options
  • 10-12-2012 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just a post looking for stories from people who have moved to a different country at one stage in their life and did it on their own steam (i.e. alone). :P

What motivated you to do so? What age were you and was it a success?
    Were you able to settle in ok with the new culture, etc.

I'm here studying my mind into smithereens, so this thread is pure procrastination on my part. . . . . . . really interested in hearing from others as I have signed up for a few more years of study here, but when I'm done, I'd love to travel (maybe even solo!!) :)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,946 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Went travelling at 39, alone.

Stopped in Galway for the winter, and kinda got stuck here :)

Motivation: for travelling, curiosity. for staying ... a man, and the fact that so many other places I want to explore are so close to here, and so far from where I come from.

Settle in ok - yes.

Quick tip: whatever you hobbies are, join an active club / group / team in that activitiy, and volunteer to do stuff (join the committee, organise a team, etc). This makes you popular with people who want volunteers, gets you involved with a range of people in your new "home". It can take a good while to make friends, but this gets you some acuaintences to fill the gap in the meantime.

Another tip: after about 6 months, you will see everything that is wrong with the new place. Every country / system has flaws ... expect this, don't get too despondent or give up at that point, or you'll never settle anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

Moved to the continent on my own at the age of 30. Had been planning it for about 18 months and it was something I was really determined to do it for the life experience. Had no job, home, friends or family waiting for me on the other side and my language skills were pretty basic but it turned out to be one of the best things I've ever done. Got a permanent job within a couple of months and ended up staying there for 4 and half years. Met my long-term and Irish girlfriend whilst there and that's how I've ended up on these fair shores. I was lucky because it was before the collective EU economies took a nose-dive and I do wonder if it would now be possible for me to repeat such a big move. But still my advice to anyone thinking of taking the plunge and moving abroad is most definitely to go for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

In the past, I've moved to and lived in Scotland and America on my own when I was in my 20's. I would suggest it's better because you have to make new friends and get into the local culture. If you move with a pal, you might just stick to the local Irish pub scene/sub-culture and never meet the 'locals'...

Personally, I'd go on my own. You can be whoever you want and do whatever you want when you get there!!

Advertisement