Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair falling out - too much peroxide :-(

• 10-12-2012 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Hi All

Need major help here, got my hair highlighted during the week, there was a lot of breakage and clumps of chair fell out, there are no bald patches but its thin, very thin. I just washed it for the first time and a lot more has come out. Is hair going to keep falling out? I've been having highlights for 10 years and it has never happened this much.

Hairdresser is a friend who works from home, she has apologised profusely, and advised she will be buying me x, y and z to help. Fact of the matter, she has ruined my hair and I can't even bare to talk to her yet. I'm having serious bouts of depression here. I'm close to tears every time I think about it, sometimes there are tears.

How can I gets hair back to its old condition/thickness, any suggestions or guidance is much appreciated :-(

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Wexy86 wrote: »
    Hi All

Need major help here, got my hair highlighted during the week, there was a lot of breakage and clumps of chair fell out, there are no bald patches but its thin, very thin. I just washed it for the first time and a lot more has come out. Is hair going to keep falling out? I've been having highlights for 10 years and it has never happened this much.

Hairdresser is a friend who works from home, she has apologised profusely, and advised she will be buying me x, y and z to help. Fact of the matter, she has ruined my hair and I can't even bare to talk to her yet. I'm having serious bouts of depression here. I'm close to tears every time I think about it, sometimes there are tears.

How can I gets hair back to its old condition/thickness, any suggestions or guidance is much appreciated :-(
    Did she not do a patch test first?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

No, she's been doing it for over a years in my hair so didn't think it was necessary. Would have been my 5th session with her, every 7/8 weeks I get a full head.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No, she's been doing it for over a years in my hair so didn't think it was necessary. Would have been my 5th session with her, every 7/8 weeks I get a full head.

Hmm I'd want her to be checking the condition of my hair before applying peroxide to it, I get my hair straightened and it's patch tested to see how strong it is

Coconut oil is supposed to be good for improving condition of hair, other than that I've no other suggestions than letting it grow out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

You poor thing.

My hairdresser told me I was in danger of having my hair fall out from too much bleach also. He insisted I would still have quite blonde hair if I put in a combination of highlights and lowlights instead of just highlights. He only puts the highlight onto the grown out root and does not extend it down the lower parts of the hair shafts which remain bright. Layering bleach atop bleach destroys hair and is something a lot of hairdressers do. The lowlight reconditions the hair and does still look very blonde. 8 weeks for a full head is a lot... Are you sure you need that much bleach that often?

The hairdresser who sorted my hair was Karl in Ozlo Hair Design in Dublin. If you are about, pop in and ask him for advice. He saved my hair. Although your friend is trying to help, she destroyed your hair in the first place and as a trained hairdresser should have known better. You need a second and possibly third opinion.

Next, use dry shampoo for a few days to avoid washing your hair and putting more stress on it. If you do need to wash it, use a sulphate free shampoo and conditioner that is designed to repair and condition the hair. Go very heavy on the conditioner and if I were you I'd soak your hair in reconstructive deep conditioner and oil every night for the next week. Be gentle when brushing and don't use heat on it.

Other than that, all I can say is get yourself to a hairdresser with a really good reputation pronto!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Philip Kingsley elasticizer is brilliant for damaged hair, they also do an extreme one but the original is still a miracle worker, it's expensive but worth it.

Coconut oil is a good treatment as someone mentioned, you can even leave it in your hair while you apply bleach or dye and it protects it but doesn't stop the bleach or colour from working.

Maxi hair vitamins are brilliant for strengthening hair too, I got mine from iherb but you may be able to get them from somewhere closer to home if you want them in a hurry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

rather than your friend paying for products could she pay for you to visit a professional in a salon to help fix this? I know she has done your hair a few times but was anything different this time e.g. length of time it was left on or strength of bleach used?

what you might need (based on my own hair being in sh*te years ago from bad highlights) is a treatment with protein in it joico kpac is not bad and redken extreme products are very good the cat is good stuff.

How long is your hair?

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    You poor thing.

8 weeks for a full head is a lot... Are you sure you need that much bleach that often?

The hairdresser who sorted my hair was Karl in Ozlo Hair Design in Dublin. !

Best of luck!

I'm sure i don't need it every 8 weeks, was just paranoid about my roots showing - and I'm based in Wexford, I am in town a lot for work so I'll def keep Karl in mind, thanks for the recommendation.
    Tayla wrote: »
    Philip Kingsley elasticizer is brilliant for damaged hair, they also do an extreme one but the original is still a miracle worker, it's expensive but worth it.

Maxi hair vitamins are brilliant for strengthening hair too, I got mine from iherb but you may be able to get them from somewhere closer to home if you want them in a hurry.

Do you know where I could buy the Philip Kingsley elasticizer, have you used both Tayla? I'm open to any suggestions! Also are these vitamins avialable in my local health shops or through Sally Salon and the likes?
    rather than your friend paying for products could she pay for you to visit a professional in a salon to help fix this?.

How long is your hair?
    My hair is kinda long, just past my shoulder, have been growing it for 4 years or so, had a shocking bad bob at one stage and it has haunted me from ever having short hair again!

She dropped a few items to my Mam's this eve
    • Joico K PAK liquid reconstructor - a spray
    • Aphogee Intensive Two Minute Keratin Reconstructor
    • Aphogee Shampoo
    • Kelp tablets (not sure was this is about, googled it an no proven facts to show it helps)

Along with a sorry card and her credit card details in case I see something. She also explained to my Mam that she will cover any costs I might incurr - I kind of feel like a b*tch now but still, my hair fell/is falling out.:(

I never put much effort into my hair with regards treatments/masks, i thought as I only used heat on my hair about once a week I was ok, obviously not!

Thank you so much for all the suggestions and keep them coming if anyone has anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

My hair was badly damaged from going to a hairdresser who was using cheap bleach. I've changed hairdressers since and it's taken about 6 months to get my hair back to it's normal condition. I've been using the Redken Extreme range - shampoo, conditioner and anti-snap leave in treatment. There's a really good offer on the shampoo and conditioner on feelunique.com at the moment, both together for €22. Well worth investing in, they last for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

She dropped a few items to my Mam's this eve
    • Joico K PAK liquid reconstructor - a spray
    • Aphogee Intensive Two Minute Keratin Reconstructor
    • Aphogee Shampoo
    • Kelp tablets (not sure was this is about, googled it an no proven facts to show it helps)

i have the k pak its good stuff .

I also take kelp tablets. Some people say they dont work I reckon they do on me anyway. However I find they work as in they help your hair to grow and grow nice and shiny. I dont think they will do anything for existing hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

I agree with Joico K-Pak products. I have the Moisture Intense Hydrator Treatment. It has less amount of protein/keratin in it than the Deep Penetrating Reconstructer Treatment. I chose to start with the less intense one and I'm quite happy with it.

It may sound a bit disgusting but the best thing to do is to wash your hair less. I used to wash my hair every day or every other day but now I only wash it twice a week. You hair gets used to it in a quite short time and doesn't get oily as fast. Dry shampoo is your best friend. But washing your hair less is THE essential thing to do.

I use oils as a pre-shampoo treatment every time I wash my hair. My favourites are coconut oil and olive oil. My hair would be in much worse shape if I don't use oils.

I recommend using sulfate free shampoos as well. The best is L'Oreal Ever Pure imho. I tried so many and this works better than more expensive counterparts.

Other products I like are Aussie 3-minute Minute miracle and the Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Creme, which is really a leave in creme but I use it as a normal conditioner; Redken Extreme Cat, hair oils in general, Kerastase Ciment-Termique, Bumble and Bumble Leave-in conditioner.

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Do you know where I could buy the Philip Kingsley elasticizer, have you used both Tayla? I'm open to any suggestions! Also are these vitamins avialable in my local health shops or through Sally Salon and the likes?

I bought the Philip Kingsley from either Feelunique or lookfantastic.com. Sallys may do sachets of it though to try it though, you might find it in some salons but it's cheaper online, it works out better value to get the 500ml if you can find it.

I'm not sure about the multivitamins, you could always ask in a health shop if they can order them in for you, they are called country life maxi hair vitamins.

Be careful with any protein products such as the Joico Kpac, I have used Redken deep fuel before which was excellent but it's discontinued now but the Joico Kpac shampoo and conditioner made my hair feel like absolute crap..so crap in fact that I dyed my blonde hair back to dark because I thought my hair was in a mess and it was only when I went back to dark that I realised my hair was in perfect condition, it was the Joico which made it feel like it was destroyed.

(That's how I ended up damaging my hair because I then went blonde again after that but i'm back dark for good now and have repaired all the damage with the vitamins and philip kingsley elasticizer and some other deep conditioners.)

Anyway like I said be careful with protein products, they don't suit some peoples hair, Joico is a definite no no for me but I could use the Redken deep fuel and I use the Mane 'n' tail deep moisturising shampoo with no problems either.

Like another poster said try not to wash it very often.

Get some coconut oil and melt it and leave it in your hair for a few hours.

A couple of intensive conditioners that I found brilliant are the Macadamia oil deep repair mask http://www.amazon.co.uk/Macadamia-Deep-Repair-Hair-Masque/dp/B002WTC37A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355248316&sr=8-1

If you subscribe and save you can get for £11.52 with free shipping, you can cancel the subscription at any time.

This is also great http://www.feelunique.com/p/Osmo-Essence-Intensive-Deep-Repair-Mask-250ml and again you may be able to buy sachets of it in sallys to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

There's not much you can do for damaged hair. You would want to seriously consider getting a good chunk of it chopped off. And as others have said avoid washing it too often and heat etc. I used to use Redken anti snap when I had really blonde hair, it protects your hair so it should help it from getting any worse anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

You poor thing. I had a Similar experience about 6 years ago. Hairdresser went mad with peroxide, my hair was destroyed. It was shedding from the root and snapping at the mid length... Went straight to a new hairdresser who recommended I started to treat it right away with the redken extreme CAT, she told me to spray it on towel tried hair 5 times with 10 minute intervals and rinse out, was hassle but well worth it, also the redken extreme deep fuel- used to come in a box with 5 little sachets? Tried to get it again recently but its been discontinued but think they have something similar in a pot....

Best of luck and chin up! As soon as you start treating it you'll see improvements!!

The 2nd hairdresser I went to see kept assessing my hair for bout 3 weeks before she dyed it brown, didn't look back after that.

Also your hairdresser must be sickened and its very good of her to offer to cover all chargers and get the stuff for you..... The one I went to never even bothered to apologize. Still annoys me thinking about it :(

Said I'd give an update of where I'm at

Bought a lot a Joico K-Pak stuff on everyone's recommendation, shampoo, conditioner, serum, leave in spray and then a treatment to be used weekly. I went to local well regarded salon that stocked these and met the owner who had a look at my hair while I was there.

He told me my hair is a bad condition but there are no bald patches - yet! I need to use the products and refrain from strong bleach for a while to give my hair to chance to recover along with no unnecessary heat - he told me there is no point in treatments yet, my hair is too delicate to deal with anything else at this stage.

As what ye ladies said I should be only trying to wash it twice a week, I think I can manage this from now until the new year as I won't be really going gym, but what about gym days, there's no way you couldn't wash your hair after sweating it out!?

washed my hair again for the second time since getting it coloured and there was very little hair loss, just the average so there's one plus :-)

Thanks everyone for the recommendations, it was reassuring and made me feel a lot better :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ci0lly

Eeek! I have had same done to my hair , it's a horrible feeling so I feel for you ;(

First of you should only have a full head 2/3 times yearly max ....so a good chop ..tints only (if u really need to colour) and time really .. I had a 2inch spike which has taken a full year to look normal :( good luck x

Ci0lly wrote: »
    Eeek! I have had same done to my hair , it's a horrible feeling so I feel for you ;(

I had a 2inch spike which has taken a full year to look normal :( good luck x

I'm not taking as much pity in myself these days!! I have a few spikes at the nape of my neck :-(
    I got some really good products and had some treatments, my hair is already looking and feeling in better condition, its just very very thin.

I can't really wear it curly anymore as it doesn't have the thickness and volume it used to have but at least I have no bald patches (that I can see anyway)

I'd normally be thinking about getting my roots done now but it will send be another 6-8 weeks and only a t-bar and a weaker strength bleach at that - ill hair pretend I'm rocking the balayage effect :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 kiitycat

def get redken extreme shampoo and conditioner there a little pricy but so worth it also use perfectil tablets ur hair will get stronger and thicker aiv been using them and its brillant on the hair best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

If it's just your roots you're worried about you should be getting T-bars rather than a full head each time.

Advertisement