Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use an old eircom router as an access point

• 10-12-2012 12:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Hi

I live in a 3 story old house with thick walls.
    I have broadband with UPC, and the router is on the top floor. I cannot get wifi on the ground floor as the signal will not reach

Can I use an old eircom router as an access point on the ground floor and just connect it to the main router upstairs with a long ethernet cable?

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Yes, it should work, as long as you connect it to a PC first, direct to the Ethernet port, and make sure that the DHCP protocol has been disabled, and that the IP address is not the same as your main router, but has an identical start, example, if your main router is 192.168.0.1, make sure that the address of the old Eircom is set to 192,168.0.3, and that the DHCP address allocations start at 192,168.0.10 or similar, to avoid the main router trying to allocate the address that's set in the old Eircom device. You might need to power cycle both routers when they are connected together to make sure that there's no other conflicts.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement