Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it safe for a puppy to sleep without its head being supported?

• 10-12-2012 3:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Odd question I know :D

Basically we just got a new lab puppy this afternoon who seems to already feel completely at home in our house :D She's sleeping on the sofa right now, but the thing is she's not supporting her head at all, she's basically sleeping with her paws facing the back of the sofa and her head hanging down over the side of it. Every time I move her so her head is lying flat on the sofa, she eventually rolls around so her head is once again dangling over the side.

Is this safe? I can't imagine it's all that healthy for all the blood to rushing down to her head all night, I know when I lie in that position my face gets all red and I feel like I'm going to burst a blood vessel in my face! Should I keep trying to move her or leave her the way she seems to want to lie?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Put her on the floor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My retriever sleeps like that all the time! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Dogs and humans have very different pysiology, so I wouldn't worry about it; if it's uncomfortable she'll move. If you're worried that she'll fall off the sofa then put her on the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

our dog sleeps like that on the couch all the time...one time she was so far over the edge of the couch she started to slide off! she didnt wake until I caught her!

Advertisement