Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured dew claw?

• 10-12-2012 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I think my dog has injured her dew claw. She is a one year old lurcher. Not sure how it happened, but yesterday brought her out for her run, and she may have caught it in something, because next thing, I heard an almighty scream (literally!), and the dog throwing herself on the ground, licking her paw. Funnily enough, 2 mins later, there was not a bother on her, and she was trying to run about again!

Took a look at it last night, and the nail seems to be cracked down the middle, and sitting at a slight angle (compared to the other paw). She's not limping, but she yelps when I touch it, so it's obviously sore.

After a some googling, there seems to be a lot of information about getting the claws removed, and how dangerous this can be for adult dog? Taking her to the vet today, but what should I expect? A bit apprehensive if he suggests removal, because seemingly this is very painful, etc. Does anyone have any experiebce with this? Or will vet just bandage it, and send us on our way? Very panicky about my poor girl! Haha

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Rocket19 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I think my dog has injured her dew claw. She is a one year old lurcher. Not sure how it happened, but yesterday brought her out for her run, and she may have caught it in something, because next thing, I heard an almighty scream (literally!), and the dog throwing herself on the ground, licking her paw. Funnily enough, 2 mins later, there was not a bother on her, and she was trying to run about again!

Took a look at it last night, and the nail seems to be cracked down the middle, and sitting at a slight angle (compared to the other paw). She's not limping, but she yelps when I touch it, so it's obviously sore.

After a some googling, there seems to be a lot of information about getting the claws removed, and how dangerous this can be for adult dog? Taking her to the vet today, but what should I expect? A bit apprehensive if he suggests removal, because seemingly this is very painful, etc. Does anyone have any experiebce with this? Or will vet just bandage it, and send us on our way? Very panicky about my poor girl! Haha

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Something similar happened to one of my dogs nails and it was hanging off, she seemed grand but wouldn't let me go near it. Went to vet and it had to be removed as the nerve was exposed. She had to gave an anathestic and an overnight stay if my memory serves me correct! It has grown back now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

my lurcher ripped off one hind dew claw as a youngster, so I had the other one removed at the same time as he was neutered. It was only one stitch, but took a while to heal. Very happy they're gone as he's the type to go racing through undergrowth.
    If it's a very skinny lurcher make sure your vet knows to take care with the anaesthetic - some types are more dangerous for dogs with little body fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Same thing happened with my guy not long ago - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056792091 His was cracked but not all the way down so they were able to cut it right back without having to sedate him and bandage it up. It was very painful for him and we had to bathe the wound for a few days after the bandage came off but once the quick hardened again he was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

Thanks a million guys! Just back from the vet.

She said the claw was just a bit swollen, as well as being cracked and sore. She clipped it down, and there was no need for a bandage or anything. Was instructed to use a sock/sellotape if claw still looks inflamed in a few days!

She gave an antibiotic via injection, and the second orally. Vet has made a note to administer all future antibiotics orally because of the manner Sparrow screamed the place down over the needle!!! Such a baby :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Rocket19 wrote: »
    Vet has made a note to administer all future antibiotics orally because of the manner Sparrow screamed the place down over the needle!!! Such a baby :P

It seems to be a thing with the breed. You literally just have to look at them in practice and they start bawling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

Same situation as yourself with my own girl (collie x setter x spaniel, questionable mismash :rolleyes:) - we did the wait and see how it goes routine and for her it didn't end up working out, it wasn't healing as expected - so the vet advised for its removal, he also advised that while she was out for the count having it removed, that he also take the other as it would most likely eventually have the same fate and we'd be in the same position again.

She's never had a problem, bother or complaint about them. She wasn't happy at the time about not being able to run and not being able to chew those bandages off - but she coped and they healed fast and well. I don' think she knows or cares they aren't there anymore. So, I wouldn't worry about the worst happening and the dog needing them removed. Its a surgery, so yes its a risk and a worry, but its a minor one and you watch videos of dogs with only 2 legs or 3 legs living a great life - dew claws are like thumbs they couldnt use anyway. She wouldn't miss them!

Advertisement