If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AV Receiver Upgrade

Options
  • 10-12-2012 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Bought a kit off you a good few years back.
    Sony AV Receiver, and 5 speakers and subwoofer.
    Need to upgrade receiver to something with a few HDMI inputs.
    Don't need anything too fancy.
    Was thinking of the SONY STRDH520.
    Would that be my best option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

garlad wrote: »
    Hi,
    Bought a kit off you a good few years back.
    Sony AV Receiver, and 5 speakers and subwoofer.
    Need to upgrade receiver to something with a few HDMI inputs.
    Don't need anything too fancy.
    Was thinking of the SONY STRDH520.
    Would that be my best option?

Garlad sorry for hijacking your thread but I was about to post the exact same question only I wanted to ask an opinion on the Sony STRDH520 and a Onkyo TXSR313 (179 pounds on UK Site) I also have an old Sony kit but the only problem I have it the woofer is passive, I imagine the cubes form my old Sony DAVS300 will be ok for now but do I also need a woofer ?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

bennyc wrote: »
    Garlad sorry for hijacking your thread but I was about to post the exact same question only I wanted to ask an opinion on the Sony STRDH520 and a Onkyo TXSR313 (179 pounds on UK Site) I also have an old Sony kit but the only problem I have it the woofer is passive, I imagine the cubes form my old Sony DAVS300 will be ok for now but do I also need a woofer ?

Garlad & Benny,

thanks for your posts and to be honest if I was thinking of spending £160 ish on an AV receiver I would go for the Pioneer VSX322 over the Sony - both of them are excellent units and to be fair the Sony is a 7.1 whilst the Pioneer is a 5.1 - however very few people ever actually use the extra speakers and the Pioneer's audio quality is superior to the Sony..

If you were to use the cubes from the 380 - you would need to add a sub - I would recommend either the Tannoy SFX sub at £99.95:
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/subwoofers/tannoy/sfx-sub/tann-sfx-sub-blk

Or the Monitor Audio Vector VW8 at £119.95:
    http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/vector/vw8/

Have a look at the Pioneer here: http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/pioneer/vsx322/pion-vsx322-blk

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Will the Sony STRDH520 work with my old speakers from my STR-DE475 kit?
    And what about onscreen setup (Sony Bravia KDL-46W4500)? I read that there is some on screen capabilities with some bravia models.
    Presume the Bravia Sync will work with above TV and PS3?
    If so, can you order one up for before Christmas?
    Cheers

Will the Sony STRDH520 work with my old speakers from my STR-DE475 kit?
    And what about onscreen setup (Sony Bravia KDL-46W4500)? I read that there is some on screen capabilities with some bravia models.
    Presume the Bravia Sync will work with above TV and PS3?
    If so, can you order one up for before Christmas?
    Cheers

garlad,

apologies for the delay getting back to you - here is the manual for the 520 for your interest:

http://www.richersounds.com/static/manuals/strdh520.pdf

I'm not sure which speakers you got with your 475 - but it uses an active Subwoofer so I can't think that there would be any issue using them as starter speakers with your STRDH520.

We have a (very) few of the STRDH520's in stock so if you revert sharpish - there should not be an issue getting delivery prior to Christmas.

Keep me posted if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

garlad,

apologies for the delay getting back to you - here is the manual for the 520 for your interest:

http://www.richersounds.com/static/manuals/strdh520.pdf

I'm not sure which speakers you got with your 475 - but it uses an active Subwoofer so I can't think that there would be any issue using them as starter speakers with your STRDH520.

We have a (very) few of the STRDH520's in stock so if you revert sharpish - there should not be an issue getting delivery prior to Christmas.

Keep me posted if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi
    The speakers I have are SS v225. Subwoofer is powered.
    Should be ok right?

• Advertisement

HI John,
    Tried calling you last Friday. Dropped you a mail about this.
    Can you get back to me please?

John,
    Can you get back to me on this? Getting close to Christmas

John,
    Can you get back to me on this? Getting close to Christmas

Gar, apologies for the delay - it's on our system and I've asked the guys to give you a shout to get the delivery sorted for you asap,

Apologies again for the delay and give me a shout if I can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

Hi,

Can someone help me with a similar issue?
    I recently got a wii u for Xmas and it annoyingly ONLY does surround sound via hdmi lpcm 5.1.
    I.e. The Wii U only supports LPCM 1.0, 2.0 and 5.1

I am interested in buying the Pioneer vsx322 from RicherSounds but I can't see in its specs if it supports lpcm 5.1. That said, I did a comparison against a top end av receiver and I couldn't find any use of the term "lpcm 5.1" so I'm guessing that I am getting confused somewhere in all this terminology!

Does anyone know if either of the units mentioned above (Sony strdh520 or Pioneer vsx322) will work with my wii u? I also use it with an Xbox 360 that up until now, works fine via optical out on my current old Sony av receiver. Can I still use an optical connector on these boxes for my Xbox?

Many thanks!
    -DD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.