Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC graphics card crash?

Options
  • 10-12-2012 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My pc crashed last night - froze in 16 bit color. will not start now.

See attached screens.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

sticker wrote: »
    Hi all,

My pc crashed last night - froze in 16 bit color. will not start now.

See attached screens.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks

one of 3 possible faults

1. screen resolution set too high for the monitor to handle - boot up and spam F8 and boot to vga mode option... this will allow you lower the screen resolution to something the monitor can handle try 1400x900

2. corrupt graphics card drivers - update your graphics card drivers.

3. busted graphics card - time to buy a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

thanks for your response I think it would be option 3 that the graphics card has gone.

thanks for your response I think it would be option 3 that the graphics card has gone.

option 4 is your psu powerful enough?

lack of power will make graphics cards do funny things

It's a standard Dell - so I would think the psu would be able to support it - unless that's the fault of course...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Is it a Nvidia 8 series card?

Nick

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I went down to Maplins in blanch - and got a new GeForce GT610 - Seems to have done the trick - So it was a dodgy GFX card.

On a side note, the young sales guy in Maplins was extremely helpful, but the manager was the so dismissive, ignormant and unhelpful. I wouldn't mind, but the shop was completly empty! - He was more interested in setting out the displays that helping a paying customer with a query - A real tosser that needs a solid lesson in customer care.

Thanks for all the help here all - much appreciated.

EDIT - an old school driver query(!) - Do I just download the lastest GFX drivers fron nvidia and install straight away or do I need to uninstalll the previous GFX drivers first?

Hi all,

I went down to Maplins in blanch - and got a new GeForce GT610 - Seems to have done the trick - So it was a dodgy GFX card.

On a side note, the young sales guy in Maplins was extremely helpful, but the manager was the so dismissive, ignormant and unhelpful. I wouldn't mind, but the shop was completly empty! - He was more interested in setting out the displays that helping a paying customer with a query - A real tosser that needs a solid lesson in customer care.

Thanks for all the help here all - much appreciated.

EDIT - an old school driver query(!) - Do I just download the lastest GFX drivers fron nvidia and install straight away or do I need to uninstalll the previous GFX drivers first?

its best uninstall the old ones first but most of the time nvidia's installer will do that automatically when your updating unless your old gcard was an ati card... in that case uninstall the ati drivers before you put on the nvidia drivers.

its best uninstall the old ones first but most of the time nvidia's installer will do that automatically when your updating unless your old gcard was an ati card... in that case uninstall the ati drivers before you put on the nvidia drivers.

OK - thanks!

Advertisement