Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you had your own holodeck

Options
  • 10-12-2012 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

What would you create?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I think Barclay was on the right track....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

I think we all know what the holodeck would really be used for! lol

I think we all know what the holodeck would really be used for! lol

Calisthenics programs, of what nature I'll not say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

and for when you are no using it for callisthenics programs, it'd be used for playing Medal of Honour. With the safety protocols on, it would be in god mode all the time!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

You know the way we look back on the ancients and feel sorry for them because they didn't have TV, the internet or Star Trek? Well in 1000 years that's how future people will look back on us for not having holodecks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Give me a holodeck and a replicator and i'd be a happy happy man :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Wouldn't go near one of them.

There's always a chance the holodeck grid might explode. The safeties can apparently be switched off very easily, there's a chance a holodeck character will become sentient and try to kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

You know the way we look back on the ancients and feel sorry for them because they didn't have TV, the internet or Star Trek? Well in 1000 years that's how future people will look back on us for not having holodecks.

I'd be wary about the collateral effect of certain technologies, afterall in the '60s and '70s there were no Internet, tablets and smartphones and everybody was watching Star Trek; Now we have all these amenities and everybody's watching Jersey Shore and The Only Way is Essex...:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The trouble would be cleaning up the stains after usage. Would it affect the electrics ? Problems, nothing but problems.

• Advertisement

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I'd be wary about the collateral effect of certain technologies, afterall in the '60s and '70s there were no Internet, tablets and smartphones and everybody was watching Star Trek; Now we have all these amenities and everybody's watching Jersey Shore and The Only Way is Essex...:P

Genius, my new sig :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Oh wait, the first thing I would do, is get the Vic Fontaine program, download it to a USB key, delete it from the computer, then phaser the USB key.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Oh wait, the first thing I would do, is get the Vic Fontaine program, download it to a USB key, delete it from the computer, then phaser the USB key.

I love Vic Fontaine! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

EnterNow wrote: »
    I love Vic Fontaine! :(

gtfo my internet

gtfo my internet

Hey palies, have you no class?

Surely Fairhaven or Flotter should be deleted/vaporised first?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Load up 'Photons be Free' and go on a killing spree. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

A technology with similar abilities is inevitable. It's just a matter of when. We'll be able to manage the projecting of photorealistic three dimensional images relatively soon (decades). It's the tactile feedback side of it will be what takes decades/centuries more to develop I'd venture.

Even without that aspect, such 3D photo-realistic immersive tech. will bring a whole pile of questions and implications with it. It'll be possible from just a photograph for a computer to interpolate and generate a pretty accurately rendered full body avatar of anyone. Think of the copyright, privacy issues that'll throw up.

But to hell with all that because the "games" will only be ****ing awesome!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Goldstein wrote: »
    A technology with similar abilities is inevitable. It's just a matter of when. We'll be able to manage the projecting of photorealistic three dimensional images relatively soon (decades). It's the tactile feedback side of it will be what takes decades/centuries more to develop I'd venture.

Even without that aspect, such 3D photo-realistic immersive tech. will bring a whole pile of questions and implications with it. It'll be possible from just a photograph for a computer to interpolate and generate a pretty accurately rendered full body avatar of anyone. Think of the copyright, privacy issues that'll throw up.

From a technical standpoint, I'm not sure holodecks are possible in the way we know them from star trek. A big room with holograms you can touch. We can actually already produce a fully three dimensional hologram. Lot's of them about that you can google. But as you said, the tactile response part of it just seems impossible to accomplish. How do you produce a solid object from light?

But I think it will be possible in a way. When we dream, everything seems real. When we touch something in the dream, it feels real because we know what it feels like in real life. That's what scientists need to tap into. Put you into a semi conscious state and deliver the experience that way. Tailored dreams in a fashion. That's the sort of "holodeck" we will see in the future in my opinion. It's not as farfetched as it initially sounds. We can already make people dream and hallucinate....we just can't control it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, matrix-esque artificial neural feedback seems eminently a lot more plausible and doable than proper tactile feedback from 3-dimensional holograms.

Though something a lot less invasive would be nicer. A helmet which delivers a small electrical field through the spine below the skull to induce full-body paralysis, while providing sensory feedback through pads against the head. Proper virtual reality, and since we're already at a point where we can artificially create "eyes" for someone through direct stimulation of that part of the brain, this kind of VR technology isn't a long way off (in relative terms).

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Though something a lot less invasive would be nicer. A helmet which delivers a small electrical field through the spine below the skull to induce full-body paralysis, while providing sensory feedback through pads against the head. Proper virtual reality, and since we're already at a point where we can artificially create "eyes" for someone through direct stimulation of that part of the brain, this kind of VR technology isn't a long way off (in relative terms).

Ugh, not sure i could ever go for that. Full body paralysis? Bet i'd end up getting stuck like that :eek:

I also don't think a fully tactile holodeck is likely at all. I know it was light, but they also used replicator technology in conjunction with containment fields to create the solid objects. So first we need a way to synthesize particles, then to arrange them, them to allow for them to move, then for them to have certain properties etc etc. I seriously can't see that happening.

I agree with Matrix'esque style 'immersion' though. If we can tap into the brain, the skys the limit really.

Goldstein wrote: »

3D SEX

But seriously, maybe it would be possible to send a signal to the brain with visual, sensory info and other forms of information relating to narrative, physics, etc to create an immersive world. It would be an experience, not exactly like a dream, as dreams are hard to remember, they have a different quality to memories, they're more ephemeral, more rooted in symbology and the vibe they emit rather than what actually happens in them. Would it be necessary to induce paralysis? I guess this is where the dream state would come into play in that you can move in a dream but you don't actually move in the physical world. Along with robots to clean up and cook food this is one area of technology where the lack of progress baffles me. It seems people are content to eat unhealthy food rather than demand better AI for robot servants, which we could achieve sooner rather than later if the will was there. And ditto for holodecks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Vulcan Love Slave anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 science_ed

I wrote a bit on how Star Trek technology like replicators, phasers and tractor beams are already being built today, way ahead of the 24th century. Have a read - www.thegazeboeffect.wordpress.com

Oh and I'd use the holodeck to go watch a show in the Colosseum in the olden days. Probably because Gladiator was on the other night. Good man Maximus.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Kiith wrote: »
    Give me a holodeck and a replicator and i'd be a happy happy man :P

3D printing is here allready, but it's nothing like the replicator.

More likely if holodecks become commonplace, they will use it to watch Corrie & Soaps. :(

But I'd like a programme on the JFK assassination & use it to try to figure out what might of happened.

re: replicators. I believe the food is of high nutritional value so imagine being able to eat a juicy steak with only 2 calories!

Mmmm..

I was wondering, would it be possible to induce through hypnosis a holodeck simulation. For example you could conduct self hypnosis while repeating to yourself that you will wake up on the bridge of the enterprise and at the ringing of an alarm clock the hallucination will stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jenno99

If I had my own holodeck I'd never leave it! Better than life! Imagine being Sherlock Holmes by day, John Maclane in the evening and The Terminator before bed!

• Advertisement

jenno99 wrote: »
    If I had my own holodeck I'd never leave it! Better than life! Imagine being Sherlock Holmes by day, John Maclane in the evening and The Terminator before bed!

Not to forget sleeping on a big pile of money with many beautiful ladies.

Advertisement