Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaslight Anthem - Olympia 17th June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

calex71 wrote: »
    Going tomorrow and this is what i was worried about, was it a festival length set 13 or 14 songs? As most of the shows on the tour are festivals :(

Update: My brother who was also there counted 20 songs.

The setlist was fairly different to the recent ones. Some notable exceptions, but that's kinda inevitable when you have as many good songs as they do...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Update: My brother who was also there counted 20 songs.

The setlist was fairly different to the recent ones. Some notable exceptions, but that's kinda inevitable when you have as many good songs as they do...

Says how great a band are when they can leave songs off a set list that are better than a lot of bands will ever achieve.

My one complaint would be the same as always...a little light on Sink or Swim...but an amazing gig as usual and am looking forward to seeing how they change it up for tomorrow night. Would love to see them get major success but would miss seeing them playing in venues like this.

Oh and to the three yyoung girls in front of us in the pit belting out every song word for word...you restored a little bit of my faith in young people's music tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,905 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I was hoping for but not expecting When We Were Young.
    Loved the lighting too.

I caught the opening act. If the got a rhythm guitarist and a decent vocalist, they'd be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I was hoping for but not expecting When We Were Young.
    Loved the lighting too.

I caught the opening act. If the got a rhythm guitarist and a decent vocalist, they'd be alright.

Would've loven that aswell, with so many great songs though it's hard to get them all. A few I would've really liken to get but saying that I had no complaints with the set list.

I wasn't a huge fan of the support myself, Didn't like the vocalists and all the songs sounds really really alike. A good lot of people around me were getting into them though. Just not my cup of tea.

Fair play to the Gaslight Anthem, that was a rocker of a gig, and I was seated! Soundwise I would have loved to hear Brain's vocals a bit more in the Lower Circle, but that said the sound was 8 squillion percent better than what I heard in the RDS last Saturday for double the ticket price.

I wouldn't be a fan if there wasn't some songs left out that I would have loved to hear, myself and the missus were waiting for 'Even Cowgirls Get The Blues' or 'We Did It When We Were Young', but I was still delighted with the set. Plus they had Pearl Jam's Black and Led Zep's Rock and Roll play before they came on, once I heard those I knew I was in for a good night :)

Would love to go see them again tomorrow night if there were standing tickets available, will just have to catch them down the road sometime. Thanks for a great night Brian and band!

P.S. Band were tight as **** and Brian's stage banter is top shelf!

• Advertisement

Would have liked Halloween thrown in myself....that definitely should have been on the album before Desire.

I reckon tomorrow will see a lot of 'The 59 Sound' songs switched...would like to hear Meet me by the rivers edge and Here's lookin at you kid.

The support were actually a lot heavier than I expected but still not great. The bearded guys aggressive spoken poetry and the bassists inaudible singing didn't really mash.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

Walt Grace wrote: »
    Anyone got the setlist for tonight yet?

Did they play Here Come My Man? I'm almost positive they didnt but maybe I missed it?!:)

Great gig tho!

I have the set list, I'll stick it up in the morning when I'm not as tired!!

Great night, roll on part 2!!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shreddy Krueger

Any idea what time is was over at roughly ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Any idea what time is was over at roughly ?

10:35??? ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Great gig. I was late getting in so I missed the support act, don't know if they were any good or not. It took a few songs for The Gaslight Anthem to really get going but by the last half of the set they were brilliant. Brian Fallon is a great showman as well and I enjoyed his bit of banter between songs. I'm disappointed they didn't play 'National Anthem' but they played enough of my favourites to keep me happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yeah, I was fairly delighted with how the gig went. I got the sense that the songs off 59 sound are probably peoples favorites? I know its my favorite by them.

I'm not sure how aware people are of sink or swin, when they played Angry Johnny last night it seemed like people were'nt familiar with it.

I liked the little story about Blue Dalhia as well. Overall delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Great gig! My first time seeing GA and i wasn't disapointed. Brian's stage banter was great craic, I love gigs were you can see the band are enjoying enjoying it themshelves and not just going through the motions.

I had a ticket for tonight but sold it last week cos im broke, kicking myself today!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭mark182

Handwritten
    High Lonesome
    59 Sound
    American Slang
    Biloxi Parish
    Angry Johnny
    Film Noir
    Boom Boxes
    Senor
    Ferries Wheel
    Blue Dahlia
    Queen of Lower Chelsea
    Too Much Blood
    Blue Jean & White T-Shirts
    Keepsake

Mae
    Howl
    Mulholland Drive
    The Backseat

21bt751.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,905 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I was delighted to hear The Patient Ferris Wheel too!

Came home last night and went straight onto Ticketmaster to try get tickets for tonight. SO UNBELIEVABLY GLAD I DID. Bonzo Goes To Bitburg, Great Expectations and Here's Looking At You Kid were well worth the €30 on their own :D

Tonight was totally different to last night (but equally good) - there was a lot of older songs and more crowd involvement. And I'm pretty sure they weren't planning on doing Here Comes My Man until the crowd started singing it at them. Have never seen anything like that happen before!

Even though I had a pillar bisecting my view of the stage, it was still one of the best gigs I've been to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

They were so good tonight. Much better than last night which was already pretty good. Great setlist. 1930 was great and I lost it completely when they started Bonzo. Not too sure many around me recognised it.

All in all a great night.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rebel89

Amazing night, so different to seeing then at Download! Loved all Brians little stories! And they has to play 'here comes my man' after what happened!

Even better than Monday night...especially the setlist. So glad they played 1930..one of my favourite songs by any band. That version of 'howl' was phenomonal...someone needs to get a video of it up on youtube.

• Advertisement

Also there are a couple of videos up on youtube of the 'here comes my man thing happening at other gigs...doesn't mean the crowd response didn't encourage them to play it tonight.

And there was no stairway to heaven :D.....or even blue jeans.

HCMM wasn't on the setlist. Navesink Banks was scheduled to be played at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

As some who went on Monday..........dammit!!! Glad you guys enjoyed it though. Love 1930, there's a great accoustic of it somewhere on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

They were class last night, can't believe that girl picked American Slang and Old White Lincoln wasn't played either nights! I would have asked for The Diamond Street Church Choir.

Still an unbelievable gig by my favorite band. It's made my summer!

SDTimeout wrote: »
    They were class last night, can't believe that girl picked American Slang and Old White Lincoln wasn't played either nights! I would have asked for The Diamond Street Church Choir.

Does anyone know what they were going to play there?

It would be hard being put on the spot like that...I probably would have went with we're getting a divorce....or Orphans.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Does anyone know what they were going to play there?

It would be hard being put on the spot like that...I probably would have went with we're getting a divorce....or Orphans.

A bit surprisingly American Slang wasn't on the setlist at all. Can't place the exact part of the show it happened at. Though I can't remember señor and the queen being played so maybe it was that that was bumped. Divorce would've been the exact song I'd have picked. Not sure they'd be able to break straight into it though.

Great gig last night, I thought it was much better than Monday nights.

Fallon's crowd interaction is top notch, love that from a front man, and the rest of the group also seem to be really enjoying themselves as well.

I'd have asked for "I'da called you Woody, Joe".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Senor was bumped for AS. Navesink was bumped for Here comes.. So Monday was great and if I'd have left it at I'd have been happy, but good Jesus Tuesday wad something else. I turned to guy beside me about 10 minutes before gaslight came on an said "Don't know why but I have a feeling this will blow last night outta the water" and did it ever, the band are tight as hell and the audience were insane. I'm never leaving it that long to see them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭RoboAmish

SDTimeout wrote: »

Ya... I love that song, but seriously... a bit of an uninspiring choice. I think your alternative would have been a solid alternative ;)

Great setlist. Kinda would have liked Blue Dahlia as it's the song I've binged on the most from Handwritten but there was so much other good stuff, I was more than satisfied.

I mean, Here's Looking At You, Kid? Wow...

• Advertisement

A bit surprisingly American Slang wasn't on the setlist at all. Can't place the exact part of the show it happened at. Though I can't remember señor and the queen being played so maybe it was that that was bumped. Divorce would've been the exact song I'd have picked. Not sure they'd be able to break straight into it though.

Do you have the setlist from Tuesday? If it's not too much trouble, could you post it here? (No rush, whenever suits). There was just one song I didn't recognise and really wanna know what it was!

I'd have picked Drive or Stay Lucky...

Advertisement