Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

marker on wall

• 10-12-2012 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

doing some painting this week there is lots of marker on the wall do i have to wash this off first or can i just paint over it thank loads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,028 ✭✭✭✭listermint

rossit wrote: »
    doing some painting this week there is lots of marker on the wall do i have to wash this off first or can i just paint over it thank loads

Id clean it off first, Marker has a tendency to show through on paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭rossit

any idea with what thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭DublinDIYguy

You'll have to block the stain so it doesn't bleed through your emulsion paint.
    To do this simply thin out some oil-based satin or eggshell paint (with a bit of white spirit) and paint over anywhere that there is marker on the wall.
    Next day proceed with your painting job as planned and the oil paint will act as a blocking device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

any idea with what thanks
    You'll have to block the stain so it doesn't bleed through your emulsion paint.
    To do this simply thin out some oil-based satin or eggshell paint (with a bit of white spirit) and paint over anywhere that there is marker on the wall.
    Next day proceed with your painting job as planned and the oil paint will act as a blocking device.

A combination of these will do the job. Without these steps, it might take up to 4/5 coats to cover. I'd recommend sugar soap followed by a watered down oil-based paint.

Advertisement