Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to complain about letting agent?

Options
  • 10-12-2012 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Ive had alot of trouble with a letting agent and if anyone knows how and who I can make a complaint to would be great,tried the company itself no good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

If you are the tenant, the landlord would be the obvious person to complain to as the agent is paid by them.

There is no regulatory body in Ireland for letting agents, so it would depend really if the complaints are do to with illegal activities or just shoddy practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

If you are the tenant, the landlord would be the obvious person to complain to as the agent is paid by them.

There is no regulatory body in Ireland for letting agents, so it would depend really if the complaints are do to with illegal activities or just shoddy practice.

You don't think a tenant can complain to the Property Services Regulatory Authority?

Rasmus wrote: »

You don't think a tenant can complain to the Property Services Regulatory Authority?
    My bad, missed that.

My bad, missed that.

I haven't done it myself yet - so I don't know how seriously they take tenant complaints. I'd be genuinely interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mijennie85

Thanks Ive payed my depoist and am living in my mothers for the last week in a small box room because the letting agent has not got the esb turned back on! The bank own the apt apperantely.

• Advertisement

mijennie85 wrote: »
    Thanks Ive payed my depoist and am living in my mothers for the last week in a small box room because the letting agent has not got the esb turned back on! The bank own the apt apperantely.

Sounds like a lot more hassle than its worth to even rent the place - and doesn't really sound like grounds for complaint either...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mijennie85

If I had known how much hassle would be caused I would not have bothered either,but almost all of my possessions are there now and Im too ill and too broke to have them moved again.What are grounds for a complaint?

mijennie85 wrote: »
    If I had known how much hassle would be caused I would not have bothered either,but almost all of my possessions are there now and Im too ill and too broke to have them moved again.What are grounds for a complaint?

I don't really know except for what it says on the PRSA website - and the info is sparse. Your first port of call should be PRTB I think - it seems like the problem is a bit more immediate than submitting a complaint? I have no idea what to do though if the bank owns the property.

Do you know how long the property is unoccupied? If it's just a switch over of tenants it should be easy enough to sort out. If it's a disconnection it could take longer and be more expensive (for the owner, not your responsibility).

When you say your stuff is there, are you paying rent now?

Advertisement