Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uploading Garmin workouts on Android

• 10-12-2012 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, probably of interest to a small minority of people, but anyway, good to read that there finally seems to be a solution for uploading Garmin workouts via the Android Platform.

What you need:
    1. An Android phone or tablet, running Android 3.1+, with either an embedded ANT+ chip, or a full-size USB port (USB Host capable). List of known-working devices here
    2. If using an ANT+ device (e.g. 405, 405cx, 410 (more support coming soon), you need to make sure you have a USB2 version of the ANT+ dongle.
    3. ANT Radio service from here
    4. ANT USB service from here
    5. Mobile Garmin Uploader from here
      Sportablet App from here

Features:
    Local analysis
    Posting to Facebook
    Uploading to Garmin Connect

Haven't tried it yet, as my 910 is not currently supported, but will give it a lash as soon as the support is available. This is a beta app, so at your own mercy! More from the app/developer here. Garmin should really make him an offer he can't refuse!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Interesting, I'm almost tempted to give it a go on my b*stardised Android-running HP Touchpad but not sure what it would gain me over the laptop I normally use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

opus wrote: »
    not sure what it would gain me over the laptop I normally use.
    Not much to be honest. I've been trying to ditch an ageing laptop, but have had to hold onto it to upload my runs. This might get me a little closer to that goal. Also, the Android tablet is a lot more portable when travelling. Does you Touchpad run Android 3.2+ and have a Host capable USB port? Worth a try, if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Wonder is there a Win8 app in the making, I tried to load the Garmin s/w on Windows RT but it forces you back to the Windows app store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Wonder is there a Win8 app in the making, I tried to load the Garmin s/w on Windows RT but it forces you back to the Windows app store.
    Is there not a compatibility mode? Given that they haven't bothered to produce anything from the growing Android market, I wouldn't be holding my breath for a Windows RT compatible release. Some Android devices have built in Ant+ chips, which you'd imagine would be an easy one for Garmin to target.

Did you get your hands on an XPS 10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Is there not a compatibility mode? Given that they haven't bothered to produce anything from the growing Android market, I wouldn't be holding my breath for a Windows RT compatible release. Some Android devices have built in Ant+ chips, which you'd imagine would be an easy one for Garmin to target.

Did you get your hands on an XPS 10?

Had a play with one a few weekend's ago, my thinking is the same as you.
    Might have to get the XPS12 instead ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Not much to be honest. I've been trying to ditch an ageing laptop, but have had to hold onto it to upload my runs. This might get me a little closer to that goal. Also, the Android tablet is a lot more portable when travelling. Does you Touchpad run Android 3.2+ and have a Host capable USB port? Worth a try, if so.

Did a bit of checking & it does indeed have a host capable port but it's unpowered so I'd need a USB hub or something to drive the ANT stick. Will be sticking to the laptop I think!

Advertisement