Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got Magnet FTTH?

• 10-12-2012 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if it's any good?

https://www.magnet.ie/ftth

Just moving to a new gaff in Clonee that has it and looking for a little info if possible?

seemingly it's broadband (up to 100mbps down 10mbps up), TV & phone in one, ala UPC cable, but it's proper (allegedly) FTTH in the estate not just cable with a fibre back end like UPC (which I'm coming from), so i'm hopeful it should be decent enough.

I was just wondering what speeds to expect if i go for the top package and how reliable it is generally?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Don't know anyone who has it to be honest.

But, have you spotted the Cab nearby? Its not going to be entirely accurate, but if you can make an estimation as to how far from the cab you are, you could try figure out potential speeds.

The Cabinet

Distance/Speed Graph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

well it's only a small development and i've been told that it has it's own dedicated cabinet onsite, so that means that it can't be more than 100m from the house even if it wanted to. :D

i can't see it on google maps, but i see somewhere where it *could* be and that's only about 40m from the house, so fingers crossed it should be grand either way. :)

speed tests to follow whenever i get the chance after we move in this week.

i should really get my own "first world problems" meme, being forced to downgrade my internet from 150mbps UPC to 100mbps with magnet! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

If it's FTTH there will be no drop off in speed from the cab box to your house. That's only with copper wires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

vibe666 wrote: »
    well it's only a small development and i've been told that it has it's own dedicated cabinet onsite, so that means that it can't be more than 100m from the house even if it wanted to. :D

i can't see it on google maps, but i see somewhere where it *could* be and that's only about 40m from the house, so fingers crossed it should be grand either way. :)

speed tests to follow whenever i get the chance after we move in this week.

i should really get my own "first world problems" meme, being forced to downgrade my internet from 150mbps UPC to 100mbps with magnet! :D

I imagine once the main roll out of FTTx is complete, work would be done to increase the maximum speeds. 100Mbps is only a fraction of what FTTH is capable of. Magnet could easily match UPC's speeds once deployment is complete.
    aphex™ wrote: »
    If it's FTTH there will be no drop off in speed from the cab box to your house. That's only with copper wires.

You're right, misread the first post as FTTC.

yay, even better! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

i just moved into an apartment with it. BB is superfast I have the 60meg option and have run speedtest and got 68meg result more than once.

SO yes is good. The tv on the other side is poor if you want HD or a nice user friendly menu..theirs is slow and there is only rte HD and BBC hd and no plans for more they told me

can't complain about the ping :D and it seems quick enough.

2368712281.png

Advertisement