Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of buying an iPad 2

• 10-12-2012 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Hi - I'm looking for some advice as I'm not very tech savvy. I'm going to buy an iPad for the family. We're not big on iTunes or social media although we do use forums like this. We would hope to use it mostly for browsing, Skype, maybe reading ebooks, apps and games for the kids.
    Cash is tight so I'm looking at the iPad 2, 16 gb for 400. The iPad with Retina display is 509.
    The new Retina screen resolution doesn't bother me so no thanks to the extra 109 euro. But after reading around a bit I hear things like iPad 2 will be dropped, not supported soon. Now that does worry me. So what do they mean and should I be worried about it? Like I say it we would use if for basic enough features and would hope to get a few years out of it.
    Appreciate any enlightenment!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

load of rubbish I'd say..
    I'd say Apple will support the ipad2 for at least another year if not 2 years.
    It's still a great tablet and I have one myself..
    2/3 and the current one are all dual core , 3 and the new one have more powerful graphics and maybe extra ram but apart from that and the screen there;s really sod all difference hardware wise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I would buy a second hand iPad 3 from www.adverts.ie with your €400 in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

kceire wrote: »
    I would buy a second hand iPad 3 from www.adverts.ie with your €400 in my opinion.

I Second that. iPad 2 fine, but only if you cant pick up an iPad 3 which
    are available on the refurb store for €389 direct with a years warranty.
    from Apple.
    Only problem is you have to keep an eye to get one as they're not available all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks a lot folks! I'll keep an eye out for the refurbished 3. I use adverts alot, but with something like this I'd be a bit reluctant unless it was an unwanted gift with near full warranty. Would have a concern about it being linked to someone's account/pc.
    By unsupported ... what do you mean exactly? No more software updates available, new apps wouldn't work etc.?
    Cheers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

redser7 wrote: »
    Would have a concern about it being linked to someone's account/pc.
    Not an issue with Apple stuff.

Just plug it in to iTunes and restore it as a new device with the newest version of the OS. All trace of anything gone and you have a fresh device. Almost certainly the seller will already have done this so as their data isn't being passed on.

Agree with the others that the iPad 2 and it's low-res display is too old to consider buying now. 2nd hand/refurbed 3rd Gen the way to go.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot Dades, mind made up now. I'll keep a sharp eye out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You can get a perfectly good refurbished 3rd Gen iPad from Apple for €389 here.

Thanks a lot murph. Have been keeping an eye on that but they are sold out at the moment. Trying to pick up a second hand one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think the iPad Mini might also be an option to consider. Might be handier to hold for the kids. Personally I find the full size iPad a little big to hold for long periods. Buying new it will be supported the longest too. No stock of them anywhere at the moment though.The Mini is the same thing as a iPad 2 in effect, just smaller.

Cheers Boston. Thought about that and the Nexus 7. But it's the larger screen size I like in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Fair enough. The iPad mini seems a little bigger screen estate wise than the nexus, looking at youtube vids comparing them. But if you like the bigger form factor, then the 3 gen is what I'd go for also. Its a better deal than the 2nd gen. But I don't think Apple will drop the 2 gen for a while. They put IOS 6 on the 3GS.

Advertisement