Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring Wall Lamps

Options
  • 10-12-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

So I am messing with the idea of putting up some wall lamps as a feature beside or near the fireplace. I am of course going to get an electrician to do it but just wondering about the amount of damage needs to be done to snake a wire all the way to where I want the lights. The nearest point would be a ceiling light in the centre of the room. I just had the place painted and as far as I can tell it will take a vast amount of holes in the plasterboard from the nearest light power wire to get to near where i want the wall lamps to go. Has anyone had this done and is there a serious amount of holes to be made? I am assuming you snake using a coat hanger the wire from the nearest point along the inside of the stud wall breaking the plasterboard when you hit a stud and drilling through at that point or squeezing the wire around the stud?
    Is it as complicated and messy as I think it will be:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Have you access from above? eg take up bedroom carpet and some floor boards?

Drilling holes every few feet would be a messy way of doing it and should be avoided if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Have you access from above? eg take up bedroom carpet and some floor boards?

Drilling holes every few feet would be a messy way of doing it and should be avoided if at all possible.

Just had carpet fitted. Ahh pulling up carpet and pulling up floorboards for 2 lamps. I think its time to knock that one on the head. Might just put up a pair of candle sconces

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Just had carpet fitted. Ahh pulling up carpet and pulling up floorboards for 2 lamps. I think its time to knock that one on the head. Might just put up a pair of candle sconces

Lifting the carpet isn't too bad. You might just have to lift it along the edge of the wall where the wall lights are going (but that will depend on the way the floor joist are going).

Also if you have radiators up stairs, there'll probably be a few loose floor boards around the pipes so some times these can be used for easy access....

Advertisement