Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dealz shop in town-death of the pound shop?

Options
  • 10-12-2012 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭

I notice the new Dealz branch is opening up right alongside the Euro shop in town, and an agressive marketing campaign too, as the promoters were handing out flyers in town yesterday showcasing the deals available from Day one, lots of enticing Xmas specials like tinsel, selection boxes etc. But this cant be good for the other Euro store nearby, I cant see it lasting another year unless it does something drastic to lure customers away.

I was in the other Dealz in Paddy Brownes Road and its very impressive, you can get great bargains for very reasonable prices. I would hate to see another shop close in Waterford but these big chains will wipe them out sooner or later...shame.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

I notice the new Dealz branch is opening up right alongside the Euro shop in town, and an agressive marketing campaign too, as the promoters were handing out flyers in town yesterday showcasing the deals available from Day one, lots of enticing Xmas specials like tinsel, selection boxes etc. But this cant be good for the other Euro store nearby, I cant see it lasting another year unless it does something drastic to lure customers away.

I was in the other Dealz in Paddy Brownes Road and its very impressive, you can get great bargains for very reasonable prices. I would hate to see another shop close in Waterford but these big chains will wipe them out sooner or later...shame.

Isnt Euro Shop a chain in itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Competition. Can't beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was in the shop to the left of Dealz yesterday and the lady in front of me thought it was Dealz! She was givingout that half the stock had no price visible when her friend told her, in Dealz everything is €1.49, each thing doesnt need a price tag.

I cant see it being a bad thing, footfall is the key, the other shops will have to adapt. Already there is alot more food in the discount shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

When Dealz opened up in Lisduggan shopping centre, I heard at least 3 shops out there objected.

They assumed they would lose business. Nothing of the sort happened. In fact, footfall increased dramatically and two of the shops had to hire more staff.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I was in the shop to the left of Dealz yesterday and the lady in front of me thought it was Dealz! She was givingout that half the stock had no price visible when her friend told her, in Dealz everything is €1.49, each thing doesnt need a price tag.

I cant see it being a bad thing, footfall is the key, the other shops will have to adapt. Already there is alot more food in the discount shops.

Are you sure it wasn't nan?

Warning a bit sweary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    When Dealz opened up in Lisduggan shopping centre, I heard at least 3 shops out there objected.

They assumed they would lose business. Nothing of the sort happened. In fact, footfall increased dramatically and two of the shops had to hire more staff.

But the other poundshop in Lisduggan has suffered a lot since Dealz moved in, that shop used to have the lions share of the bargain hunters and now they have had to bring down prices even more to stay afloat. I agree competition can be a good thing and the Euro store has the advantage of most items being only a euro in price but at the same time the last thing Waterford needs now is more job losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Nas10

But the other poundshop in Lisduggan has suffered a lot since Dealz moved in, that shop used to have the lions share of the bargain hunters and now they have had to bring down prices even more to stay afloat. I agree competition can be a good thing and the Euro store has the advantage of most items being only a euro in price but at the same time the last thing Waterford needs now is more job losses.

Dealz was meant to be here a lot sooner but could not due to the said shop taking out an injunction to fight them and stop them from moving in. End result was 40k down the drain in legal fee's and Dealz still opened. Many shops in this town have for far to long had to good and had prices higher than needs be but now that more and more chains open the cheaper things are going and they don't like it. The more competition the better so that the people who need to save a few pound actually do and do not get ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

I hate to think that's all we are going to be left with in this town but there you go , better than empty premises anyways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Dealz are Poundland from the Uk ........they're massive serious operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭blackbeard

when is it opening???

• Advertisement

decies wrote: »
    I hate to think that's all we are going to be left with in this town but there you go , better than empty premises anyways.

I noes bhoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

There's 3 pound shops there practically next to each other, it makes what should be the main shopping street in town look cheap and tatty. Better than empty premises, but not much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

blackbeard wrote: »
    when is it opening???

Its already open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

A new shop comes into the city centre - giving some much needed jobs to the area.

Yet people are complaining that it's bad for the centre as it's taking away from other pound shops??

As BlaasForRafa said - much rather a shop in a premises that it being left empty. And competition is whats needed for the area.

Are you going to complain if Marks&Spencers came to town, that Dunnes jobs would be under threat?

iseegirls wrote: »
    A new shop comes into the city centre - giving some much needed jobs to the area.

Yet people are complaining that it's bad for the centre as it's taking away from other pound shops??

As BlaasForRafa said - much rather a shop in a premises that it being left empty. And competition is whats needed for the area.

Are you going to complain if Marks&Spencers came to town, that Dunnes jobs would be under threat?

There's only one person "complaining" and they're not even really doing that, just expressing concern. Lot of stupid sensationalism on this forum lately, from people who are seemingly not even reading posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

There's only one person "complaining" and they're not even really doing that, just expressing concern. Lot of stupid sensationalism on this forum lately, from people who are seemingly not even reading posts.

It's no more sensationalist than the posts going on in the Ferrybank Shopping Centre Forum.
    When a thread subject includes with "Death of the pound shop" and "aggressive marketing" in the content, then that itself is completely blown out of proportion.

I was just continuing the trend ;)

Went into Dealz today. Place was packed. Some load of old ****e in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

A large chain sees a vacancy in the Waterford market and moves in , thats actually good news despite them selling tat , other shops will grow and improve that's how businesses evolve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Imagine if Marks and Sparks or similar were able to open two stores in a few months. Why can't they again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

mike65 wrote: »
    Imagine if Marks and Sparks or similar were able to open two stores in a few months. Why can't they again?

They don't believe in paying rent, apparently.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/marks-spencer-may-come-to-limerick-if-their-rent-is-waived-1-3388441

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

was in Dealz today, was expecting a lot more. The one in Lisduggan is way better stocked. The other surrounding pound shops in the City have lowered there prices, nothing like a bit of competition.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Are they selling white Toblerone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

Yes saw white toblerone inside left of shop in there today .

Yes saw white toblerone inside left of shop in there today .

How about peanut Kitkat?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Went into Dealz today. Place was packed. Some load of old ****e in there.

How about peanut Kitkat?

Reminds me of the old saying '' pay peanuts , you get monkeys ''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Gadgie wrote: »

A lot more common than you think.

Isnt that why AOL where here? Better money being spent on that than the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

From a UK point of view, over here its called "Poundland", the branding is identical. Until you look at the bigger picture.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poundland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Mind you, that "Limited Edition" Toblerone was here- went away- I got 8 bars in Lisguggan (LOL !!!) when home and now it's on sale here again !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Copyof100_3085_zps1c9311e8.jpg

Its great to see the massive increase in shoppers , since these guys opened in Lisduggan .

Was difficult enough to get a parking space outside , and inside I notice that all 3 butchers are mental busy , vegetable shop , chemist , all on their toes .

Plenty bargains in more places than Dealz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

YEah, I agree, I think it compliments the shopping centre.

Advertisement