Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's on your Christmas menu?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

It's only myself and the partner this year-we won't bother with starters.
    Main will be turkey, brined overnight and then seasoned butter rubbed under the breastmeat via the skin, boiled ham (done on Christmas Eve), then scored and glazed and baked in the oven for an hour.

Serving this with Brussels sprouts, rosemary/garlic/mustard coated baby roasted potatoes, potato croquettes, Yorkshire pudding (probably not traditional but I've only discovered them this year and we love them!), carrots and gravy...oh, and stuffing.

Dessert-I'm going to pick up something fancy in M&S this year.
    I normally make my own Christmas cake but never got a chance this year, so a nice dessert from M&S will be lovely.

With dinner, we'll have a 2006 Sancerre I've been saving, and then in the evening we'll probably move onto a 2005 Fleurie I've also been saving!
    Snooze after dinner, then the usual turkey sandwiches and crisps for nibbles later.

I know it's all very traditional and probably not very adventurous, but it's the one meal of the year I don't like done overly fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

We have a big crew for Christmas in my parent's house. There'll be 8 on Xmas eve and I've planned a big selection of anti-pasti to start. Main will be pan-fried salmon with a balsamic dressing. I'm undecided between sticky toffee pudding and creme brulee for dessert.

There's 11 of us on Xmas day and it's a simple cream of celeriac soup for starters. The main course is pretty traditional. Like others here, we seperate the legs from the breast, boning, rolling & stuffing them. We brine the breast and then roast.

Baked ham with a mustard & brown sugar glaze
    Parsley, thyme & onion stuffing
    Sausage stuffing
    Mashed potato
    Potatoes roasted in goose fat
    Braised red cabbage
    Brussel sprouts with pancetta
    Carrot & parsnip puree
    Bread sauce
    Turkey giblet gravy
    Cranberry & orange sauce

There'll be plentiful desserts on offer - Xmas cake, pudding, sherry trifle, something chocolate...

I can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

trackguy wrote: »
    Like others here, we seperate the legs from the breast, boning, rolling & stuffing them. We brine the breast and then roast.

Do you do this yourself, or do you buy it this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

biddywiddy wrote: »
    Do you do this yourself, or do you buy it this way?

We do it ourselves. It's not too hard once you take your time. When you've got it boned out, lay the stuffing in and then roll it into a sausage shape.

Tightly wrap it in foil and chill it in the fridge. This will set it into it's cylindrical shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

I'm so jealous. :o I don't get to cook at Christmas. Your menus sound absolutely scrumptious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'm so jealous. :o I don't get to cook at Christmas. Your menus sound absolutely scrumptious.

Hey, no problem, if ya wanna cook, feel free to cook my dinner !!;)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I'm not cooking this years :( as its the first Christmas in a long time my mum isn't working so we are going to my sisters for dinner but on st Stephens day we are all heading to my other sister so that'll be our Christmas Day :D but both dinner will be delicious. I might try and do new yrs day dinner though !

vicwatson wrote: »
    Hey, no problem, if ya wanna cook, feel free to cook my dinner !!;)

Believe me Vic, I'd love to! I love to cook and the Christmas feast is pretty much the pinnacle, but a certain MIL won't allow any participation. Dry turkey and mushy brussells sprouts it is. :pac:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Dry turkey and mushy brussells sprouts it is. :pac:

*shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

Believe me Vic, I'd love to! I love to cook and the Christmas feast is pretty much the pinnacle, but a certain MIL won't allow any participation. Dry turkey and mushy brussells sprouts it is. :pac:

Im in the same boat as you. MIL-Dry turkey, ham mushey sprouts.....
    Always refuses offers of help but this year i'm not taking no for an answer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

We do it ourselves. It's not too hard once you take your time. When you've got it boned out, lay the stuffing in and then roll it into a sausage shape.

Tightly wrap it in foil and chill it in the fridge. This will set it into it's cylindrical shape.

I think I'll try this, this year.
    I wonder would my butcher bone the legs?
    My knive skills aren't all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I use string to tie it up and keep its shape.

Excellent video of how do debone the legs here. I don't like the way he stuffs it, though - I go more for the sausage shape so it carves into nice rounds with the stuffing in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Breakfast, smoked salmon on home baked soda bread. Lunch, spicy buffalo wings and tandoori lamb cutlets on the barbecue; lots of cold lager. Dinner, stuffed baked fish on the barbecue with jewelled rice cooked with goodies like cherries, toasted pine nuts and saffron. Cheese board with grapes, figs and chocolate truffles for dessert.

Then hot rum coffee.

Then hot rum.

...then just rum. :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Breakfast, smoked salmon on home baked soda bread. Lunch, spicy buffalo wings and tandoori lamb cutlets on the barbecue; lots of cold lager. Dinner, stuffed baked fish on the barbecue with jewelled rice cooked with goodies like cherries, toasted pine nuts and saffron. Cheese board with grapes, figs and chocolate truffles for dessert.

Then hot rum coffee.

Then hot rum.

...then just rum. :-)
    ...and lots of lovely sunshine too I'll bet.

Im in the same boat as you. MIL-Dry turkey, ham mushey sprouts.....
    Always refuses offers of help but this year i'm not taking no for an answer!

Get the MIL pissed early so she can't participate and hop into the kitchen !!! :D

vicwatson wrote: »
    Get her pissed early so she can't participate and hop into the kitchen !!! :D

You must be joking. It's a military-style operation over there - everything will be well prepped in advance! Maybe I need to plan a lavish New Year's Eve dinner to make myself feel better. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

This will be my first Christmas cooking, there will be 6 people here for dinner.

For starters, an antipasti platter (and a glass or two of Cava :D)

Mains will of course be roast turkey and ham with a Dijon mustard and honey glaze. And on the side we'll have:

- Sausage and herb stuffing
    - Mashed potatoes
    - Carrots, parsnips and potatoes roasted in duck fat
    - Brussels sprouts & pancetta
    - Gravy
    - Homemade cranberry sauce

Finally for dessert, Christmas pudding and a chocolate tart.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This will be my first Christmas cooking, there will be 6 people here for dinner.

For starters, an antipasti platter (and a glass or two of Cava :D)

Mains will of course be roast turkey and ham with a Dijon mustard and honey glaze. And on the side we'll have:

- Sausage and herb stuffing
    - Mashed potatoes
    - Carrots, parsnips and potatoes roasted in duck fat
    - Brussels sprouts & pancetta
    - Gravy
    - Homemade cranberry sauce

Finally for dessert, Christmas pudding and a chocolate tart.

Sounds amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Mum usually does dinner

Starter: Either melon & coulis or smoked salmon

Main: Turkey & glazed ham, honey roast veg, mashed potato, crispy roasts, homemade stuffing balls etc.

Or roast beef, homemade yorkshires with all the trimmings.

Dessert: Malteaser cheesecake, pavlovas, trifle, choco cake or pudding & custard (all homemade!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

leahyl wrote: »

Sounds amazing!!

Cheers, thanks leahyl! I'm really looking forward to cooking it now, hopefully it'll taste as good as it sounds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Just me and OH Christmas morning so probably just tea/coffee and toast. If he's lucky I might do a fry up with some of my famous farls.

We have his mum coming for dinner, and I still haven't a clue about the meal. He's angling for Aldi#s 4-bird roast. I'm kind of leaning toward duck, or maybe individual poussins, or maybe skip the poultry altogether and just go with a baked ham. There will definitely be a multitude of roast veg. I'm thinking of chocolate-biscuit pudding for dessert.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

We'll be having:

Crayfish salad/homemade chicken liver pate (depending on people's preference) with homemade brown bread and melba toast

Turkey with the breast butter basted under the skin
    Onion and herb stuffing
    Whiskey glazed smoked ham (cooked on Christmas Eve)
    Jamie Oliver's chicken wing gravy
    Cranberry & orange sauce (already made)
    Roast potatoes
    Mashed potatoes
    Braised red cabbage with sultanas
    Brussels sprouts with bacon
    Honey buttered carrots
    Steamed green beens

Homemade Christmas Pudding (from 1960's Odlums recipe my Nan always used)
    Homemade blueberry cheesecake

And lots of Irish coffees! Then the next day Darina Allen's St Stephen's Day pie. Can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Really interested in ideas for Christmas breakfast as that's the only thing I'll be making on the day!

So breakfast at home with the OH, we're probably going with creamy yogurt, compote (most likely blueberry) granola and maybe some good honey. Fresh orange juice, good coffee and some form of sweet pastry/bread.

Next a walk to prepare for the main event!

Then off to Nana's who is making dinner for 7 of us. Presents first, then round one starts around 3pm.

Starter will be Smoked salmon and her homemade brown bread with lovely real butter, she'll have melon with orange and coulis and there will be homemade soup for any one who wants it.

Main is Roast Turkey, with wet stuffing, not sure of her recipe but it's the best! Roast spuds, sprouts, brocolli and peas nice and green not mush! Baked potatoes in little foil parcels (piled high on the table for all) Boiled Ham - nearly forgot that, possibly parsnips and definitely carrots possibly with honey and orange. Delicious gravy to top it off and yorkshire puds if I remember to request some. Cranberry sauce and mustard always on hand for those who are partial.
    Someone will bring some white wine or sparkling wine.

Two Desserts - Homemade Christmas Pudding with optional hot whiskey and softly whipped cream. I'm making a Black Forest Gateaux.

Later we'll gorge on turkey, ham and stuffing sammiches, chocolates, irish coffees, pull crackers full of crap... Can't wait!

If he's lucky I might do a fry up with some of my famous farls.

Tell us more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

This year the usual turkey and ham crowd are spending Christmas elsewhere, so the five of us are in favour of goose and duck.
    We'll roast the goose whole, and thanks to Faith and her 'MU', I've decided to panfry duck breasts.
    Served with:
    roast potatoes in goose fat
    colcannon
    Honey & thyme buttered carrots
    French beans with crispy bacon bits & almond flakes
    Sausage and Nut stuffing cake
    Redcurrant and port sauce

Starter will just be a seafood platter with cocktail sauce.

Dessert will be fried battered banana with honey drizzle and toasted sesame seeds, with served vanilla ice cream, and cheese board.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Looks like it's going to be roast duck in my house. Now to try think up sides. I'm half tempted to try frying the sprouts with bacon, as people keep recommending.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

kylith wrote: »
    I'm half tempted to try frying the sprouts with bacon, as people keep recommending.
    Do, they're great like that. We do it every year with bits of the ham, along with chopped/slivered almonds and lots of butter. Amazingly good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

When my sprouts are cooked I toss them in wholegrain mustard and the 'crumbly bits' from carving the ham :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Do, they're great like that. We do it every year with bits of the ham, along with chopped/slivered almonds and lots of butter. Amazingly good.

Do you par boil them first? My mum is allowing me to cook them with pancetta this year to give them a bit of flavour! When you're frying them do you use goose fat? I have a recipe that uses it when frying them in the pan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

ok, really stupid question if someone could indulge me. is saturday too early to collect my turkey and ham from the butcher?

my husband has to drive to derry to collect my parents on sunday leaving me without a car - they're too old for such a long drive. I cant get it on sunday then and xmas eve is too late really as the ham will need a soak and I want to boil it before i glaze it etc for roasting.

Advertisement