Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bronze Turkey vs White

Options
  • 10-12-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this should be here or in Christmas. Just looking for some opinions on bronze turkeys vs white turkeys. I'm going to order from one of the free range suppliers this week and I'm tempted by the bronze for something a bit different. I'm a bit worried though as it would be some dinner to make a mess off!! Ive never tasted the bronze so just wondering is there much in the difference and if anyone has tried both and which would they go for having tasted them both? Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bronze turkey's are more expensive.
    I think they taste a bit better.
    They don't get as big but have more breast meat on them.
    The leg meat is a bit darker than on a white turkey - and tastier.
    I like bronze.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BP1980

Cheers for the reply, I've been doing some searching and it seems the way to go, have only heard positive things so far. Now I'll to try find some happy pig for the dinner too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Was actually watching some programme last week, maybe Nationwide, anyway there was piece about turkeys, thought they said the bronze ones had smaller breasts than the standard white ones?

I ordered one a few years ago from M&S, bronze organic free range, expensive as hell and honestly not noticeably better than the average. Am tempted to go for Tesco frozen one this year at €16 for 6kg, once they are covered in gravy it's hard to tell the difference.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

A frozen turkey may be a year or so in age and in cold storage since. Bronze are slower to mature and yes,have smaller breasts, but I do find them tastier. I'd look for a local supplier before Marks, would tend to be much cheaper.

ETA: Rare breed pigs link below, yummy!
    http://www.carrigslaneypigs.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

I know it could be old but that really doesn't bother me, I have often kept frozen ones for a long time myself, plenty of gravy and they're fine :)

No local suppliers anywhere near me, nearest M&S was a bit of a drive even for the unexciting turkey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

We have frozen turkey every year for dinner and it's always divine. There's nothing wrong with frozen turkeys - they are a damn sight cheaper than a fresh one anyway - the same thing only frozen. My mum usually buys a few of the half price fresh ones in Dunnes on Christmas Eve and then freezes them for New Years, Easter and next Christmas:D

I know people like the idea of a fresh turkey but believe me a frozen turkey is just as nice!!

Sorry OP I know it's OT a bit! Don't think I've ever had a bronze turkey myself :o

The notion of "put enough gravy on it and it will be fine" wouldn't convince me of the quality of frozen turkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The notion of "put enough gravy on it and it will be fine" wouldn't convince me of the quality of frozen turkeys.

I don't agree with what the previous poster said that "put enough gravy on it and it will be fine" - like I said ours is always a frozen turkey and its always beautiful and moist but gravy is part and parcel of the Christmas dinner so you will most likely be pouring it over the turkey but you certainly don't need to drench it in the stuff.

leahyl wrote: »
    I don't agree with what the previous poster said that "put enough gravy on it and it will be fine" - like I said ours is always a frozen turkey and its always beautiful and moist but gravy is part and parcel of the Christmas dinner so you will most likely be pouring it over the turkey but you certainly don't need to drench it in the stuff.

I was referring to what phorium said...twice.

TBH I don't reckon there's be much difference between a mass produced frozen turkey and a fresh one but a good free range bronze one is a different bird all altogether. So much of it is in the cooking, too. The finest, hand massaged, organic foie gras fed turkey will be dry if it is overcooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

For happy pigs talk nicely to Margaret in Oldfarm: http://www.oldfarm.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 BP1980

Thanks for all the replies, I've ordered a a bronze turkey of termonfeckindelicious, will be delivered to dublin on the 23rd! I agree with posts above also, free range is always going to taste better and be of better quality weather bronze or white, Ive just never tasted the bronze though.
    I had come across old farm website, looks good, will give them a shout today thanks a million for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I've gotten a bronze turkey the past couple of years from a farm in Sallins, and they are fab!

It's either bronzeturkey.ie or bronzeturkeys.ie

Will look up oldfarm, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

anewme wrote: »
    I've gotten a bronze turkey the past couple of years from a farm in Sallins, and they are fab!

I ordered mine from them this year, 1st time so we'll see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

Bronze mature for 6 to 10 weeks longer than whites and so have a better flavour due to the slower growth. But...bronze tend to have less breast meat than whites so you really need to be eating the lovely leg meat to get your money's worth.
    My neighbour Henry does free range geese, bronze & whites...goose is divine

Advertisement