Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Inspections

Options
  • 10-12-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi

I'm a new landlord current tenants in a few months and I'm just wondering what everyone does regarding inspections.

I'm happy enough the tenants are decent and pay on time etc but how often do people inspect their properties if at all.

I haven't had any contact with them since they moved in would you usually see how they are getting on etc or are you better off leaving them to it.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Youre entitled to schedule an inspection if you so wish, provided its on their schedule and with no less than 24 hours notice. Its up to youself really. My place has never been inspected (Im a tenant, not a landlord), and I know of others who get checked a couple of times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I posted this on another thread last week. Dont be a landlord like this agency was!

When I had an agency provided inspector to my last rental she came around with a camera and started taking photos of everything (floors, cupboards, appliances etc). Despite me telling her not to take photos of my stuff (computer, computer desk, etc), she did anyway.

I asked for copies of the photos to be sent to me. They never did.
    I emailed them reminding them I wanted copies. They never replied.

Back then I was naieve and didn't do anything about it. If I was renting again (I've bought since), I would have raised an almighty stink with both the agency and the landlord. Mind you, this was the agency that, "for my own benefit and comfort", wanted me to make a copy of the landlords key for him and POST IT TO THEM WITH THE ADDRESS OF THE FLAT INSIDE THE ENVELOPE. I won that round after several essays of emails went back and forth telling them why that was an absolutely crazy idea.

So just be aware that if you have someone coming, know your rights and don't let them invade your privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

With new tenants, I would pay them a visit after about 2 months. Thereafter, typically every 6 months. From these visits, I can usually get an idea of how the property is being maintained, and would never ask to do a full inspection of every room in the property, except when tenants have advised notice of their leaving.

With some tenants, typically if they are students, I visit more often (4 or 5 times per year) but do not conduct a full / formal inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I've been in the same place for 2.5 years and the landlord/agent has never sent anyone round.

Wouldn't be terribly impressed with very frequent inspections, strangers nosing around my possessions doesn't appeal. If it were every few months I'd be looking at leaving. There are bad tenants but equally I'm not a child who needs to be checked on. Surely that's what previous references are for?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I would say that anything more than twice a year at the absolute most is out of line. Sign the new lease in the property if you want to have a quick look to see how everything is, and maybe once more during the year (although after the first year I really dont see why this is necessary).

Friends of mine moved into a place recently where the landlord informed them that he would be dropping by every couple of months to take a look. He was swiftly informed in no uncertain terms that he wouldnt be...

• Advertisement
Advertisement