Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

second dog what breed? (after christmas)

• 10-12-2012 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi wondering if anyone could give me some advise on what breed of dog to get. I wont be getting one untill spring as my own dog is to be neutered in january and christmas is manic enough here :D .

My dog is about nine months old he is a terrier/collie cross and very high energy. He loves the company of other dogs big or small.

I like big dogs but as I dont have a lot of space and my youngest child is just gone four Im thinking something small to medium would suit us best. One day ill have the time and space for a husky but not now :( .

Im leaning towards a king charles perhaps.
    Once I have decided and the time comes I am open to buy or rescue.
    I think a pup or a dog one to two years old I havnt decided yet although if I feel in love with a dog and everything felt right then age may not matter but of course my children are a factor as a dog with an unknown backround might be a worry.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

If your current dog is high energy, a CKC may find him too much. This is particularly true if you are into long energetic walks.

I have small terriers and a Cavalier would definitely not fit in here.

Personally I would wait until your current dog is a little older especially considering you have a 4 year old child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Maybe a spaniel cross it would have the energy to keep up with your current dog and temperament wise they are fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

Thank knine.
    Yes he is very high energy, he likes a good long walk and gets a good off lead run a couple of times a week. The idea was that another dog might help burn his energy a bit and be a bit of company for him. I had been thinking a ckc as theyb were not that high energy and might chill him out wasnt thinking about the him wearing out the ckc side of things. We havnt set a date as such yet want to get our dog neutered and see how he is then first. When we do get a dog would you have any sugestions breed wise? The only dogs I have experience with are lurchers and labs and I think lurchers dont have great recall .

as in a cocker spaniel? are they good with children?

Maybe another terrrier cross breed, spaniels, Setters. I would get a puppy rather then an older dog as you have a young child.

I have Borders, They are extremely lively and need a lot of exercise, Any visitors with here with other small/medium dogs do find mine too lively.

Fantastic with kids too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

ameee wrote: »
    Thank knine.
    Yes he is very high energy, he likes a good long walk and gets a good off lead run a couple of times a week. The idea was that another dog might help burn his energy a bit and be a bit of company for him. I had been thinking a ckc as theyb were not that high energy and might chill him out wasnt thinking about the him wearing out the ckc side of things. We havnt set a date as such yet want to get our dog neutered and see how he is then first. When we do get a dog would you have any sugestions breed wise? The only dogs I have experience with are lurchers and labs and I think lurchers dont have great recall .

or you'll end up with two high energy dogs that need twice the attention. Your dog would probably benefit from getting all the attention and training until he's a bit older - well that's what I was advised anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lovephones

I have 3 beagles , they are brilliant , love long walks and also love chilling out , they are great with kids too

planetX wrote: »
    or you'll end up with two high energy dogs that need twice the attention. Your dog would probably benefit from getting all the attention and training until he's a bit older - well that's what I was advised anyway.

I agree actully. I have two very high energy dogs but they are kept very busy showing and doing agility training.

I think at 9 months, the OP's dog is still very young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

ameee wrote: »
    as in a cocker spaniel? are they good with children?

Spaniels are a fantastic dog, we have one here and she's a pure pet(totally dump god love her) as placid as you'll find, she loves her walks but also loves the couch or bed ..... We always had German Shepards but got the spaniel as she was dumped as a pup outside or door 12years ago and thank god it was outside our door cos she's a Beaty, were gonna get her a little buddy after Xmas and yes it will be another spaniel from the pound or dogs home.

well thanks for the replys.
    I might give it a bit more time just to let the mad puppy stage pass and train him a bit more so a new dog wont pick up his mad habits :D
    should also mention I have a cat if that makes any difference to breeds that would suit.
    Ill look into a few of the breeds mentioned here in the meantime to get an idea what kind of dog would suit us and our dog.
    Ive only just gotten him to the point of not destroying things so Ill enjoy that for a while before starting again but I do think he would love a friend.

• Advertisement

Cockers would not be my first choice for young children. Have one and she will do anything to avoid the kids, including trying to hide. She is fantastic with adults. Cockers do not have the same temperment as Springers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

I wouldn't go for the CKC either. My mother has one with a terrier mix for years and they've never fought but have never formed a pack either. And There are other breeds out there that would suit/compliment a home with a child better.
    I've no experience with the spaniels other posters have mentioned. How do they get on with terriers?
    Since you were considering a CKC have you looked at a Papillion? They are related to CKCs and spaniels. A toy breed but energetic and much more playful than a CKC. Very affectionate too. Not much larger than a terrier.

I wouldn't go for the CKC either. My mother has one with a terrier mix for years and they've never fought but have never formed a pack either. And There are other breeds out there that would suit/compliment a home with a child better.
    I've no experience with the spaniels other posters have mentioned. How do they get on with terriers?
    Since you were considering a CKC have you looked at a Papillion? They are related to CKCs and spaniels. A toy breed but energetic and much more playful than a CKC. Very affectionate too. Not much larger than a terrier.

Cockers and Terriers get on just fine together and mine are all bitches. However my Borders love the children and want to play with them all day whereas the Cocker does not want to know. Cockers can be quite tempermental at times.

The Papillon Breed are too delicate for a home with young children imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Knine wrote: »
    The Papillon Breed are too delicate for a home with young children imo.

Just reminds me that every dog is different, breeds may have common traits but individual dogs will express the traits to varying degrees especially depending on their life experience.
    I have a Pap (possibly pap crossed with CKC - no papers) and he was very quiet and shy when we got him. He now loves rough games with my partner, naps in my lap or playing tag with our Chihuahua. No welcome home could beat him dancing and smiling at me when i come in the door! Like all toy breeds they are delicate, definitely more delicate than a spaniel or terrier but not as delicate as a chihuahua. Not so much that I'd be concerned around kids. Especially kids used to dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Kerry Blue's are great with kids, and are high energy, would be able to keep up with your own dog. They are playful and loving, I highly recommend them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

A smaller dog who will have the energy and personality to mingle with a biggie and will be sturdy and confident enough around young children ... What about a Russell? Brill fun dogs and in my experience they can be a great companion with biggies as they consider themselves large! A female would prob wrap your guy around her paw in an instant! if rescuing maybe look at foster based rescues for dogs who are in foster with kids of a similar age and will suit a home with children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Bid08

I have a collie, he is very gental and obediant, I have 2 labs aswell and they just do as they like but the collie will sure to do as you say, he is very loving aswell and knows when to be gental around kids, great guard dog aswell

Advertisement