Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remington 700 help

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Cass wrote: »
    Sorry about the delay in replying, but for some reason i'm not getting notifications of replies in this thread.

I would like to get a look at the rifle. Any chance of multiple photos of the rail, screws, stock, action/barrel, rings, etc.

I'll see what I can do man, back in work tomorrow. But on my next couple of days off i'll get the photo shoot on. Shaved or 80's style? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

You only need roughly 0.06mm movement within the mounts to create around 2" at 100yd. (very rough guess)
    Had a loose lens in a Leupold once that did 2".

Let Kevin have a look at it.
    If you were down south we could look at it.
    edi

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=237259

The above link leads to a thread where a person had the exact same problem as me. I'm posting it because although it does not have a solution, it has a picture of 2 groups that illustrates my problem exactly.

Curiously, the poster is also using a rem 700 action in a hs precision stock with alu block.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

You could do a quick bedding of the recoil lug area to try it out.
    Even a quick setting epoxy would do.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Jus went out today with my vssf ii in .223 ( also has a hs stock ) with the plan to confirm zero at 200 yards and then move back to 400 yards to extend my drop table and hopefully bust a few clays :cool:

Anyway at 200 yards I planned to fire 2 shots at one aim point (cold and clean barrel) and then a 3 shot group at a separate aim point. First shot was off paper but second shot hit the target. (had the scope still dialled in for 300 yards from previous day for the 1st shot :rolleyes:) Then I went on to shoot a 3 shot group at just over half an inch.

With zero confirmed and delighted with the small group I said I'd have a pot at the clays which from that position were 250 yards away....Dialled in the scope and bang....bullet strikes to the left....:mad: Fired another shot at a steel plate also at 250 and it strikes to the left but the elevation was perfect... Dialled in for the wind and took another shot at a clay. Bullet strikes over the clay, reloaded and again the bullet strikes over the clay :confused::confused:

Fired again at the plate and the bullet strikes abouit 3 inches higher than poa :confused:. This thread came into my head so I went back to the 200 yards target to see was something similar happening.... It was :mad:

Gonna have to try get out again for an hour to see if this was a once off or not, I'll post a pic later to show what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

patsat wrote: »
    Jus went out today with my vssf ii in .223 ( also has a hs stock ) with the plan to confirm zero at 200 yards and then move back to 400 yards to extend my drop table and hopefully bust a few clays :cool:

Anyway at 200 yards I planned to fire 2 shots at one aim point (cold and clean barrel) and then a 3 shot group at a separate aim point. First shot was off paper but second shot hit the target. (had the scope still dialled in for 300 yards from previous day for the 1st shot :rolleyes:) Then I went on to shoot a 3 shot group at just over half an inch.

With zero confirmed and delighted with the small group I said I'd have a pot at the clays which from that position were 250 yards away....Dialled in the scope and bang....bullet strikes to the left....:mad: Fired another shot at a steel plate also at 250 and it strikes to the left but the elevation was perfect... Dialled in for the wind and took another shot at a clay. Bullet strikes over the clay, reloaded and again the bullet strikes over the clay :confused::confused:

Fired again at the plate and the bullet strikes abouit 3 inches higher than poa :confused:. This thread came into my head so I went back to the 200 yards target to see was something similar happening.... It was :mad:

Gonna have to try get out again for an hour to see if this was a once off or not, I'll post a pic later to show what happened.
    Did you let the barrel cool before shooting at the clays ?
    I know a guy who bedded a couple of HS stocks and he said it did improve accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

zeissman wrote: »
    Did you let the barrel cool before shooting at the clays ?
    I know a guy who bedded a couple of HS stocks and he said it did improve accuracy.

I didn't leave it cool but my shots weren't taken fast and the barrel didn't feel hot when I was putting my hand on it to check. I will get out again (probably not until next week though :( ) and check it again. Just gonna stay at 200 yards and fire a few groups, leaving time between each group.

Patsat, I sent ya a pm there. I may have found the cause of my problem but have to confirm it.

Advertisement