Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life in Toronto

• 10-12-2012 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Valkerie33

I'm based in the GTA.

Its a great city to live in. Safe, good transport systems, excellent facilities and a great social and restaurant scene.

Feel free to ask any questions about Toronto and I'll try and answer.

Cheers

Valkerie33

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MartyLK

Valkerie33 wrote: »
    I'm based in the GTA.

Its a great city to live in. Safe, good transport systems, excellent facilities and a great social and restaurant scene.

Cheers

Valkerie33

Hi, sounds good.
    Any absolute no-no neighbourhoods or areas to live in that you've come across?
    Any helpful hints for do's and don't in job hunting, like resume buzzwords or interview tips being a new immigrant and how it's looked on by companies?

Marty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Jane & Finch.
    Parts of Scarborough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

I'm based in the GTA.

Cheers

Valkerie33

God this was funny! You're real Torontonian asset, with a great sense of humour. Welcome back. I found myself in the brig PDQ myself, and also got a reprieve, so don't feel bad. I would stay away from posting comments on old threads. Links are OK, but embeds seem to tick people off for some reason.

Maybe 1 day we'll have a pint or 2 together.

Agent Weebly..no more prison for me!! its can get interesting in there!
    but I'll say this, the Mods have the patience of Saints.
    there were some real gob****es in there with lots of attitude.

• Advertisement

to echo the previous reply...

Jane & Finch and certain parts of Scarborough and the parts of north york.

Its like any city really, Ive been in dodgy parts of Barcelona, Madrid and London. If you get a weird spider-man like sense and the hairs on the back of your neck stand up... bloody run..and after 23 years in the GTA, never had a problem, just don't let yourself get into dodgy situations, stay alert to your surroundings.

Taxi drivers are great for giving the lay of the land, they have lists of areas they wont go to after dark.

Resume or CV... well it really depends on the field your in. I'd recommend finding a placement agency, or headhunter and align with them. You don't pay them, employers pay them for the service. I've kept a few relationships going over the years with a few, and they've done well for me. They can provide assistance with helping you out to get your CV setup for particular employers.

to echo the previous reply...

Jane & Finch and certain parts of Scarborough and the parts of north york.

Its like any city really, Ive been in dodgy parts of Barcelona, Madrid and London. If you get a weird spider-man like sense and the hairs on the back of your neck stand up... bloody run..and after 23 years in the GTA, never had a problem, just don't let yourself get into dodgy situations, stay alert to your surroundings.

Taxi drivers are great for giving the lay of the land, they have lists of areas they wont go to after dark.

Resume or CV... well it really depends on the field your in. I'd recommend finding a placement agency, or headhunter and align with them. You don't pay them, employers pay them for the service. I've kept a few relationships going over the years with a few, and they've done well for me. They can provide assistance with helping you out to get your CV setup for particular employers.

Thanks folks, all helps!

let me know what field of employment your in, and I'll recommended or give you pointers as to where to look for a head hunter.

(p.s. mods I'm not advertising anything..don't want to get banned again! so how would i post a recommendation for an employment agency without being construed as advertising? use PM?)

let me know what field of employment your in, and I'll recommended or give you pointers as to where to look for a head hunter.

(p.s. mods I'm not advertising anything..don't want to get banned again! so how would i post a recommendation for an employment agency without being construed as advertising? use PM?)

Cheers.

Will be looking at both IT Support, helpdesk or deskside, and customer service rep, from general to communications to banking.

Seems to be a good bit of work in those but never know how employers over there will view Irish work experience, qualifications or the fact I'm not a permanent resident etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

hi marty, im in the same area as yourself. Have you any i.t certs going over? I.T is supposed to be fairly strong in toronto i think.

• Advertisement

zweton wrote: »
    hi marty, im in the same area as yourself. Have you any i.t certs going over? I.T is supposed to be fairly strong in toronto i think.

hi, have a level 6 certificate in IT support from lyit which included 6 months placement on a hospital helpdesk, planning to get the compTIA A+ cert before I go, that should help. Only have about 1 year experience but would only be hopin to go in as Level 1 helpdesk anyway so might be OK.

Yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

about 4 years exp with degree. will be tough enough to get a job there still i think. alot of competition it seems.

zweton wrote: »
    about 4 years exp with degree. will be tough enough to get a job there still i think. alot of competition it seems.

Would imagine you'll be fine, same as anything I suppose, get to interview stage and that's when you have to impress!

I'll struggle to get IT work I think but goin to apply anyway and hope to get a couple of interviews even if only to get a feel of what they're lookin for and what I can maybe use to help in other interviews down the line.

I'll be happy takin an average paid customer service type job at first anyway, not goin over to save big money or drink champagne at weekends! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

As someone has mentioned the areas to avoid in Toronto, Id like to recommend some of the best:

Bloor West Village/High Park
    The Beaches
    The Junction
    The Annex
    Rosedale
    Little Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

fat__tony wrote: »
    As someone has mentioned the areas to avoid in Toronto, Id like to recommend some of the best:

Bloor West Village/High Park
    The Beaches
    The Junction
    The Annex
    Rosedale
    Little Italy

To add,

yonge and eglington, and if you dont mind living further out, yonge and finch.

fat_tony, is your location London ON, or london england?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

retalivity wrote: »
    To add,

yonge and eglington, and if you dont mind living further out, yonge and finch.

fat_tony, is your location London ON, or london england?

Agreed, Yonge and Eglington is a decent hood.

Actually, I live in Toronto.

I used to live and work in London, UK for around 4 months in late 2009 but I never bothered to update my location. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement