Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Licence issues..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Duffah wrote: »
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/Link%20B%20FAQ's%20Bikes.pdf

Right so I'm under 24 with a A learner permit(now defunct). According to this it means I can't do my test on my own bike, a GN250, because it's not a minimum of 395cc and between 25kw and 35kw, for the A2 test.
    So I've to hire a bike to do my test then? Just want to make sure.
    F*cking Rsa
    Duffa
    its actually not the rsa this time. its the EU directive. other countries are doing the same on the same date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

that link crashed my laptop twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

serious3 wrote: »
    that link crashed my laptop twice

Your laptop is ****e then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

goodlad wrote: »

I know I shouldn't but LOL! Good one! Can't stop laughing!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Xaime

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/Link%20B%20FAQ's%20Bikes.pdf

Right so I'm under 24 with a A learner permit(now defunct). According to this it means I can't do my test on my own bike, a GN250, because it's not a minimum of 395cc and between 25kw and 35kw, for the A2 test.
    F*cking Rsa

I am in the same situation. That's why I applied for my test in order to avoid the new legislation. I am doing the test on my CBF250 on December 19th. If I fail I will have to borrow a bike (can't afford one). The new legislation put the biles under 25KWs in frigging limbo. The A2 category should extend to 250 cc

• Advertisement

goodlad wrote: »

well seeing as tho xmas is coming perhaps you would be so kind as to replace it for me?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

serious3 wrote: »

well seeing as tho xmas is coming perhaps you would be so kind as to replace it for me?:p

Have you been nice?

F*cking Rsa

If you know anyone with a suitable bike you can borrow one, a load of people I know passed on a friends factory restricted bike when the restriction law was ignored for everything bar the test, he just added them to his insurance for the day.

It's not as if the changes have been sneaked in, the thread here is running for longer than the wait for the a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Duffah

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you know anyone with a suitable bike you can borrow one, a load of people I know passed on a friends factory restricted bike when the restriction law was ignored for everything bar the test, he just added them to his insurance for the day.

It's not as if the changes have been sneaked in, the thread here is running for longer than the wait for the a test.

My problem is I haven't the licence the 6 months necessary to apply for my test in time, despite the fact I had an A1 licence for over 2 years and I've my Ibt done.. But desite all that I safely know, everyone thinks I'm still not as good on a bike as a 24 year old who has just passed their IBT.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

I got my learner permit in July 2012. Riding a GS500 restricted.
    I have my test booked but I have to wait until after the new system is in place to allow for the six month period to lapse.
    Can anyone explain what my options are?
    The way I read it, I can't take a category A test on the GS500 as it is probably under the power limit.
    So do I need to apply for a new Category A permit, buy a more powerful bike and then take the test on that or what???

Very confused.

• Advertisement

I got my learner permit in July 2012. Riding a GS500 restricted.
    I have my test booked but I have to wait until after the new system is in place to allow for the six month period to lapse.
    Can anyone explain what my options are?
    The way I read it, I can't take a category A test on the GS500 as it is probably under the power limit.
    So do I need to apply for a new Category A permit, buy a more powerful bike and then take the test on that or what???

Very confused.

If your bike is restricted to 25 KW yo can do the A2. You will need a bike over 35 KW to do the A test. You could remove the restriction if it is shop restricted or you could borrow one. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

And if I do the A2 then how do I get the A eventually?

And if I do the A2 then how do I get the A eventually?

I think it's the same way as now. You apply for the test.

so you have to do two tests if you do a2 then a???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

If you start at 16 there is 3 tests that will have to be done the same rules across the board its coming in in the UK also
    Mopeds under 50cc restricted to no more then 50km/h
    when you reach 19 and want to get a bigger bike you must do a test on a bike power between 33 and 47 bhp 385cc min.

If you want to go direct route eg go straight onto full power aprox 600cc you must be 24 and at that will still be restricted for 2 years

If you start at 16 there is 3 tests that will have to be done the same rules across the board its coming in in the UK also
    Mopeds under 50cc restricted to no more then 50km/h
    when you reach 19 and want to get a bigger bike you must do a test on a bike power between 33 and 47 bhp 385cc min.

If you want to go direct route eg go straight onto full power aprox 600cc you must be 24 and at that will still be restricted for 2 years

Not true. The 2 year restriction will be abolished with the new rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

This is all very confusing. I was recently thinking about getting back into bikes, can someone help clarify my situation?

I'm over 24 but probably wont be able to do the theory test until after January 2013.
    Whats this direct access thing?
    and If I want my full A would I need to pass on something thats a minimum of 600cc?

somefeen wrote: »
    This is all very confusing. I was recently thinking about getting back into bikes, can someone help clarify my situation?

I'm over 24 but probably wont be able to do the theory test until after January 2013.
    Whats this direct access thing?
    and If I want my full A would I need to pass on something thats a minimum of 600cc?

Believe it or not it's actually alot easier for you after January 19th than the current system.

1. Apply and pass the theory test
    2. Apply for new unrestricted "A" LP
    3. Complete IBT and take lessons
    4. Take test after 6 month waiting rule on a bike with minimum 35kw/595cc
    5. You now have a full unrestricted licence

God help anyone starting out who's under 24, they'll need alot of patience and €€€€ to get their full A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Faith+1 wrote: »
    4. Take test after 6 month waiting rule on a bike with minimum 35kw/595cc

....how will they know you've actually been riding around for the 6 months anyway ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »

....how will they know you've actually been riding around for the 6 months anyway ?

They don't, same as with the current 2 year restriction. You can pass your test, never look at a bike and after 2 years jump onto a full power bike.

The restrictions are BS, as you are dangerous on a bike of any power. Proper training is much more important than restricting power for new riders. But these laws are made by technocrats in the EU who have never ridin a bike, so they assume power is bad. Power isn't bad, lack of knowledge is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Considering we are now on 2013, does anyone know what is the module 5? Actually having read the RSA document I'm confused if the over 24's with current A provisional need to do a module 5 to get new A license?

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Considering we are now on 2013, does anyone know what is the module 5? Actually having read the RSA document I'm confused if the over 24's with current A provisional need to do a module 5 to get new A license?

If your going for the A unrestricted learner permit and have already done the IBT then you will be required to undertake the conversion module 5 only (13hrs).
    Now once you exchange your learner permit for the new A unrestricted you cant ride your full power bike until you have the ibt completed.
    If you dont have any IBT training done before then its the full 18hrs Ibt.
    Module 5 is basically a repeat of modules 2 & 4 with 2 extra hours which we are still waiting on confirmation of the content to be covered.

Anyone with a full restricted A licence wishing to have the restriction lifted can do so by doing the same as above if over 24. There is no extra test to be taken as the instructor can sign you off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Mr Motorcycle

galwaytt wrote: »

The problem arises with insurance
    No IBT = no insurance

Even if you have paid the premium and have the policy in your hand
    Its not worth the paper its printed on unless you have an IBT cert

So if your stopped and dont have an IBT cert thats automatic 6 points on your licence

So with the new laws that will come into effect thats an automatic six months ban

So thats your car licence and any other licence with points and a ban

So riding around without completing your IBT first is not a good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,408 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No IBT = no insurance

So if your stopped and dont have an IBT cert thats automatic 6 points on your licence

So with the new laws that will come into effect thats an automatic six months ban

Er no I think he meant that the 6 month period before you're allowed take the test is supposed to be for gaining experience. But you might get very little riding in in that time between IBT and test, especially if you didn't own your own bike when you did IBT. I think it's a stupid rule, if someone is willing to waste their money by doing the test too soon, and end up failing, then that's their problem. In the UK they've no problem with going from complete beginner to taking CBT and a direct access test within a week.

Same thing with the 2 year restriction period on the old system, even if you never ride a bike at all during that time you will 'magically' become a better rider on the 2nd anniversary of passing your test.

Scrap the cap!

No IBT = no insurance

I think he meant the 6 months wait until the you can take the test Mr motorcycle. The answer is they don't but the reason is to give time to practice and do your training. The examiners aren't stupid they know who has been riding and who hasn't. Before the 6 month rule came in several years ago people were turning up for tests totally unprepared and sometimes dangerous.
    Btw driving with no insurance is a mandatory court appearance and a minimum 5 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

These new unrestricted A licences are available from Jan 19, however, any applications received for a license after 12th Jan will be issued under the new system(RSA are not issuing any licenses between jan 12-18- this is the transition period.)

So, is there anything wrong with applying for new unrestricted LP on Jan 12th and sitting new IBT on Jan 21st? What would happen if I did the IBT, then my new license arrives and because of a backlog has an issue date of say Jan 23rd?

bambera wrote: »
    These new unrestricted A licences are available from Jan 19, however, any applications received for a license after 12th Jan will be issued under the new system(RSA are not issuing any licenses between jan 12-18- this is the transition period.)

So, is there anything wrong with applying for new unrestricted LP on Jan 12th and sitting new IBT on Jan 21st? What would happen if I did the IBT, then my new license arrives and because of a backlog has an issue date of say Jan 23rd?
    I have actually emailed the RSA today to find out if we can commence Direct Access with a licence number in case of a backlog. I will let you know what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

bambera wrote: »

The 19th is a Saturday, you won't recieve your licence until at very least the monday and since you must have it with you to do IBT and your IBT starts at presumably 9 am wherever you are you won't have your mail delivered by then....BUT you only need the licence to drive on Public Roads...Module 1 and 2 of IBT have to be in a private compound and that takes up the whole first day, so if you could be guaranteed of having your licence on the morning of the 22nd I'd go for it.

So I have no real advice except ask your IBT instructor what he thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Will the need for driving a restricted bike disappear for people over 24 who do there IBT after the 19th on the unrestricted A, or will insurance companies say you can only drive up to a 250 or something like that? Basically how do you see insurance premiums going?

Am I right in thinking IBT after the 19th is just modules 1,3 & 5?

• Advertisement

The 19th is a Saturday, you won't recieve your licence until at very least the monday and since you must have it with you to do IBT and your IBT starts at presumably 9 am wherever you are you won't have your mail delivered by then....BUT you only need the licence to drive on Public Roads...Module 1 and 2 of IBT have to be in a private compound and that takes up the whole first day, so if you could be guaranteed of having your licence on the morning of the 22nd I'd go for it.

So I have no real advice except ask your IBT instructor what he thinks.
    The problem is mini that the bike insurance isn't valid unless the person has a LP (even in the compound) which is why proof of licence number is needed. If they have that at least we know they have actually applied for it.

Advertisement