Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Licence issues..

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Yzf R6

kaimera wrote: »
    That's the point being made in previous posts. Rather ****ty for those with 'legacy' LPs as they are.

One of the instructors will tell you for sure but I think you'll get a A2 LP.

You're options then for test would be to un-restrict the r6 and do the IBT and get your full A.

Or take the test on a diff bike that conforms to a2 test spec and drive your restricted r6 afterwards. (which i think is still ok?)

Thanks for reply,just really pissed off at the moment,licence expired on 18-01-13 but I'm still insured and taxed until the end of the year.
    I did about 30 hours of lessons last summer with my instructor,does this count for anything,also 5 years driving bikes fully insured.
    I failed the test in September as I was unprepared and had to organise a day off at short notice due to the RSA canceling the test 5 times previous due to weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Yzf R6 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply,just really pissed off at the moment,licence expired on 18-01-13 but I'm still insured and taxed until the end of the year.
    I did about 30 hours of lessons last summer with my instructor,does this count for anything,also 5 years driving bikes fully insured.
    I failed the test in September as I was unprepared and had to organise a day off at short notice due to the RSA canceling the test 5 times previous due to weather.
    Tell me about it :(

Herself has the same prob:

Restricted fazer600 to 25kw.

LP expired last year, got it renewed before jan 19th luckily. Went for test on Thurs past; told the fazer is too powerful originally (78 brake or so) to take the A2 test on.

Yet she was able to legally drive away from the test center and can drive for the reminder of her LP. On appeal she was given a a re-test but told she cannot take the fazer.

RE: the hours you did, unless you have a book or a cert saying you completed IBT hours, they don't count for **** I'd say :(

You and her are doubtful to be the only ones got in the middle of this; the RSA rules are rather unclear in fairness for those with existing LP before Dec 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭prunudo

Yzf R6 wrote: »
    I understand what you're saying but the R6 is restricted,if that's the case there will be a lot of people forced to sell their bikes even though they have been riding perfectly legal for years.I will be renewing my licence on Tuesday so what will they give me in the new system and what would I be allowed ride?

As Roadskill said your best bet would be to apply for a unrestricted A learner permit but you will have to do the full IBT before you are legally allowed ride the r6

Or

Get an A2 learner permit which would restrict you to 35kw or 46hp but and this is the important part
    the orginal bike cannot produce more than twice the restricted power. So the R6 wouldn't be legal as it produces more than 70kw as standard.

And I agree it is a complete kick in the nuts that after 5 years of riding that all of a sudden the bike becomes illegal over night through no fault of yours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Yzf R6

Thanks for the advice,will renew on Tuesday and see what I get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭alo1587

Just read through all this and i must say my head is numb from it :)

So if someone could just confirm.I am 34 years of age.I have never done IBT,as I got my restricted category A learner permit in October 2009.If I go to the tax office,I can get an unrestricted category A learner permit.
    I then go do my test on a Bandit 600,which is 599cc and 58kw approx.
    If I pass I get a full unrestricted category A licence?
    According to Q13(b) in the RSA info this seems to be the case.

Thanks all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

alo1587 wrote: »
    Just read through all this and i must say my head is numb from it :)

So if someone could just confirm.I am 34 years of age.I have never done IBT,as I got my restricted category A learner permit in October 2009.If I go to the tax office,I can get an unrestricted category A learner permit.
    I then go do my test on a Bandit 600,which is 599cc and 58kw approx.
    If I pass I get a full unrestricted category A licence?
    According to Q13(b) in the RSA info this seems to be the case.

Thanks all :)
    You must do the full ibt (18hrs) if you go for the new A LP. when you take you rest it must be on a bike over 595cc and st least 40kw power. After November this will increase to over 50kw & <180KG.

Roadskill wrote: »
    You must do the full ibt (18hrs) if you go for the new A LP. when you take you rest it must be on a bike over 595cc and st least 40kw power. After November this will increase to over 50kw & <180KG.

If I stay on my existing old paper restricted licence,would I get away with doing the IBT part 5 and then doing my test? I cant really afford to do the whole IBT,all this cost really puts off people getting on a bike at all doesnt it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

alo1587 wrote: »

If I stay on my existing old paper restricted licence,would I get away with doing the IBT part 5 and then doing my test? I cant really afford to do the whole IBT,all this cost really puts off people getting on a bike at all doesnt it :(
    Short answer is no. There are no more paper permits being issued as of 19th Jan but you could go for the A2 restricted to 35kw without needing ibt.

Roadskill wrote: »
    Short answer is no. There are no more paper permits being issued as of 19th Jan but you could go for the A2 restricted to 35kw without needing ibt.

Ok Roadskill thanks for the advice.Thats me fecked anyway :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement