Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Half Marathon

Options
  • 10-12-2012 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I'm getting sorted for next year. RunIrealnd.com has a half marathon in Balbriggan on 17th March. The timing suits my planned training but there is no reference to a website. Does anyone know anything about this event?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Bludub wrote: »
    I'm getting sorted for next year. RunIrealnd.com has a half marathon in Balbriggan on 17th March. The timing suits my planned training but there is no reference to a website. Does anyone know anything about this event?

That sounds good. I'm from Balbriggan originally so would love to do this if it is on. Must investigate...if I find out anything will post back here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Have seen on Book Face that it is being run for a local cancer charity and that details about route etc will be available in the New Year. Also says it will be chip timed.

I know the fella organising it so I'll try to get more information.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Have seen on Book Face that it is being run for a local cancer charity and that details about route etc will be available in the New Year. Also says it will be chip timed.

Yes that's as much as I could find out, Balbriggan Cancer Support Group. Would be interesting to see what course they have planned. They do say "an undulating course" on runireland.com and knowing the area there is potential for a testing 13.1 alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm expecting showers and post race meal in your gaff after this race. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bludub

Thanks everyone for the responses. If Pistol_75 manages to get more info that would be great. Looks like it could be a good challenge preparing for the Kildare marathon in May.

• Advertisement

The information I'm getting is that sponsorship is in place and will be professionally run. The course had been sorted but had to be ammended due to a Sunday morning. The updated course will be available in the next week or so. There is a launch night planned in January.

Thanks pistol_75 - looks like I will put it on my list of races for 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭rdunne

any one got more info on this . facebook link?

Thanks

Hi all,

I have found out this will be 2 loops. The first loop will have an extra K or so at the start to make up the distance. Meant to be running the loop on Sunday morning so will see if I can post a link to it afterwards.

Thanks Pistol, looking forward to that

• Advertisement

rdunne wrote: »
    any one got more info on this . facebook link?

Thanks

I found this http://www.balbriggan.info/bcsg_run_march_2013/bcsg_21k_march_2013.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

My wife joined the team who was doing the 10k practice run this morning.

Here's her Garmin output
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/261466317

She told me that the half marathon with be 2 loops with an extra 1k on hamilton road on the 1st loop.
    Hope this helps ...

Hi guys,

Ran this loop yesterday. Just some feedback to go with the Garmin link. The race will all be on roads. As already said the extra 1km is added on pretty much at the start then it is 2 loops. The garmin link makes it look pretty flat. It's not. There are a few short sharp hills alright but also means some nice downhills to pick up any time lost.

IMO probably not a PB course but definitly a good test of your fitness if that is what your looking for.

Note: There is also a 10K race as well.

Thanks Pistol/Vico

Looks like a nice little tester in preparation for Kildare marathon.

This event is being launched tonight in The Bracken Court hotel at 7:30pm by Gerry Duffy. Open to anyone that wishes to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭BenMicheal

Anymore ifo availible since the launch?

BenMicheal wrote: »
    Anymore ifo availible since the launch?

What do you want to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Is there a website for this event?

Charity?

Is there a website for this event?

Charity?

No race specific website. Entry is on run ireland. €30 for 1/2 marathon and it is being run for charity. Seems to have a few high profile sponsors behind it.

There are prizes but I don't expect these will be cash prizes.

There are prizes but I don't expect these will be cash prizes.

In other words finishers medals?

Is there a route map online?

• Advertisement

In other words finishers medals?

I'm talking about at the top end of the field, where some races have cash prizes. There are goodie bags for all finishers

Is there a route map online?

There is a garmin link in one of the posts above. Basically it is 2 loops of this with an extra 1k near the start that is flat.

Trying to convince a friend to so this race with me but the lack of info and it being on Paddys day is putting him off!

If anyone can answer any of theses questions you would be helping me alot!!

Firstly I presume the route is all on the road and not having to take to the footpath in places?
    How many people are the planners hoping to get?
    Do finishers get medals or a goodie bag for finishing?
    Will water be availible on the route?
    Is it easy to get parking in the area?

Trying to convince a friend to so this race with me but the lack of info and it being on Paddys day is putting him off!

If anyone can answer any of theses questions you would be helping me alot!!

Firstly I presume the route is all on the road and not having to take to the footpath in places?
    How many people are the planners hoping to get?
    Do finishers get medals or a goodie bag for finishing?
    Will water be availible on the route?
    Is it easy to get parking in the area?

All on road. Small section on cycle track to turnaround point (few hundred metres)

Hoping for 500 between 10K & HM

Goodie bag for finishers

Water on route but don't know how many stops.

Plenty of parking around area.

I have nothing to do with the organising but just answering based on what I have heard and seen on the route.

All on road. Small section on cycle track to turnaround point (few hundred metres)

Hoping for 500 between 10K & HM

Goodie bag for finishers

Water on route but don't know how many stops.

Plenty of parking around area.

I have nothing to do with the organising but just answering based on what I have heard and seen on the route.

Just to add to that, I'd say best place to park is opposite the Church as that wouldn't be far from the start/finish and there is a big car park there.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

Is the entry limited, also nice timing for Cork marathon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 V Drozd Fanclub

Would have been nice if someone would have answered either contact number which I've been ringing for 2 days. Anyone know where the business park is for picking up numbers? Can they be collected on Sunday morning (some sites say they can, others contradict this).

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Would have been nice if someone would have answered either contact number which I've been ringing for 2 days. Anyone know where the business park is for picking up numbers? Can they be collected on Sunday morning (some sites say they can, others contradict this).

http://goo.gl/maps/MwFmn
    I've put a marker on the map

• Registered Users Posts: 5 V Drozd Fanclub

Nice one Vico, thanking you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Signed up for this during the week but didn't get any further info on registration etc.

Can anyone help me with the details? Thanks

• Advertisement

Signed up for this during the week but didn't get any further info on registration etc.

Can anyone help me with the details? Thanks

I think they were to be collected Friday or today if possible. I'd get there in the morning in plenty of time to pick yours up from the centre.

Advertisement