Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Half Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Definitely the worst race I've run for info, there is nothing from organisers, not even a pre race email. Lets hope they have 2 water stations for us

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I ran this today. Organisation was poor concerning start and differentiating between 10 k and Half marathon route at 3 km point but otherwise a very well organised challenging event.

Was thankful the weather let up as was :eek::eek: when driving to it on M1 this morning and found myself in a snow blizzard squall.

Plenty of I ran with Ray t-shirts as well so sure I may seem many of the same faces at Kildare marathon if take it up.

Anyone any idea where I can view the chip times results please?

Vico1612 wrote: »
    My wife joined the team who was doing the 10k practice run this morning.

Here's her Garmin output
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/261466317

She told me that the half marathon with be 2 loops with an extra 1k on hamilton road on the 1st loop.
    Hope this helps ...

Wish I'd read this before the race, like may others I almost missed it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Start was a bit disorganised alright but worse thing for me was that the race measured short for me by about 600m. That is really frustrating. Much better for it to go long than short. I know there can be differences on Garmin etc but 600m is too much.I was really happy with my time but now I dont think I can really count it as an official pb.Rhat aspect is more painful than my legs right now.
    I just hope they raised lots of much needed funds as the cause is a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

RedRunner wrote: »
    Start was a bit disorganised alright but worse thing for me was that the race measured short for me by about 600m. That is really frustrating. Much better for it to go long than short. I know there can be differences on Garmin etc but 600m is too much.I was really happy with my time but now I dont think I can really count it as an official pb.Rhat aspect is more painful than my legs right now.
    I just hope they raised lots of much needed funds as the cause is a good one.

Yep, 12.7miles for me. And a 2-minute PB is confirmation of a short course! It baffles me when chip timing is used but there isn't a properly measured course, or something that even comes close. Very misleading for people who think they have run a half-marathon in x.xx. But I'm always suspicious when the start and finish are in places that seem most convenient for the organisers. Very annoying as it was a nice course.

• Advertisement

roro2 wrote: »

Yep, 12.7miles for me. And a 2-minute PB is confirmation of a short course! It baffles me when chip timing is used but there isn't a properly measured course, or something that even comes close. Very misleading for people who think they have run a half-marathon in x.xx. But I'm always suspicious when the start and finish are in places that seem most convenient for the organisers. Very annoying as it was a nice course.

I thought it was my Nike App that was acting up!!

Ridiculous to get it that far wrong.

They should have done the extension off the roundabout after 3km again.

I also thought I had put a serious dent in my PB!!

Will have to remember the good cause!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 V Drozd Fanclub

Last year's Dublin series was my only benchmark re organisation and in comparison this was (let's face it, charity considerations aside) terribly organised. Why the start finish line was inside the business park was beyond me and all that messing around at the start when people were cold and needed to get going was very frustrating. All this combined with the fact that none of the phone numbers given as contacts actually worked during the week made for a poor day. I'm glad I did it as it was for a great cause but they really need to address these issues if they are to bring the the same number back next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

Last year's Dublin series was my only benchmark re organisation and in comparison this was (let's face it, charity considerations aside) terribly organised. Why the start finish line was inside the business park was beyond me and all that messing around at the start when people were cold and needed to get going was very frustrating. All this combined with the fact that none of the phone numbers given as contacts actually worked during the week made for a poor day. I'm glad I did it as it was for a great cause but they really need to address these issues if they are to bring the the same number back next year.

Agreed on the business park site for finish and starting line.

Hopefully they learn from it though as I'd definitley do again next year.

Yes. A big pity because the course itself presents a really good challenge with the hills and faster sections. I'd like to see this event happening again and get same or bigger numbers for agreat cause. Balbriggan is my home town so I would especially like it to succeed in the future.

• Advertisement

Even thought the course was short , would still like to see the official results anybody know when/where they might be available. Nothing on balbriggan.info and no details on previous entry supporting emails. Not sure who was doing the timing but checked championchip and precision timing but they don't have event listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ceekay

RedRunner wrote: »
    Even thought the course was short , would still like to see the official results anybody know when/where they might be available. Nothing on balbriggan.info and no details on previous entry supporting emails. Not sure who was doing the timing but checked championchip and precision timing but they don't have event listed.
    It is intended that there will be results available on the balbriggan.info website later this evening.

Ceekay wrote: »
    It is intended that there will be results available on the balbriggan.info website later this evening.

Ok. Thanks very much for the update.

Ceekay wrote: »

Mind posting a link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Seillejet wrote: »
    Mind posting a link please?

http://www.balbriggan.info/

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Times seem to be about 30 seconds out too. For me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ceekay

Times seem to be about 30 seconds out too. For me anyway.
    Yes...I'm 30 secs. too fast.

• Advertisement

Bit of a mess all round. Again - why bother with chips, putting km markers out or even advertising a half-marathon? Other than to mislead people to boost numbers. Just as well the funds go to a good cause, presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Combo.

Bit of a mess all round. Again - why bother with chips, putting km markers out or even advertising a half-marathon? Other than to mislead people to boost numbers. Just as well the funds go to a good cause, presumably.

Couldn't agree more. There were a lot of aspects I found quite painful from beginning to end. The route was a great challenge, even though it was torture actually doing it. My app only said 12.8 miles which is fairly frustrating.

I don't think I'd rush to do this one again sorry to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tonyrun

Bit of a messy start, course was definitely short but a very challenging run made it enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Was due to run this but glad I didn't know, don't really need a 12.8 time :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

on my garmin watch i measured 20.50km, my friend measured 20.48. was my half marathon in race format and was very happy with time just unfortunate theres a good chance i wont beat it...(boooo)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Blackie04

First of all people need to take a step back and remember that this event was for a very worth while cause and that's what matters above everything else.

There are definitely some things the organizers need to work on for next year:

1. Measure the distances accurately
    2. Information could to be made more readily available pre race
    3. Better organized Start/Finish area

I think if these points are addressed this could go on to be a very successful event in to the future.

I personally would like to congratulate all involved and look forward to running in this event again next year and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭pok3rplaya

Worthwhile cause or not, some portion of the money you paid went to the chip timing company who were supposed to time the race properly and measure the course properly.

They failed to do either of those things and effectively delivered a faulty product.

Personally, this was my first half marathon. I put in weeks of effort to get around the course, busted my ass on the day and now I find out that I haven't even run a half marathon. It's going to be weeks until I can try again.

I'm considering attempting to get a refund. At least for the portion of the money that didn't go to the cancer support centre.

Could someone who GPSed the race post a picture of the data from the device please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

pok3rplaya wrote: »
    Worthwhile cause or not, some portion of the money you paid went to the chip timing company who were supposed to time the race properly and measure the course properly.

They failed to do either of those things and effectively delivered a faulty product.

Personally, this was my first half marathon. I put in weeks of effort to get around the course, busted my ass on the day and now I find out that I haven't even run a half marathon. It's going to be weeks until I can try again.

I'm considering attempting to get a refund. At least for the portion of the money that didn't go to the cancer support centre.

Could someone who GPSed the race post a picture of the data from the device please?

The timing company is not responsible for the measurement of the course.

Blackie04 wrote: »
    First of all people need to take a step back and remember that this event was for a very worth while cause and that's what matters above everything else.

There are definitely some things the organizers need to work on for next year:

1. Measure the distances accurately
    2. Information could to be made more readily available pre race
    3. Better organized Start/Finish area

I think if these points are addressed this could go on to be a very successful event in to the future.

I personally would like to congratulate all involved and look forward to running in this event again next year and beyond.

I've run lots of races for good causes and raised thousands for charity from running, so I think you are missing the point here. everyone here has acknowledged the good cause and nothing changes that but I would have happily donated €30 to BCSG without the need to run 12.68 miles. If you offer a product in the name of charity then you must live up to you promise. The really bad thing about this is that the charity might suffer as a result and not get the numbers next year and that would be a shame. Word gets around the running community and people might go for other options next year. The running calendar is bursting with events these days.

Look ,like you I applaud the marshals, the volunteers, the tea makers, registration people etc but they got a lot of the basics wrong and they need to correct those if they want a successful annual fundraiser. For instance I know from speaking to one of the volunteers that race packs were available all day Saturday till 5 yet the email that went out said only till 1pm! so it was no surprise there was a long queue on the morning of event.

I'll say no more. I hope they raised lots of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭pok3rplaya

pistol_75 wrote: »
    The timing company is not responsible for the measurement of the course.

Do you know who was responsible?

Advertisement