Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Half Marathon

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Blackie04

I ran the half marathon in Connemara 8 years ago. We were let off the bus in Leenane, told to walk up to the church and go from there...no start line or official start...the Connemarathon is now a hugely successful event and run like clockwork despite the farce it was in its infancy.

Cut the organizers some slack and if you feel so strongly about it get involved in the behind the scenes work next year.

P.S. Anyone that has put in weeks of training for a half marathon should be more than capable of running the distance back to back weekends. There's one in Wicklow next weekend, check out the calendar on RunIreland for more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

pok3rplaya wrote: »
    Do you know who was responsible?

The event was run for BCSG so ultimately they are responsible for the course as well as everything else. I know the person responsible for measuring the course but unfortunately it looks like a genuine error. Hopefully it can be rectified in future years. There's not a lot we can do about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kmp1

Sure it's out a bit but if its that bad, its only a little bit out, put it into a pace calculator the time and distance and convert it into the half marathon distance, I didn't it only would be less than a minute's distance anyhow. Could be lucky it was shorter than normal, otherwise I wouldn't have won it by 2 seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 roadruner23

Bludub wrote: »
    I'm getting sorted for next year. RunIrealnd.com has a half marathon in Balbriggan on 17th March. The timing suits my planned training but there is no reference to a website. Does anyone know anything about this event?

Can you let me know was this a hard course not used to the hills and just drove the route yesterday as I am not from the area?usually run on the flat so really worried.thanks would love to hear from yoy

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

just wondering how this went today. Im from the area, but away for weekend so couldn't take part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great event. Much better organisation than last year. Congrats to all involved in what was a very enjoyable race on a challenging course. Very well marshalled and plenty of water stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 roadruner23

Rules I clearly read no headphones for this race and it was very poor as I noticed a large amount of running clubs with them.Not very fair to the people who went without for the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AlsoRan

I ran the half marathon yesterday and friends did the 10K. We all really enjoyed it, it was a tough enough course due to the hills but that's no harm at this stage of the year. I think the organisers did really well, lots of water stations, lovely atmosphere, I don't think I've ever got such a round of applause crossing the line (and I was closer to the end than anywhere else). I hope to do this again next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I thought it was a good tough course. Lots of water stations, maybe 5 per 10k lap? Probably too many I guess especially when handing out 500ml bottles. That's not a complaint just a way to tighten up the budget for next year.

My only gripe was there were a few unmanned roundabouts at the start of the second lap. Wasn't sure which way to turn a few times and had to slow down to ask...(this is probably down to my own goldfish memory though :o). other than that it was very well organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Well done everybody !
    I didn't run the race yesterday but did the 10k route as a practice run with some friends the week end before and I'd forgotten about some of the hills :-)

I was out with the camera yesterday , trying my best to capture some action ... don't know which is worse , my running or my photo skills ...
    Anyway feel free to checkout the pic set and grab the pics you want if you spot yourself
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/victorpendlebury/sets/72157642488081593/

• Advertisement
Advertisement