Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Current Best Cheap 8-10 Inch Tablet?

• 10-12-2012 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, figured this would be the best place to ask. What is the best 8-10 inch tablet currently from the likes of Ainol or Huawei or whoever?

All I'm looking for is Cyanogenmod compatible, decent screen and decent wi-fi (as in use it a good bit away from the router not locked to being in the same room the way a lot of these are), an SD card slot is also a must, good battery also a plus.

Main uses will be for browsing, ebooks, comics and HD video. Is there anything out there that meets these requirements? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

You were able to get a samsung tab2 10" for <€250 fairly recently off amazon incl. €50 cashback from samsung which is pretty good. ik if thats still available though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Thargor wrote: »
    Hi, figured this would be the best place to ask. What is the best 8-10 inch tablet currently from the likes of Ainol or Huawei or whoever?

All I'm looking for is Cyanogenmod compatible, decent screen and decent wi-fi (as in use it a good bit away from the router not locked to being in the same room the way a lot of these are), an SD card slot is also a must, good battery also a plus.

Main uses will be for browsing, ebooks, comics and HD video. Is there anything out there that meets these requirements? Thanks.

can't offer suggestions, but I know several people including myself that have sub -€150 tablets of various make and one thing the varies wildly among them is battery performance, when picking one really pay attention to that part of reviews !!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

You were able to get a samsung tab2 10" for <€250 fairly recently off amazon incl. €50 cashback from samsung which is pretty good. ik if thats still available though.
    Yeah I have one of them reserved, is dual core 1 ghz and 1 mb of RAM going to be really slow though?

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=351930

I also have a Note 10.1 reserved aswell, quad core, double the RAM, same screen, cant decide which I want, Ill go for the Note if people think its a good deal, 330 after cashback:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5089143/Trail/searchtext%3ENOTE+10.htm

Both still a bit pricey even with the cashback though, is the note a good deal do you think? Is there anything better coming in the next few weeks? Nexus 10 is out due to no expandable storage, I have no problem with buying an Ainol or whatever as long as its decent and 8-10 inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

What ever you do dont buy one of the cheap tabs from ebay or the likes, they are crap.
    Remember, if you buy cheap you buy twice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Just looking round myself for my son ( howya doing Thargor) long time no see ;)

This any good?

http://www.adverts.ie/tablet/sales-blitz-10-new-model-tablet-pc/1350039

Stargate

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Stargate wrote: »
    Just looking round myself for my son ( howya doing Thargor) long time no see ;)

This any good?

http://www.adverts.ie/tablet/sales-blitz-10-new-model-tablet-pc/1350039

Stargate

Android 2.3? I wouldn't touch it. Get the Nexus 7. It's €250 but it's a great tablet. For what you're getting it really is a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

i think €330 for the note 2 is very good, but it may be a little over spec'd for some (probably most) especially if you just plan to browse/watch films. im not the most experienced tablet user though (i get my tab2 at christmas :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kuldeep121

I would suggest do not go for cheap tablets as you will end up buying another one...and even then you want to...there are many cheap china tablets available in market!!
    I read about one yesterday and their prices are very reasonable with features involved with no guarantee!!

0Is the dual core and 1 gig of RAM going to be fast enough for browsing and watching HD video on the Galaxy Tab? I can't stand slow interfaces...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Got a TF300 for 220 off adverts no complaints at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

AAAAGH!! :mad: Just had loads written out, and Firefox Crashed. :mad:

It may be possible to get the Tablet for €169 tomorrow.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" 32GB is on sale tomorrow, some may get a better deal then others.
    If anyone got the HP touchpad from FNAC and it was delayed, a few people got offered membership cards. Anyway, good deal here, and may be better depending on if you have a membership card or not.

Also €50 back with Samsung Cashback.
    From tomorrow! Attention to confirm deal: It is not sure that the two bids (membership and provides SFR) are cumulative!

-

FNAC are currently offering the tablet at 329 euros instead of 429 euros for its members.

Deals SFR: This Wednesday at Fnac and fnac.com get a further €110 reduction off the Galaxy Tab 2 32GB with the discount code 9820000000174.

Also get €50 Cashback
    REFUND TO OFFER SAMSUNG 50 €:

1 November to 31 December 2012 inclusive, Samsung reimburses up to 50 € for buying a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 or Galaxy Tab 2 (all sizes, all colors).

See conditions in store or click here to download the repayment terms.
    More information about http://www.samsung.com/fr/promotions .

LINK TO FNAC DEAL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Just saw this 10 inch tablet on Hotukdeals ,for £95 ,looks decent and delivered from the Uk (will need to use Parcelmotel)
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/natpc-x210-dual-core-10-1-1gb-ram-16gb-storage-android-4-1-jelly-bean-tablet-pc-1403228?page=2#post16418797

Allyall wrote: »
    AAAAGH!! :mad: Just had loads written out, and Firefox Crashed. :mad:

It may be possible to get the Tablet for €169 tomorrow.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" 32GB is on sale tomorrow, some may get a better deal then others.
    If anyone got the HP touchpad from FNAC and it was delayed, a few people got offered membership cards. Anyway, good deal here, and may be better depending on if you have a membership card or not.

Also €50 back with Samsung Cashback.

LINK TO FNAC DEAL
    Very interesting, thanks. If I order the membership card now for €10 to become a member do you think Ill have to wait for it to come in the post or will I be able to use it straight away online?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You need to go into a FNAC store with an ID card or send them a letter in order to get the card.

I wonder would they let me get ten of them...

edit: just tried, it let me buy the card on line but it had to be delivered by post

Very interesting, thanks. If I order the membership card now for €10 to become a member do you think Ill have to wait for it to come in the post or will I be able to use it straight away online?

I don't know.. You could ring/email them. I'd imagine you will be issued a membership number immediately..?

Also a €3.99 membership for short term (Not sure if it's available over Christmas period), but their deals are so good, a proper membership is well worth it..

You need to go into a FNAC store with an ID card or send them a letter in order to get the card.

I wonder would they let me get ten of them...

You'll be lucky :) I'd say the site will be busy at midnight. (They're an hour ahead of us, so best bet to get it would be 23:00PM our time).

I saw it on a couple of French deal sites, FNAC are pretty good at handling heavy traffic, and they honour sales (If you bought one and they were OOS).
    I'd expect this deal to be close to the HP Touchpad traffic for FNAC.

Looks like I wont be a member in time:

WANT TO JOIN BY MAIL

If you can not go into a store, see the terms and conditions of membership below. After acceptance, you can send your application stating your name, address and date of birth, accompanied by a check for the amount of your contribution to:
    Fnac Service adhesion
    9, rue des Bateaux-Lavoirs
    94768 Ivry-sur-Seine cedexThe membership fee is 30 € or 22 € if you are under 26 years of age card for 3 years and € 12 or € 9 if you are under 26 years of age card for 1 year. The card will be mailed two weeks after receipt of your application.

If you simulate a purchase of the card (costs 10 euros instead of 30 currently) and the tablet at the same time it includes the discount in the final price. The code is not valid yet so it ends up at €329 (which is the current price for this tablet in other shops - the membership reduction is a bit of a lie).

Just saw that alright, got my cart ready to go, roll on 11 pm and lets see what happens!

• Advertisement

Sorely tempted to get one as a spare...

Is it a good tablet Pickarooney?

Any time I've used it I've been fairly impressed (once the default launcher was switched off). The screen is beautiful, lovely colours.

If you simulate a purchase of the card (costs 10 euros instead of 30 currently) and the tablet at the same time it includes the discount in the final price. The code is not valid yet so it ends up at €329 (which is the current price for this tablet in other shops - the membership reduction is a bit of a lie).
    Just tried to complete a purchase there and it wont let it go through because they dont deliver the cards to Ireland, balls :mad:

Any clue about a workaround?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just tried to complete a purchase there and it wont let it go through because they dont deliver the cards to Ireland, balls :mad:

Parcel motel

Try buying the card separately and getting it delivered to a pickup point maybe? I'm not sure if you'll be able to use it straight away on a separate order though...

Parcel motel
    Try buying the card separately and getting it delivered to a pickup point maybe? I'm not sure if you'll be able to use it straight away on a separate order though...
    I just tried Parcel Motel there and now it lets you order the card and have it delivered to that address but now it says it cant deliver the Galaxy Tab itself to that address! I dont think its going to happen :(

I just tried Parcel Motel there and now it lets you order the card and have it delivered to that address but now it says it cant deliver the Galaxy Tab itself to that address! I dont think its going to happen :(

What's the address you're trying to deliver it to? You can use mine if you like :P

Parcel Motels standard address:

Your name
    Your PMID
    Parcel Motel
    1A McKinney Road
    Newtownabbey
    Co Antrim
    BT36 4PE

I can order a card to that address no problem but it wont explain why no tablet, it just says:

The item (s) (s) as (s) can not be shipped (s) at pre-selected:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 "32GB - White

Please select a new address or information.

What address do you use for them to deliver here?

• Advertisement

Unbelievable, I can send the tablet to Ireland and the card to the UK but I cant do both!

:mad:

I might have to Work at 9:30 (tonight)

If i do, This'll be a fecking disaster for me. I'm going to have to try figure something out..

SH*T. :(

Allyall wrote: »
    :mad:

I might have to Work at 9:30 (tonight)

If i do, This'll be a fecking disaster for me. I'm going to have to try figure something out..

SH*T. :(
    How are ye getting them sent to Ireland though? Ive tried it 10 different ways and nothing!

How are ye getting them sent to Ireland though? Ive tried it 10 different ways and nothing!

I was going to use (Still hoping to) the express shipping, for €15.

I have to run now, i'll try and get online in work.

You may get more information in this thread

page 6 i thik theyare talking about shipping, i don't have time to read through it all...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056379960

They also have

Fnac.pt and Fnac.es may be worth checking if the offer is available on those using the same link, changing the country.

They ship worldwide as far as i know..

Realy late now.

Good luck, hope you get it.

Thanks Allyall but there is no way that I can see to change the shipping, can anyone else see it?

Thanks Allyall but there is no way that I can see to change the shipping, can anyone else see it?
    Whereabouts do you live, roughly?

• Advertisement

I split my time between Galway and Dublin and I treied both as well as the UK Parcelmotel address but would that make a difference? It seems to be an Ireland vs UK thing...

BTW Ireland seems to be €13-15 express shipping as default when you add something to your cart anyway so I think Ill just give up and keep an eye on Bargain alerts and the January sales, thanks.

For info, it accepts the code today but doesn't offer the membership reduction if you order the card now. So the actual price is 319.90 with a possible 50 euro cashback from Samsung. It's selling for 329 elsewhere so this deal is basically rubbish.

Advertisement