Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I really fudged up :( (data loss)

Options
  • 10-12-2012 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I just did the stupidist thing ever. I had vista on my computer and went and bought Windows 8 to see what all the fuss is about. I never wiped a computer before but with the help of some youtube videos I thought I would have a good stab at it.

So I backed up all my data to my external HD. Then wiped my computer and installed windows 8. Everything seemed to go OK and by the looks of things I successfully wiped a computer and installed a new operating system :):)

I was just about to transfer my data back over when my sister asked could she have the HD for 5 minutes to transer some photographs from the home PC to her laptop. I gave it to her. Halfway way through the transfer she accidentally pulled the USB cable out of the machine.

Now when you plug in the HD it just keeps giving an error message saying that the data has been corrupted and to try formatting the drive :O

That was my backup drive. If anything happened my computer all my files would be safely stored on that drive. Now it looks like they are all lost. I cant believe my luck. FML. All my college work, college assignments (which Im going to have to redo), all my photos of my family, and all my work from over the years. My bookmarks. My login details for all the websites I frequent. Literally everything is gone. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I cant understand how such a seemingly small act would corrupt over 200gig of data.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

AdamOHare wrote: »
    I just did the stupidist thing ever. I had vista on my computer and went and bought Windows 8 to see what all the fuss is about. I never wiped a computer before but with the help of some youtube videos I thought I would have a good stab at it.

So I backed up all my data to my external HD. Then wiped my computer and installed windows 8. Everything seemed to go OK and by the looks of things I successfully wiped a computer and installed a new operating system :):)

I was just about to transfer my data back over when my sister asked could she have the HD for 5 minutes to transer some photographs from the home PC to her laptop. I gave it to her. Halfway way through the transfer she accidentally pulled the USB cable out of the machine.

Now when you plug in the HD it just keeps giving an error message saying that the data has been corrupted and to try formatting the drive :O

That was my backup drive. If anything happened my computer all my files would be safely stored on that drive. Now it looks like they are all lost. I cant believe my luck. FML. All my college work, college assignments (which Im going to have to redo), all my photos of my family, and all my work from over the years. My bookmarks. My login details for all the websites I frequent. Literally everything is gone. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I cant understand how such a seemingly small act would corrupt over 200gig of data.

sorry to hear that mate... sister's eh?

try run chkdsk on the drive to see if it can repair it

http://windows8themes.org/how-to-run-chkdsk-in-windows-8.html

that link should show you how to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Try GetDataBack (http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm) - It has saved me on many occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

See
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

photorec does photo recovery .
    ALSO try a linux lived eg mint 10 ,fits on 1cdr,
    boots from cd,can see any windows format hd drive.
    http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=67
    I thought my hardrive external argosy 300 gig was damaged ,turns out it works ok,
    on another HP desktop pc, my pc sees files,

cant delete any file on the drive.

can you try it on a laptop or netcafe pc?
    eg i think theres a problem with my pc,or windows install,
    pc2 it works fine,writes,deletes any file.
    or just try a a livecd ubuntu or mint.
    pc2 is win7 pro, hp desktop 1 year old
    pc1 is win7 netbook.vaio,2 years old.

When she plugged out hd cable,it could have caused a problem on her pc .whatever pc she,s using when it happened.

eg my argosy hd drive is fine, theres a problem with my viao,

since i have 2 pcs ,i just reinstall windows 7
    in maybe 6months.
    My other 4 other external hds work ok, on the viaio.

if it works ,buy another drive ,copy everything to new drive.

All drives are designed to work for a few years ,if data is important,
    it should be backed up in 3 separate devices at least.

IF using above programs,read the faq, manual, take it really slow.

http://www.pcinspector.de/SmartRecovery/instructions.htm?po=2&language=1

this is a good program, only works on windows xp, or 9.x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Consider making a low level copy before trying to recover data. You may need it if something goes wrong with the recovery process.

More here

Advertisement