Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question; disabled parking spaces & regulation

Options
  • 10-12-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi guys, I hope this post is in the right place - the motoring section didn't have anything that fitted at all. :o
    Today I was in my local supermarket. The space beside mine was a disability access space, and I noticed there was no blue badge displayed on the car occupying the space. I waited but did not see the driver return - however I *think* the car belongs to somebody I know who is not disabled or has no disabled family members. I understand, of course, that I may not know if somebody has a particular disability and I have no notion of what is required for one of the special permits.
    I was wondering, though, if it is illegal to park in the special places, and who regulates this? I have the number plate, should I report them? I may well be very mistaken, but surely you're required to display your permit in any case? :confused:
    If they're entitled surely they shouldn't have a problem producing their blue badge to whoever followed it up. I just wouldn't want to call the Gardaí and put anyone out/cause unnecessary hassle because it is a relatively harmless (albeit thoughtless) thing to do. It would be terrible especially if they are genuinely entitled but I think there are too many people taking the p*ss. :pac: I just hate to see lazy people taking advantage of easy access parking (like the mother & baby spots too). I hate to think that someone in sincere, genuine need of that space would have to go without. :(
    Any advice would be good. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Was this in a private car park?

Used to be that the ordinary rules could not be applied to such car parks ...... no idea if that has changed for car parks attached to businesses such as supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

da_shivsta wrote: »
    Hi guys, I hope this post is in the right place - the motoring section didn't have anything that fitted at all. :o
    Today I was in my local supermarket. The space beside mine was a disability access space, and I noticed there was no blue badge displayed on the car occupying the space. I waited but did not see the driver return - however I *think* the car belongs to somebody I know who is not disabled or has no disabled family members. I understand, of course, that I may not know if somebody has a particular disability and I have no notion of what is required for one of the special permits.
    I was wondering, though, if it is illegal to park in the special places, and who regulates this? I have the number plate, should I report them? I may well be very mistaken, but surely you're required to display your permit in any case? :confused:
    If they're entitled surely they shouldn't have a problem producing their blue badge to whoever followed it up. I just wouldn't want to call the Gardaí and put anyone out/cause unnecessary hassle because it is a relatively harmless (albeit thoughtless) thing to do. It would be terrible especially if they are genuinely entitled but I think there are too many people taking the p*ss. :pac: I just hate to see lazy people taking advantage of easy access parking (like the mother & baby spots too). I hate to think that someone in sincere, genuine need of that space would have to go without. :(
    Any advice would be good. Thanks!

Being a disabled driver myself, this is my number one pet hate!!!! Best thing to do is bite your tongue and say nothing.

I said something to someone a few years back(I actually showed them my badge through the windscreen), but I only got a two-fingered salute back.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'd speak to the manager of the supermarket, if it was their car park. They probably won't do anything, but it's the most relevant option I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

If it's a private car park, they make their own rules. Most of them don't bother to do anything. Some will clamp or sticker them. Best thing you can do is to go to the security guy or customer service desk and kick up a bit of a fuss.

On-street disabled parking is covered by law. The mad judge in Mayo has banned at least one driver for abusing these parking spaces. In Dublin, you can call the clampers out.

RainyDay wrote: »
    If it's a private car park, they make their own rules. Most of them don't bother to do anything. Some will clamp or sticker them. Best thing you can do is to go to the security guy or customer service desk and kick up a bit of a fuss.

On-street disabled parking is covered by law. The mad judge in Mayo has banned at least one driver for abusing these parking spaces. In Dublin, you can call the clampers out.

Can you?? This may be a useful tool in the future!!!

*adopts evil laugh*

• Advertisement

Here's the number; http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/Parking/Clamping/Pages/Clamping.aspx

I have them on speed-dial! I don't usually hang around to see the results, mind you.

Here's the number; http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/Parking/Clamping/Pages/Clamping.aspx

I have them on speed-dial! I don't usually hang around to see the results, mind you.

Is it the 222 number or the 1800 number? :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Drives me nuts too. We have a cohort of militant grannies who deem it their right,though they don't have badges,to park in these spaces at our local supermarket. Had one tell me, that a young wan like me had no need of the space.(I have MS.)Once or twice I have been known to double park behind repeat offenders who will "only be a minute."I reply cheerfully that I'll only be a minute do and then do what I need to do, at my leisure....;)

Is it the 222 number or the 1800 number? :confused:

Call Dublin Street Parking Services: (01) 602 2500

Call Dublin Street Parking Services: (01) 602 2500

Thanks for that. What about if it happens in a shopping centre carpark?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Honestly this is one thing that boils my blood.
    So it was with great amusement that I watched the lazy f#%ker in his 4x4 park in a disabled place in the McDonalds car park on the Naas Rd, beside Toyota, only to be clamped 5 mins later. It was the first time I applauded a clampers actions.
    It should be the norm for all disabled parking spaces.

Thanks for that. What about if it happens in a shopping centre carpark?
    Down to local management.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Honestly this is one thing that boils my blood.
    So it was with great amusement that I watched the lazy f#%ker in his 4x4 park in a disabled place in the McDonalds car park on the Naas Rd, beside Toyota, only to be clamped 5 mins later. It was the first time I applauded a clampers actions.
    It should be the norm for all disabled parking spaces.

They either don't want to bother their a***s checking/or it's not properly policed........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

They either don't want to bother their a***s checking/or it's not properly policed........

At the end of the day I feel it comes down to manners, consideration and goodwill from people who not to park in disabled bays, all of which would appear to be absent from those who do park in them regardless of the risk of penalty.
    I have seen young and old do it, including a motorbike. The bays are clearly marked, but there are some people out there who just dont give a sh!t about others.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    At the end of the day I feel it comes down to manners, consideration and goodwill from people who not to park in disabled bays, all of which would appear to be absent from those who do park in them regardless of the risk of penalty.
    I have seen young and old do it, including a motorbike. The bays are clearly marked, but there are some people out there who just dont give a sh!t about others.

Tis the old "f**k you, I'm alright Jack" attitude.

Advertisement