Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrybank Shopping Centre - The Poll

Options
  • 10-12-2012 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Hope this is ok Mods..

I just want to get an idea of what the people of the forum would actually like to see happen to "Ferrybank".

What would you like to see happen to "Ferrybank - The Monstrosity" 149 votes

Knock it to the ground and forget it ever existed.
    0%
    Open it up with a number of high profile retail units.
    28%
    AdMMMBardscurly.bertmaquiladoraBBM77jonnyfingersstrangepaddyjohnnykilowitless1Neworder79iseegirlsAmzienicolaedold greggSpinsEthan EdwardsMinisterfreewheelerDeiseXwellboy76 42 votes
    Open it, but not as retail, something else entirely (specify if possible)
    71%
    StokolanCabaalGadgieTeRmInAlCrAzYAquos76DempseyBuffyBotJamboBadCharlieCelt1lassykklilmissprincesstrishw78TimePaddy@CIRLBaby4Hifivemailrewopeddiem10DonFred 107 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Should never have received planning in the first place. Parochial planning at its worst. However, I would not knock it. I would use it as a conference venue, to benefit the entire region.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

community centre, gym, enterprise incubator, indoor go kart track

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

One of the reasons Waterford lost out to Dundalk for 1000 paypal jobs is that allegedly there was nowhere in waterford that could house that many callcentre jobs. If that centre was converted to offices it could easily take that many, also it would have easy access to people from KK, Tipp and Wexford to travel there to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

A call center would make sence, its got the parking.

Could we make it a car park for the church?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    A call center would make sence, its got the parking.

Could we make it a car park for the church?

Please tell me you're joking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Ethan Edwards

It should never open it will kill Waterford City Center. It should never ever have got planning permission it only got the go ahead because of the thousands of houses that were meant to be built up there, that wont be built now for years and years if ever. Knock it the ground and Jurys too.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

I would love to hear the reasons why people would vote in favour of this facility being opened as a retail space. It is clear that it was a mistake and a breach in the planning guidelines. If you take the possibility of jobs out of the equation (as they could be facilitated in the city centre), why open this as a retail space??

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

It comes across as extremely protectionist to exclaim that a shopping centre will kill Waterford cc , is that the way to attract people just by making sure they can go nowhere else , sounds crazy , surely people should be enticed with value , variety and convenience not trapped and herded like animals into nets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

We could turn it into a venue for the eurovision song contest, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

I totally agree that it is not suitable and not necessary as a shopping centre. The City Council planners weren't wrong when they objected against the original proposal by Kilkenny Co. Co.

However now that it is built it would seem a shame to tear it down when it could be used for something else. How about an auxiliary College to the WIT - perhaps they need another building for an expanding department.

Perhaps it could be used by one or more manufacturing industries. Building like this are often used to house factories in Hong Kong. It could also act as a splendid showroom for the product of the factory or factories.

Maybe that concept might put extra pressure on the IDA to find us a new badly needed industry. Would it be any use to Glanbia for their new plant? They did want to be in South Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Would it be in any way suitable for WIT to take some office space / Lucture facilities in there? Should be cheaper than building from scratch in Carriganore?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Nuke it?

Yes Boss wrote: »
    I would love to hear the reasons why people would vote in favour of this facility being opened as a retail space. It is clear that it was a mistake and a breach in the planning guidelines. If you take the possibility of jobs out of the equation (as they could be facilitated in the city centre), why open this as a retail space??

The main reason would be rates. In fact, the primary reason of why our economy is in the doldrums is because of that. Politicians from all hues rezoning land and then rubbing their hands in glee with all the money coming in. Thinking what pet projects they could spend it on to curry more favour from the populace and get voted back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

People should realise this building Is shell and core only, nothing in there at all. So if Dunnes or anyone else want to open your looking at an outlay of say one hundred and fifty euro a square foot for any half decent fit out.
    Any perspective tenant who's is looking to shell out that kinda cash in a shaky location like that should look for five years free rent minimum.
    The cost of keeping it closed and secure is north of half a mill a year,as it is.this is only going one way,unless a Google or the like can be found and they refuseed Cork, Dublin only they said.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    People should realise this building Is shell and core only, nothing in there at all. So if Dunnes or anyone else want to open your looking at an outlay of say one hundred and fifty euro a square foot for any half decent fit out.
    Any perspective tenant who's is looking to shell out that kinda cash in a shaky location like that should look for five years free rent minimum.
    The cost of keeping it closed and secure is north of half a mill a year,as it is.this is only going one way,unless a Google or the like can be found and they refuseed Cork, Dublin only they said.

And that's exactly why it should be sold off. Maybe some charities, communtiy groups etc can make a go of it.

Bare in mind that it will fall to the wayside because of the elements and vandalism.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    And that's exactly why it should be sold off. Maybe some charities, communtiy groups etc can make a go of it.

Bare in mind that it will fall to the wayside because of the elements and vandalism.

Finbar01 beginning to get suspicious you have a bundle of cash your sitting on and want a bargain! your in such a hurry to see it sold!!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

Knock it. It hasn't got a viable future as a retail centre and highly unlikely that a multinational would find it attractive.

At some point we (as in Ireland) are going to have to grasp the nettle and demolish certain developments. This would be a good place to start. It looks rotten too - starting to get very shabby already.

When the bulldozers are finished with the shopping centre, they can head to the old Jury's site ...

Starting to get shabby already? Some evidence of that please?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Ferrybank & surrounding area does need and deserve some extra shops -every other suburb of Waterford has some. But it is too big, should have been built to suit suburban needs not city centre killer. So I suggest mix of local shops, take aways, bookies etc. with rest offered for office space, call ctr. or whatever.
    Oh and apply for boundary extension so it's inside city limits. Kilkenny Co.Co.'s hooky planning decision should diqualify them from deriving any financial gain from this.

Can we ban people from saying it shouldn't have been built? Everyone knows this already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Can we ban people from saying it shouldn't have been built? Everyone knows this already.
    Dicky, if that's aimed at me, I didn't say it should't have been built; just adding my tupence worth on how to make a silk purse out of a Sow's ear!

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Finbar01 beginning to get suspicious you have a bundle of cash your sitting on and want a bargain! your in such a hurry to see it sold!!

Oh I wish.

Seriously though, what else can be done with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Because I have no car, I live in Ferrybank, so it'd be nice to have somewhere closer by :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The voters who want it demolished should really think again.

You never know but a multi-national / large Irish company may need this type of building yet.

While it is there , it could bring jobs to Waterford .

Get over the fact that it is in Co Kilkenny , because it is in the Waterford metropolitan area .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

The voters who want it demolished should really think again.

You never know but a multi-national / large Irish company may need this type of building yet.

While it is there , it could bring jobs to Waterford .

Get over the fact that it is in Co Kilkenny , because it is in the Waterford metropolitan area .

It is a Shopping Centre Not an advanced office block. Would probably be cheaper to knock and build a brand new Highly specced office block than it would be to renovate the existing Shopping Centre.

Even better would be to knock this and develop the HALLS site on Dock Road.

For as long as it remains it posses a threat to the future vibility of Waterford City Centre.

What developer in their right mind will now develop a brand New Shopping Centre in the Heart of Waterford City while this White Elephant is still in Situ.

Well it's a Kilkenny building so why should they care about Waterford city centre. Just saying.

Why should they knock it to protect some other city?

This is not my opinion now...but what's the point in talking about knocking it when it's NEVER going to happen.

Well it's a Kilkenny building so why should they care about Waterford city centre. Just saying.

Why should they knock it to protect some other city?

This is not my opinion now...but what's the point in talking about knocking it when it's NEVER going to happen.

Dicky you are all over the place with your comments, you say it's a "Killkenny" building and why should they care about Waterford City?
    That is the whole nux of the discussion that is going on here for years now, this was looked at in a micro climate from start to finish without looking at the big picture, hence stupid mistakes / grabs were made.
    Despite your protestations "it will not be Knocked" unless a use can be found for it , the ultimate and cheapest solution will be to take it down, unpalateble to you though it may be.
    There is NO requirement for that amount of retail square footage in the South east never mind Waterford City,in an area that has little if any footfall.
    Remember the three most important Auctioneers rules about retail,
    1 Location
    2 Location
    3 Location

So to finish whether we like it or not a beautifull building was built in the wrong place that was too big for location, solution find an alternative use or make it smaller.
    I can see no other way.

Excuse me, how am I all over the place with my comments? You made that statement and then said nothing to back it up.

Everything I have said is factually correct so please refrain from saying nonsense like "you are all over the place with your comments".

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

Look at the outside of it, from the main road. The plants and weeds are starting to overgrow. Looks rotten.

Also, I don't like the way it towers over the graveyard and church. Seems completely out of place to me. Horrible building with no future.

No multinational will ever go in there. It was built for retail not office space. There is a difference. Let us all be rid of it.

• Advertisement

Excuse me, how am I all over the place with my comments? You made that statement and then said nothing to back it up.

Everything I have said is factually correct so please refrain from saying nonsense like "you are all over the place with your comments".
    You ask people their opinion on what they would like to happen to the building but you only want to hear your answer,as in stating as a fact it will not be knocked down,how do you know this for a fact?
    I apologise if I insulted you.
    Will you now answer or refute the rest of my post?

Advertisement