Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrybank Shopping Centre - The Poll

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Open it, but not as retail, something else entirely (specify if possible)
    Are you for real? I created a poll to see what te general consensus was. Have I shot down anyone else's opinion? Show me an example of where I'm acting like I "only want to hear your answer".

I'm just giving my opinion, that's all I can do. Everyone is entitled to that much at least. If you think it should be knocked down, I believe that would be madness, but you're entitled to believe it.

We all agree that it should never have been built but I would stake my life on it never being knocked down. If, when all is said and done and something nonsensical goes in there then maybe knocking it down would have been the better option but seriously...the stubborn people who gave the go ahead for into be built...do you really believe they would knock it? Or Nama...or whatever banks have their fingers in it at this stage.

I'm a waterfordian but I don't go in for all this scaremongering about competition. I would be delighted to see a major chain go into Ferrybank and I think it would actually be one of the Tescos that would suffer rather than the shops in town because let's face it, that's where people are shopping these days.

While we're talking about ridiculous planning decisions lets talk about tesco ballybeg...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Tesco Ballybeg ... handy to get to, handy to get parking, never any queues at the tills and a petrol station

What more could you ask for??

Lol I'm not sure no queues is quite what they had planned there. Surplus to requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Are you for real? I created a poll to see what te general consensus was. Have I shot down anyone else's opinion? Show me an example of where I'm acting like I "only want to hear your answer".

I'm just giving my opinion, that's all I can do. Everyone is entitled to that much at least. If you think it should be knocked down, I believe that would be madness, but you're entitled to believe it.

We all agree that it should never have been built but I would stake my life on it never being knocked down. If, when all is said and done and something nonsensical goes in there then maybe knocking it down would have been the better option but seriously...the stubborn people who gave the go ahead for into be built...do you really believe they would knock it? Or Nama...or whatever banks have their fingers in it at this stage.

I'm a waterfordian but I don't go in for all this scaremongering about competition. I would be delighted to see a major chain go into Ferrybank and I think it would actually be one of the Tescos that would suffer rather than the shops in town because let's face it, that's where people are shopping these days.

While we're talking about ridiculous planning decisions lets talk about tesco ballybeg...

Celtworld

Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Lol I'm not sure no queues is quite what they had planned there. Surplus to requirements.

I'm not (and don't think anyone is) concerned whether tesco are making a profit though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Oh I wish.

Seriously though, what else can be done with it?

Paintball or laser tag venue?

j/k btw ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

I think Dunnes Store's decision to pay 21 million in compensation rather than open a store in Ferrybank should put this question to bed. They would rather throw 21 million down a hole before opening a shop in this white elephant.

Wellboytoo, I find it interesting that you're thanking all the posts that relate to Tesco Ballybeg. Waterford has Tescos coming out of its ears and you seem to be suggesting that it's a good thing that they're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Yes Boss wrote: »
    I think Dunnes Store's decision to pay 21 million in compensation rather than open a store in Ferrybank should put this question to bed. They would rather throw 21 million down a hole before opening a shop in this white elephant.

Did they not have to pay it anyway, regardless of whether or not they opened a store there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Gadgie wrote: »

Did they not have to pay it anyway, regardless of whether or not they opened a store there?

I thought I heard that the 21m was for building work carried out to accommodate Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Never been in this development but it is disgusting that Dunnes would not pay their dept. The company in question went into receivership. Wonder why they did not claim for costs. Guess it is a mute point anyways seems as it belongs to NAMA now and not the original developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Open it up with a number of high profile retail units.
    What puzzles me is how a developer could take a project like this on.
    Did everyone involved have blinkers on when they started planning this.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Starting to get shabby already? Some evidence of that please?

One of the big windows overlooking the graveyard was smashed and there's been a fire in the building a few weeks ago. I know they have to keep the railings around it to prevent vandalism but it looks terrible and as someone said all the green areas are overgrown.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I didnt realise a window had been smashed. They cleared most of hte weeds and small rubbish that was around it a few weeks ago, but the railings are still there.

I saw a mock up a few years ago of a 'town center' bigger than Ardkeen centered around Mullinabro, I'd love to see it again. I think it was issued by the people selling one of the housing estates by the golf links.

The projected population rates were rabbit like!

Wellboytoo, I find it interesting that you're thanking all the posts that relate to Tesco Ballybeg. Waterford has Tescos coming out of its ears and you seem to be suggesting that it's a good thing that they're there.

No it's just that I don't care if Tesco's profits are being hurt and I happen to live close to their Ballybeg store and find it handy that it is always quite to buy fuel there!
    simples

Interesting. So if you lived across the road from Ferrybank shopping centre you might think differently?

Interesting. So if you lived across the road from Ferrybank shopping centre you might think differently?

I live accross from it, how should I think?
    :)

Only if they sold Diesel, come on now Dicky your playing with words, I have said my piece on the shopping centre here and to the KK planning department at planning stage and ye both have something in common ye don't listen.:-):D

I do listen, I just wanted to make sure you were consistent ;)

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I live accross from it, how should I think?
    :)

Think however you like boy :confused:

I do listen, I just wanted to make sure you were consistent ;)
    Did I pass?

No lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I didnt realise a window had been smashed. They cleared most of hte weeds and small rubbish that was around it a few weeks ago, but the railings are still there.

I saw a mock up a few years ago of a 'town center' bigger than Ardkeen centered around Mullinabro, I'd love to see it again. I think it was issued by the people selling one of the housing estates by the golf links.

The projected population rates were rabbit like!

Wmpdd, so much planning permission and rezoning was carrried out through the bubble period, that the population of Ireland would have had to increase by a good few million.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Wmpdd, so much planning permission and rezoning was carrried out through the bubble period, that the population of Ireland would have had to increase by a good few million.

The corruption trial of that Dungarven fellow which was only discovered due to fluke circumstances would tell us that we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg when it comes to corrupt planning.

picture.php?albumid=2263&pictureid=14658

picture.php?albumid=2263&pictureid=14657

picture.php?albumid=2263&pictureid=14656

picture.php?albumid=2263&pictureid=14655

Surely they could have a farmers market there or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

curly.bert wrote: »
    Look at the outside of it, from the main road. The plants and weeds are starting to overgrow. Looks rotten.

Also, I don't like the way it towers over the graveyard and church. Seems completely out of place to me. Horrible building with no future.

No multinational will ever go in there. It was built for retail not office space. There is a difference. Let us all be rid of it.

In all honesty, I go past this building almost every day and apart from the railings (which are there for obvious reasons) the building looks really really well!
    It's much nicer than many building built in the boom for retail or any purpose.
    In fairness, compare it to somewhere like the location of cost plus and buylo...

The did some job on it before the library was opened by Phil Hogan.

I do love it but I think it should have been built 20 mts further back from the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

I do love it but I think it should have been built 20 mts further back from the road.

I don't think it was ever possible to have it any further back .. As it is, it's towering over Ferrybank FC

• Advertisement

Mopre like 2000 metres nearer Waterford

Advertisement