Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrybank Shopping Centre - The Poll

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Open it, but not as retail, something else entirely (specify if possible)
    Well it's a glaring example of a KK county council cluster****.. It only got through the planning process because the county council manipulated the Local Area Plan. If the thing was viable it would be open and all the bitching in the world would not stop it. The fact that its not tells its own story.

yeah and Waterford city council would never do anything odd, just for rates, say like give a US company permission to bulldoze of a ring fort...or anything like that.... noooooo

they are all as bad as the other...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

robtri wrote: »
    yeah and Waterford city council would never do anything odd, just for rates, say like give a US company permission to bulldoze of a ring fort...or anything like that.... noooooo

Does your Mammy know you're on the Internet?

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Does your Mammy know you're on the Internet?

no but your ma does :)

its not my fault you can't see how both KK and waterford cc are just as bad as each other...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

That is frankly an idiotoc statement as the two issues are completely different. Not to mention being totally low. Firstly Waterford City doesn't control policy with regard to national monuments and has numerous other parties involved such as the government and IDA.The suggestion that it is driven by rates is totally ludicrous when you consider how bad the city and region was hit with industrial closures. Secondly the US comany your talking about will be a regional employer that will benefit Ferrybank as much as Waterford. Unlike the Ferrybank SC which is an entity designed to be totally parasitic in nature.

no but your ma does :)

its not my fault you can't see how both KK and waterford cc are just as bad as each other...

Not reallyas their is no empty big box stores in Waterford CC area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

The Ferrybank shopping centre is a sad story really. It was a case of one local authority trying to decimate another's retail base in one swoop. There was no economic, planning, environmental or social basis to a regional-scale supermarket development at that location. Simple as that. It should be used as 'Exhibit A' in any debate regarding the need for an urban boundary extension, as it proves absolutely that KK County Council are not fit to administer, govern or plan the environs of Waterford City in a mature or responsible way.

mire wrote: »
    The Ferrybank shopping centre is a sad story really. It was a case of one local authority trying to decimate another's retail base in one swoop. There was no economic, planning, environmental or social basis to a regional-scale supermarket development at that location. Simple as that. It should be used as 'Exhibit A' in any debate regarding the need for an urban boundary extension, as it proves absolutely that KK County Council are not fit to administer, govern or plan the environs of Waterford City in a mature or responsible way.

+10000000000000000

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

I see John Paul Phelan decided to speak up on this today. I wonder is this because of the imminent general election? The shopping centre and himself have one thing in common, they're both a waste of space.

Not reallyas their is no empty big box stores in Waterford CC area.

so the only issue u have then is the shopping centre????
    nothing else cause thats all u can come up with..

What about the Ard Ri a shambles for years before Waterford CC did anything, what about the north Quays, again no action and the latest attempts to remove is a joke, B&Q still empty? the TK maxx disaster ....
    hows the approval for the massive shopping centre in centre going...
    was't that approved??? but just at last min developer recognised it was not a good idea at the time, but it was approved by Wateford CC if it was built it would have been another disaster...

Both area's are just after the money... and i still stand by Waterford cc are just as bad as KK ....

btri;97930100"]so the only issue u have then is the shopping centre????

What about the Ard Ri a shambles for years before Waterford CC did anything, what about the north Quays, again no action and the latest attempts to remove is a joke, B&Q still empty? the TK maxx disaster ....
    was't that approved??? but just at last min developer recognised it was not a good idea at the time, but it was approved by Wateford CC if it was built it would have been another disaster...

Both area's are just after the money... and i still stand by Waterford cc are just as bad as KK ....[/quote]

The Ardri site is belonging to Nama WCC forced the issue with a derelict site enforcement and had it clad to stop further vandalism and give some astehic appeal,the north Quays belong to Nama in the most part ditto as above. b and Q and the TK Maxx debacle as you bring it up has huge similarities with the Ferrybank issue as it was also a crass grab at rates by Waterford County Council that gave planning it should never have given! Sound familiar? The solution to this happening again was the merging of the two bodies! How about them apples?
    The brewery centre developer is bust as every other developer and in Nama and could not get finance to build it,as there was a mofo of a recession or did you not hear?
    Waterford city council since the coming of Michael Walsh have been leading the rebirth of Waterford like no one else has,ever,in my lifetime I have never seen such pro activeness from a council anywhere!
    Yes they have made cock ups and mistakes but omellette and eggs, so to close I disagree with you entirely and stop expecting Councils to fix everything around you that is totally outside their remit.

• Advertisement

That is frankly an idiotoc statement as the two issues are completely different. Not to mention being totally low. Firstly Waterford City doesn't control policy with regard to national monuments and has numerous other parties involved such as the government and IDA.The suggestion that it is driven by rates is totally ludicrous when you consider how bad the city and region was hit with industrial closures. Secondly the US comany your talking about will be a regional employer that will benefit Ferrybank as much as Waterford. Unlike the Ferrybank SC which is an entity designed to be totally parasitic in nature.

of course it idiotic, cause it doesn't agree with your thought process,
    Planning has nothing to do with the IDA, and planning ahs everythign to do with this.... so frankly its ur statement that idiotic...

yawn ywan.. yes we all know ur opinion on the centre... but lets deal with facts

wellboytoo wrote: »
    btri;97930100"]so the only issue u have then is the shopping centre????

Both area's are just after the money... and i still stand by Waterford cc are just as bad as KK ....

The Ardri site is belonging to Nama WCC forced the issue with a derelict site enforcement and had it clad to stop further vandalism and give some astehic appeal,the north Quays belong to Nama in the most part ditto as above. b and Q and the TK Maxx debacle as you bring it up has huge similarities with the Ferrybank issue as it was also a crass grab at rates by Waterford County Council that gave planning it should never have given! Sound familiar? The solution to this happening again was the merging of the two bodies! How about them apples?
    The brewery centre developer is bust as every other developer and in Nama and could not get finance to build it,as there was a mofo of a recession or did you not hear?
    Waterford city council since the coming of Michael Walsh have been leading the rebirth of Waterford like no one else has,ever,in my lifetime I have never seen such pro activeness from a council anywhere!
    Yes they have made cock ups and mistakes but omellette and eggs, so to close I disagree with you entirely and stop expecting Councils to fix everything around you that is totally outside their remit.[/QUOTE]

when did i say i expect the councils to fix everything???

i havent so please stop putting words in my mouth.

It was a post to try to show that waterford are just as money grabbing, make mistakes like KK did...

Waterford city council since the coming of

when did i say i expect the councils to fix everything???

i havent so please stop putting words in my mouth.

It was a post to try to show that waterford are just as money grabbing, make mistakes like KK did...

Read your post again, you are citing issues outside of Waterford CC control and blaming them for them. You are not making any such allegations about KK cc but are then saying they are the same?when you constantly bleat about W CC mistakes that is blame.
    None I repeat none of your many posts show where either council is grabbing money from where or whom,frankly you are just testiculating and I am wasting my time arguing with some one who hasn't a clue,good night I am out of here.

of course it idiotic, cause it doesn't agree with your thought process,
    Planning has nothing to do with the IDA, and planning ahs everythign to do with this.... so frankly its ur statement that idiotic...

yawn ywan.. yes we all know ur opinion on the centre... but lets deal with facts

Learn to read. I never said the IDA had anything to do with planning. You have proven you have no clue as to how either the local authorities or the state agencies work as well as being semi-literate. The ring fort was archaeologically assessed and while this may not have been to everyones liking it was done within the planning guidelines. And it does not indicate bad planning. The hallmark of bad planning is giving planning permission to something that will have an adverse affect on the society and the environment like 70's style shopping centers on the outskirts of town.

so the only issue u have then is the shopping centre????

There is about 4.5k people living in the area. Yet KK CC gave permission for something nearly as big as Mahon Point SC. We're talking about a couple of neighborhoods that are a suburb of Waterford. What do you need before you can recognize incompetence? A Dubai type resort lying empty out in Glenmore? If there was you'd still be here defending it.

The developer for Newgate went bust. What has this got with Waterford CC.?Likewise the owners of the North Quays. B&Q doesn't support your arguement as it was granted permission by a separate local authority. TK Maxx was forced in to the city center by Waterford City Council and is now doing swimmingly.This is what happens when planning is done properly. A new business is opened up where the TK Maxx was originally located. What utter nonsense you spout. There is no equivalent planning disaster in Waterford as the Ferrybank SC. Its incompetence on a grand scale that needs a library funded by a gombeen politician to keep it on life support. Meanwhile who is paying the maintenance bills for this monstrosity that was built under the pretense of being a neighbourhood centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Advertisement