Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel flap problem with Golf mk5

Options
  • 10-12-2012 9:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi guys, possibly the biggest problem yet with the car, roll up to the petrol pump the other day to fill the tank, then realize the flap wont open and have barely any fuel! Had to head straight home to be sure I could get home!

The switches in the driver door (windows and fuel release) dont light up, seems the power wire going to that door might be damaged. I was told by my friend who owns a garage there is a manual release in the boot behind the flap but hilariously there isn't, in fact it says in the manual it cannot be opened manually and to seek professional advice! There is a large metal sheet covering over that area of the car preventing me from getting anywhere near behind the fuel flap.

Does anyone know how to get this sorted?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

1. Open your boot

2. Remove your parcel shelf

3. Pull away the side carpeting

3. You need to remove the right hand side trim (the bit the parcel shelf locks in to). There is one screw under the boot seal (you have to pull off the bottom seal and trim to get to it). There is also a plastic pop catch which you can loosen with a screwdriver (it's kinda behind the light, you have to crouch down and look up behind it to see it - it's white).

4. Slide a screwdriver (or trim removal tool) all the way round the trim and pull it reasonably hard. With a bit of patience it does all come out but it takes a bit of guts.

5. In the metal shell of the car there are 2 holes cut out, through which you should be able to see a metal rod with a white plastic bit at the top - that's what you're after.

6. You need to push the white bit upwards. It's very tricky to get to and you'll need small hands to reach it. Pull that up and the flap should open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭malin182

Thanks,

I went to have a look and removed most of the trim but couldn't get it fully off. Also I could see a very large area of the shell of the car and there was no sign of any holes apart from a black square which was possibly made of fibre glass incorporated in the metal shell but was a lot further down compared to the fuel flap. Have one of my mates coming out to look at it tomorrow.

Ok I found what I need to get to, I can see the screw I need to remove after removing the lower boot seal and trim, and the white plastic pop catch. I am wondering 2 things:

1. Is there just one screw to remove? It mentions 3 t-25 screws on some websites and if so where is it located? I cant make out on these photos: http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160359
    2. Which way do you loosen the pop catch?

I need to go and buy some tools tomorrow, might as well have them as I would say they will come in handy later on. Where is somewhere decent in Dublin city centre to buy whats needed? (Multi head screwdrivers, trim removal tool etc)

Moanin wrote: »
    1. Open your boot

2. Remove your parcel shelf

3. Pull away the side carpeting

3. You need to remove the right hand side trim (the bit the parcel shelf locks in to). There is one screw under the boot seal (you have to pull off the bottom seal and trim to get to it). There is also a plastic pop catch which you can loosen with a screwdriver (it's kinda behind the light, you have to crouch down and look up behind it to see it - it's white).

4. Slide a screwdriver (or trim removal tool) all the way round the trim and pull it reasonably hard. With a bit of patience it does all come out but it takes a bit of guts.

5. In the metal shell of the car there are 2 holes cut out, through which you should be able to see a metal rod with a white plastic bit at the top - that's what you're after.

6. You need to push the white bit upwards. It's very tricky to get to and you'll need small hands to reach it. Pull that up and the flap should open.

Great got it sorted, thanks for the help Moanin. For anyone else with this problem, there are a further 2 t-25 screws. They are located under a pop out piece of trim the rear seat belt rests on.

Its crazy to think VW would not have something more accessible for a manual override.

Advertisement