Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New stock wanted

Options
  • 10-12-2012 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I have a 1976 Brno Mod 2, .22 Long Rifle that i have recently bought. I was thinking of getting a custom stock from a company that i have looked at in the U.S. The problem is i don't see any stocks for a Brno MOD 2. I do see lots of other stocks ie CZ Brno 452. What i want to know is, Can any other stock fit my rifle straight off the bat, or is their a Stock that i can get with minimum modifications. Alternativly, Can anyone suggest any sites that i can get a modded stock for my rifle. I would really love to get one sorted before xmas as a little pressie to myself :D The site i have already looked at is Boyds .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I think they are the same stock but your best bet would be to take a picture of the inletting so we can compare the two.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Butcherhayes

I hope these help. If you need any other dimensions or info . Let me know please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

Hubby got a custom stock made by Pat Sludds on his gun recently.. he was very pleased with it..

http://www.gunstocks.ie/

He's based in Enniscorthy, in Wexford

OK. After speaking to a very helpful Man at Irelandcustomrifle. I have decided that trying to get a stock for my Brno Mod 2, is a waste of time or money, as it would cost a serious amount for a new stock for it. I am going to trade it in with my gun supplier and get a much more customizable friendly Ruger 10/22. Thanks for everyones help and advice. I will be sorry to see the back of my Brno , but as i am looking into customization. I have bitten the bullet (Sorry for the Pun) and gone with the Ruger. I can only hope that the Ruger is half as accurate and as much a joy as the Brno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

That is complete and utter horse ****e:mad::mad::mad: any stock maker can inlet a stock easily he is only trying to sell you a new rifle. I will post a pic of the inletting of a cz 452 in a couple of minutes it is the same as far as i can see. I really would'nt listen to him though inletting a stock is not difficult. So even if the inletting is'nt the same if you buy an uninletted one from boyds you can have it inletted here easily. If you like your rifle and don't want to get rid of it then don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

The ruger is definitely far more customizable (is that a word?) than the CZ and if you want to try the route of changing parts and just exploring what can be done with a gun the ruger is perfect to start on and that's the way I would go. If it was financially possible to keep the CZ, you could pick up a standard 10/22 secondhand for quite reasonable money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I seriously doubt that if you rang about a stock that he would have tried to sell you a gun as he is not a gun dealer. I also doubt he would have told you it is too expensive to get a Boyd's stock as they are cheap enough, and can be gotten easily.
    • Did you ask about the stock?
    • Did he tell you he could get a Boyd's for you?
    • Did he tell you it could be inletted to suit?
    • Did he give you other stock options?
    • Are you looking to customise your current rifle?
    • Would you prefer a Ruger as it is more easily customised?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Cavan duck buster

Go to boyds custom stocks.com i got mine from the 2 week ago and love it, here is a vid of it
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=Vl9nB4nhUOE

And also please subscribe. :) thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Go to boyds custom stocks.com i got mine from the 2 week ago and love it, here is a vid of it
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=Vl9nB4nhUOE

And also please subscribe. :) thanks lads

Got a comment from 22Plinkster...nice work:pac:

Sorry if i caused confusion people. Firstly the guy from Irelandcustomrifle did not try and sell me a gun. He told me what i kinda knew. Either get a custom stock made from a blank at a very costly amount or, Get a stock from Boyds and he would sort out the customization on the inlet at a much more managable price. The reason i have decided to go with the new Ruger is simple. I want to put a little money at a time into customizing the gun. I will get a new stock, probably from boyds, and then i will start to save for a heavy barrel etc etc. I want to change the gun completly and as i have spent a lot of time looking into getting a new stock for my Brno Mod 2, I know that getting lots of new mods on that gun is going to be a challenge. I do like the Brno, but i wouldn't say that it will kill me to replace it. All i said was i would miss it as it was a good reliable weapon and very accurate. I pretty much only go after Rabbits, so a Ruger 10/22 will tick all the boxes with the added bonus of being semi automatic and take 10 rounds rather than the 5 round Brno. So once again, sorry about the confussion, but i have seen that if i want to go down an inexpensive road to customizing my rifle. It is better to go with a Ruger than trying to accomodate my Brno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Cavan duck buster

Blay wrote: »

Got a comment from 22Plinkster...nice work:pac:
    Ya i know, i couldent belive that he actuly subcribed to me after i asked him nicely but still not every day a famous account subcribes ta ya, aslo please be shure to subcribe to please i would realy help a lot. Thanks

Ps. Spread the word of my channel. :)

Firstly the guy from Irelandcustomrifle did not try and sell me a gun.
    So once again, sorry about the confussion, but i have seen that if i want to go down an inexpensive road to customizing my rifle. It is better to go with a Ruger than trying to accomodate my Brno.
    Was thinking as much.

Thanks for clarifying.

As for customising, the Ruger is the way to go. No point in starting on your CZ if the Ruger is the rifle you ideally want. There is even a thread or two on the matter just below this thread. Might give you some ideas.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Sorry if i caused confusion people. Firstly the guy from Irelandcustomrifle did not try and sell me a gun. He told me what i kinda knew. Either get a custom stock made from a blank at a very costly amount or, Get a stock from Boyds and he would sort out the customization on the inlet at a much more managable price. The reason i have decided to go with the new Ruger is simple. I want to put a little money at a time into customizing the gun. I will get a new stock, probably from boyds, and then i will start to save for a heavy barrel etc etc. I want to change the gun completly and as i have spent a lot of time looking into getting a new stock for my Brno Mod 2, I know that getting lots of new mods on that gun is going to be a challenge. I do like the Brno, but i wouldn't say that it will kill me to replace it. All i said was i would miss it as it was a good reliable weapon and very accurate. I pretty much only go after Rabbits, so a Ruger 10/22 will tick all the boxes with the added bonus of being semi automatic and take 10 rounds rather than the 5 round Brno. So once again, sorry about the confussion, but i have seen that if i want to go down an inexpensive road to customizing my rifle. It is better to go with a Ruger than trying to accomodate my Brno.

KEEP your CZ brno

Who says you can't customise a CZ Brno .22lr.
    This WAS my CZ before I sold it to get the Ruger 10/22.
    REMEMBER a Ruger 10/22 will not be as accurate as the CZ brno

Custom stock, Timmey Triger, Picatinny Rail (not shown here), Bedded, Pillored,

CZvarmint2.jpg

And my Customised Ruger 10/22 All KIDD parts.
    When you have €1200 to spend, on top of the price of the rifle, then this is what you can get, and now it shoots as good as the CZ varmint did

f79caf2f.jpg

It sounds like the OP has his heart set on a Ruger clivej. As can been seen from your photo (any excuse eh :D) the CZ can be customised, but i think the OP is leaning towards the Ruger.

I mean from an "outsider's" point of view both rifles look nice, but your Ruger is that little more impressive.

From a shooter's perspective i'd take the CZ all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Kinda confused here with this thread! :(
    The OP hasn't made it clear what the rifle will be used for primarily. The choice isn't really an either/or between the CZ452 OR the Ruger 10/22 IMO. Hey, why not have BOTH?

If it's accuracy from a stable position you want, pick the CZ (Unless you have an extra bunch of cash to upgrade the 10/22). If it's speed and follow-up shots you need, the Ruger is the one (and then allow funds for upgrading that).

For Gallery rifle, you will need a s/a and not a bolt-action, so if that's your gig, 10/22 all the way - but be prepared to spend time and money upgrading the Ruger to get it to a competitive standard. ;)

On another point, you can get 10 round mags for the CZ452, if mag capacity is an issue.

Gun v Gun, the CZ452 will outshoot the 10/22 every time shot for shot - however for rapid fire gallery shooting, the CZ won't hack it. Two different tools for two different jobs.

Now, if we're just talking about pimping guns for appearance, you have more options with the Ruger: having said that, many of the accessories / modifications for the Ruger which you see online are not readily available here.

If the modifications are for accuracy purposes, rather than cosmetic, then either gun will / can be modded/upgraded to get it to a decent level of accuracy - the CZ will take far less modding to accurize, and the Ruger somewhat more. And again, much will depend on how much accuracy you want and in what context you want to use the rifle. But....neither will be a truly accurate rifle compared to some.

It all depends on what you what the rifle to do for you and what the purpose of the modifications is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Having re-read back through the thread again, I see it's primarily for bashing bunnies the rifles used. So, gallery and target stuff isnt really the purpose.

Accuracy is only needed to Minute-of-Rabbit - so no need for the kind of upgrades to Ruger that CliveJ has outlined above. Although his 'Ruger' (or what's left of it ;) ) is a cracking bunny-gun and bloody accurate. It's a dream Gallery rifle.

I gather its the modding and 'pimping' that the OP is most interested in. For that, the 10/22 is best suited. Not to say, other rifles can't be modded quite nicely. I have a few plans in mind for my own CZ452 when the next boom rolls around! :) And Boyds are on the shopping list.

Resale on the Brno may be pretty low - so maybe hold onto that one. And get a Ruger TOO.

You can then enjoy modding both as time and funds allow.

I have to add its not too easy to get the Good parts to do a proper upgrade to the Ruger 10/22 without sh!te loads of $$$$$$

Firstly. Thanks for all the replies and advice everyone. As for what the gun is for, well as i said Bunnies . The issue i was having was, I wanted to get a new stock for my Brno Mod 2, Not a Brno 452. A 452 would have been easy to mod. The main issue was getting parts for a Brno Mod 2. After listening to everyones feedback on this thread, and also emailing a few companies. I decided that for me to customize my Brno, I was going to have to spend a serious amount of money to really Mod it up. I know that i could have got a stock for a 452 and had someone re do the inlet, but tbh, I wanted a stock to start with and then i would have kept going with the mod's. So after a good amount of time thinking about it, i decided that an easier option was to go with the Ruger 10/22. As for accuracy, well i am new to the shooting, around 6 months, and I am not that worried about the minute differences in accuracy in the 2 guns. I have a friend with a 10/22 and i have found the fact you can pull about 3 or 4 shots off on a rabbit by the time i have fired my shot and reloaded the bolt for the next shot a bonus. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have got the stuff i wanted for the Brno and done all the modding possible, but i have to say the idea of getting the semi automtic Ruger, is by far a better option for me, and an easier option for when i start to modify it. I would like to say though, the CZ and the Ruger in CliveJ's posts are awesome looking, and if it was not an issue for me, I would gladly keep the Brno and still get the Ruger and mod both guns. Although it has to be said, I may be divorced before the end of the year if i tried that :D . Thanks again for all your help and I am happy to say i'm getting my Ruger very soon. I might even post a picture on this forum in the not to near future.

Good to hear that your mind is made up
    If you have the little extra $$$$ get the Ruger tactical model it's the best of all the 10/22's IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

BUt..

if you want to spend some money,.... to get the best value....

Ignore the rest and spend the money on the trigger :) it can be expensive or not depending on what you do but overall will make a great improvement to your shooting, as the factory trigger is awful, and should come with a small tractor to help you pull it :)

Regards,

DB

• Advertisement

Scalachi wrote: »
    BUt..

if you want to spend some money,.... to get the best value....

Ignore the rest and spend the money on the trigger :) it can be expensive or not depending on what you do but overall will make a great improvement to your shooting, as the factory trigger is awful, and should come with a small tractor to help you pull it :)

Regards,

DB

Well DB. The order of additions and modding i plan to do is :- Scope, Bipod, Moderator. Then Trigger, Stock, New barrel. I do plan on buying a few smaller items along the way like A Bolt Buffer a Bolt handle. I have already ordered the Ruger as I am still working on a budget, at the moment. Although I will be upgrading everything i can over the next year. I would love any suggestions to what else would be a good suggestion for my project. The Ruger i have ordered is http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Carbine/specSheets/1103.html . I know it is not the top of the range one, but as i plan to use it as a work in progress. I don't mind so much. I'm hoping that by the middle of the year, it will look A completly different rifle.

Whatever about the scope that trigger must be top of the list. As your find out when you use the Ruger for the first time

DB is right (as always with things about 10/22's)

Then CliveJ and DB. I guess it's the Trigger for me first. Any suggestions what type and where to get it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Simple choice :) Kidd

I have also had a riflecraft and a Volquartsen TG200, and the VQ was good :) but.....

I changed to a Kidd 2 stage a few years ago and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread until they brought out the single stage :) (what I now use)

They also now do a drop in kit that you can retrofit to your own trigger housing unit if the budget is a bit tighter.

Have a look at www.rudefatdog.com or lookup Kidd Innovative Design, parts can be ordered through Harbour Guns in Kildare :)

Regards

DB

I now cannot fire a Ruger 10/22, with any sort of accuracy, with the standard trigger. You just can't tell when the sear is going to release and therefore your aim has moved off target.
    My 10/22 came with a two stage trigger adjusted at 1 1/2lb and was the dogs nuts. I have now replaced this with the single stage unit. Again this tightened up my groups that little bit more.

Harbour Guns has the single stage trigger in stock @€;315

Advertisement