Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campione Bike

Options
  • 10-12-2012 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

I recently had the misfortune of a frame breakage on the rear dropout of my steel commute bike (yes it can happen to steel). It'll take a few weeks (at least) to process a warranty claim so I hunted around for a replacement and I managed to get my hands on a "Campione". I've never heard of them and all Google seems to reveal is a series of bikes built by Bianche - but don't seem to match this one.

Its a 6 speed, with a 127 rear spacing, Sun Race Index gears and Dia Compe VX brakes - I'm not sure if any of these are original though.

Does anyone know anything about this particular bike and what it was originally equipped with? It rides really well, although making a few noises, I am considering making it a project but would like some advice as to what parts I should use.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

If you want some really good advice post the same question + pics to this forum.

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php/181-Classic-amp-Vintage

I don't think it's of any significant value to warrant ploughing money into...but I'm no expert. Some of the guys in that forum really know their stuff. If it's just a bike to tide you over it might serve you fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭camaghead

Thanks Hesker - I'll give them a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

camaghead wrote: »

Does anyone know anything about this particular bike and what it was originally equipped with? It rides really well, although making a few noises, I am considering making it a project but would like some advice as to what parts I should use.

Thanks in advance

Don't know anything about campione off hand. Advice would depend on what kind of project you want to make of it. Do you want to modernise it? Do you want to figure out the original equipment and restore it to the original or just find a suitable vintage groupset and gear to build it up so it looks the part and works nice? Or do you want to do something weird with it like an internal gear hub or a set of 650b wheels or what or turn it into a tall bike or paint it leopard print? Details details details.

Don't know anything about campione off hand. Advice would depend on what kind of project you want to make of it. Do you want to modernise it? Do you want to figure out the original equipment and restore it to the original or just find a suitable vintage groupset and gear to build it up so it looks the part and works nice? Or do you want to do something weird with it like an internal gear hub or a set of 650b wheels or what or turn it into a tall bike or paint it leopard print? Details details details.

I'd be interested in figuring out the original equipment to restore to or building it up to look good and work nice but be true to the era.

I few more photos - seat stays and bottom bracket.

Also crankset is Tracer - 52/42. Not sure yet if Italian or British BB threads

• Advertisement

I would have liked if it was one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Your best bet if you want a nice old lightweight is to sell the bike you have and watch ebay for a while. You might get 150 for what you have now. Expect to pay about 500 total including shipping for a decent frame + mid to high end shimano components. A Guerciotti with nice components will cost more I'm sure. This will save you money in the long run.

The advice you got on the forum I recommended is what I thought. This bike is fairly entry level road bike and not worth spending money on. Fine to ride around for what it is.

hesker wrote: »
    Your best bet if you want a nice old lightweight is to sell the bike you have and watch ebay for a while. You might get 150 for what you have now. Expect to pay about 500 total including shipping for a decent frame + mid to high end shimano components. A Guerciotti with nice components will cost more I'm sure. This will save you money in the long run.

The advice you got on the forum I recommended is what I thought. This bike is fairly entry level road bike and not worth spending money on. Fine to ride around for what it is.

Many thanks hesker for the good advice.

Advertisement