Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay or go???

Options
  • 10-12-2012 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I am in a full time badly paid dead end job that I hate so much it's effecting my health badly. I never went to college and it's always been a huge regret. I really want to do it now because I think the job is starting to make me depressed. I'm coming across a lot of negativity from family and a few friends and it's making me second guess myself. I guess I need to know if people think it would be worth it or should I stay miserable and earning?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

If you fancy going to college then do it. Start looking into what you want to do and apply early in the new year. I started in September as a mature student after years of being unemployed/working dud jobs. Had it in my head that it was this massive thing (wasnt at all) and only applied half assed. Somehow I got offered a place and I plucked up the courage to go and here I am in college with a future thats a hell of a light brighter than it seemed it could be this time last year.

Lifes too short to be sick and miserable for the sake of eeking by.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

Go! I'm only finishing my first semester... Its the best decision I ever made! :) I'm in DIT, and loving it... just spend time on your course choices. Its key - if you know what you like or what you're interested in, it makes all the work seem less like work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭rob w

PatsyR wrote: »
    I am in a full time badly paid dead end job that I hate so much it's effecting my health badly. I never went to college and it's always been a huge regret. I really want to do it now because I think the job is starting to make me depressed. I'm coming across a lot of negativity from family and a few friends and it's making me second guess myself. I guess I need to know if people think it would be worth it or should I stay miserable and earning?

If your miserable in the job now nothing will change if you stay in it just to keep earning, it will more likely only make things worse!

I was in a similar position a fewyears ago, i had lost my job and been unemployed for quite a while, was really depressed and starting to lose my mind, so I decided to apply for college. Its the best thing I've ever done! :)

As a mature student i find it much easier to focus on what needs to be done and i put a lot of effort into it. I was never much of an academic in my school days, but i find my course very interesting, so I am really enjoying it! Its got me out of that miserable slump i was stuck in a few years back!

This year ill be graduating with my degree and maybe thinking about further studies after, something i never saw myself doing before! Job prospects are starting to look up too and i find myself much more employable now than had i sat at home unemployed instead!

I think you should definitely go for it OP, there's so many courses out there, find something you'd be interested in and go along to a few open days, talk to lecturers, other students and get a feel for the course/college! You've got a lot of time to think about things between now and the start of the next college year, so put some time and effort into your application while you can!

Best of luck with whatever you do! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

What everyone else said OP - go for it. The job is driving you nuts - a go nowhere job. If you find a course of study you like etc etc you'll have better options. You'll only be kicking yourself if you stay as you are.

I'm working and studying and with a bit of luck my studies will lead me to something alot more exciting than what I'm currently doing :)

So yes - go for it.

SD

Advertisement