Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What goes into the perfect ham glaze??

Options
  • 10-12-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, as the title suggests I'm looking for ideas for my ham glaze,, what's the ingredients you use... Any special tips greatly appreciated.
    Thanks ,,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I never measured the ingredients but more or less:

A couple of tablespoons of brown sugar
    Tablespoon of honey
    2 good teaspoons grain mustard
    about a desertspoon of cider vinegar
    splash of apple juice (I ran out of spoons :p)
    little soy sauce

mix all together pour/brush over cooked, skinned ham bake until nicely coloured.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Marmalade or a really good chutney

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SamHealy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

superblu wrote: »

Yup, reading that will tell you everything you could need to know about glazing ham. Saves me writing an essay!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

I like to smother the ham in mustard, then pack on brown sugar. Nom.

Or, beat honey, mustard and wholegrain mustard together and paint it on. Also very good, but does slide off the meat somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Brown sugar, honey, boil in water then in dry cider, then cover with orange slices stuck on with cloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

I go for a simple mix of honey and mustard in equal quantities along with studding the ham with cloves. Very tasty.
    When doing a ham for Christmas I keep all the juices that have gathered in the tray and I use it for roasting cocktail sausages in. They are yummy as they are automatically flavoured with honey/mustard/cloves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I like do take a good cloudy cider, like Double LL Irish Cider, take a whole bottle of it and reduce it down to about 1/5th it's original volume, then add a few tables spoons of Muscovado Sugar, a few teaspoons of a good whole grain mustard and mix it all up into a lovely sticky syrup.

I cook my ham like most people, boil and then bake, but while baking I like it cover it and put about half a bottle of cider in the bottom on the pan, then take the foil off for the last halfish hour, crank up the heat a little, studd the fat with cloves, paint on your glaze and let it get nice and toasty ontop.

Advertisement