Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone for a White Christmas this year???

Options
  • 10-12-2012 11:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

....looks more and more possible,with the long term forecasts saying that we are in for freezing winds,temps and snow from Siberia for December and January.

There is snow forecast for the hilltops of Ireland from Thursday onwards.

Wonder what odds the bookies would give me on a White Christmass??:D

Thank the baby jesus that I got in all my briquettes and have all the firewood from some large felled trees.....its gonna be a cold one indeed.:(:pac::D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Please god no. I have a rear wheel drive car. 2 years ago I was driving home for Christmas. After 5 hours driving, fighting my car to keep it straight, with still an hour of driving left, I pulled into the hard shoulder and cried for 30 minutes solid. So I'm praying for a heat wave this Christmas ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

Get on!!..

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1206/1224327563350.html

Na, I wouldn't back it with YOUR money :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Lima Golf wrote: »
    Please god no. I have a rear wheel drive car. 2 years ago I was driving home for Christmas. After 5 hours driving, fighting my car to keep it straight, with still an hour of driving left, I pulled into the hard shoulder and cried for 30 minutes solid. So I'm praying for a heat wave this Christmas ;)

4WD is what you need.:D

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1504-1.jpg

IMG_1486-1.jpg

I also sat on an Aer Lingus plane for 3 hours at Dublin Airport on my way to London on Christmass Eve 2 years ago.
    The plane got delayed from departing (thanks to a lazy ass straggler of a passenger).:mad:

We then got hit by an incomming blizzard and were snowbound on the plane for 3 hours.

Got some nice pics though.:D

DSCF5833.jpg

DSCF5828.jpg

DSCF5830.jpg

DSCF5815.jpg

DSCF5800.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

I hope that it snows this Christmass.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭narfsnonsense

Would love it to snow after I got back on 20th so I had to extend my trip home for a few days. Why did I only take a weeks holiday?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'd say keep an eye on the weather forum and you'll see that there is little or no prospect of heavy snow at the moment before Christmas!! It's all hype!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Me and my neice are for Dublin for the weekend early in the new year, so I hope there will be no snow or else we mightn't be able to travel!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Read the last few pages of the model discussion on the Weather forum and you'll see that the "forecasts" in the newspapers etc are all based on data from a few days ago. I don't understand half the discussion myself but it looks like there was something called a breakdown and instead of cold and snow its looking like mild and wet for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

D'you know what, after a couple of lonely, quiet Christmases, a wet and mild one would be lovely! I'd REALLY like to be able to visit people and have visitors this year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Let it snow let it snow let it snow !

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It's NOT going to snow on Christmas Day, it will be fog, rain and cold, but NO Snow. Sorry dudes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

I Would like a bit of snow on Christmas. If it doesn’t i hope it will wet rainy windy could foggy just miserable weather. If it was sunny on Christmas, my Christmas would be ruined.

Christmass Day,Santy hat on and in me shorts,23 degrees C outside,blue sky,sunshine and the BBQ fired up in the back garden.

Oh wait,Im still in Ireland.

Oops.:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Ideally, I'd like a crisp frosty sunny day with a sprinkling of snow on the hills. At this stage though I'd settle for it just not raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Taking into consideration the hardship involved I'll settle for snow to start falling after midnight mass on xmas eve(not that I go to mass but it would be lovely for those that do) and for there to be a light 2 cm covering on the roofs, hedges, tops of walls, and grass but which melts off the roads so there is no danger to those visiting relatives by car on christmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I'd so love a Christmas like this:

Xmas.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

paddy147 wrote: »
    Christmass Day,Santy hat on and in me shorts,23 degrees C outside,blue sky,sunshine and the BBQ fired up in the back garden.

Oh wait,Im still in Ireland.

Oops.:pac::D

Jesus Paddy, I was awaiting one of your pics to download on your post there eek.pngeek.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I love the idea of white Christmases in other countries but in Ireland it just causes too much disruption.

When it stops people being able to get their shopping done/get to work/travel home for Christmas etc it stops being fun for me. I would like a few flurries but not too much this year!! I prefer to watch it snowing on TV in Christmas films or look at beautiful photos of snowy images- from the comfort of my own home! :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I don't mind if it snows once I'm back in Ireland, but until then I would like it to stay away! It was an absolute pain in the ass getting home in 2010 so I don't want a repeat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

A bit of snow would be nice, but if its anything like 2 yrs ago, then NO!
    ...5 and a half hours on a bus from dublin airport to Portlaise..
    ..Frozen water pipes which forced us to re-open the old well in the garden and do the bucket on a rope thing, in order to feed our animals
    ... Flushing the toilet with a bucket of water
    ...No heating in the house .
    ..Not able to drive anywhere because the roads were like a skating rink
    ..Burst pipes all over the house when they finally thawed - breaking holes in the walls to get in and repair them...

Still the mother managed to put on a great Christmas dinner, fair play to her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I can empathise with those who suffered in 2010 - I was trying to get home on the 23rd I think from Amsterdam and it was madness. I'm flying on Christmas eve this year so the snow better feck off until Christmas day at the earliest :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Unlikely to happen this year. Unfortunately the Jet stream has come roaring back at us at the wrong time. New Year's a possibility through the month of January, but Christmas unfortunately not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I bought a sledge yesterday. I'm being very optimistic.

Working on training up my two dog to pull me around :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I hope not. Last time we had a white Christmas one of our family members didn't make it home at all for Christmas. This year for certain reasons we can't afford for that to happen. Bring on a heatwave.

7 degrees C and wet for Christmas Day........according to latest weather forecasts

So no white christmas this year.

Feck it anyway.:(:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

paddy147 wrote: »
    7 degrees C and wet for Christmas Day........according to latest weather forecasts

So no white christmas this year

Feck it anyway.:(:pac:

-20 degrees and plenty of snow then :D:D

Advertisement