Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you feel about songs you create?

Options
  • 11-12-2012 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

I'm kind of wondering how other people feel when they've created a song, at the point when they've decided it's complete.

For myself, I like the songs, but they're always four stars to me, so to speak, I like them, but never think I've created something brilliant.

Which makes me think, am I stopping short? Should I persevere until I think the song sounds amazing to me?

Obviously everyone's taste in music is different, and what sounds great to one person, probably won't sound nearly as good to most people.

So I'm kind of interested how other people feel about the music they've created. No false modesty please. I'm interested in how people honestly feel about the song's they've created.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dogmax

Blisterman wrote: »
    I'm kind of wondering how other people feel when they've created a song, at the point when they've decided it's complete.

For myself, I like the songs, but they're always four stars to me, so to speak, I like them, but never think I've created something brilliant.

Which makes me think, am I stopping short? Should I persevere until I think the song sounds amazing to me?

Obviously everyone's taste in music is different, and what sounds great to one person, probably won't sound nearly as good to most people.

So I'm kind of interested how other people feel about the music they've created. No false modesty please. I'm interested in how people honestly feel about the song's they've created.

To me it's the journey that the song take you on from the moment you write the first line to the moment you listen back to hear, maybe you need to change a word or two maybe even a line or two but when you hear the flow of them words then you'll know, and if it's right then that is the first part of the journey complete, after that the journey become a roller coaster, when you're up you're up and when you're down, write a song about it.

As for been brilliant, if it's make me feel good then that good enough for me, and yes I agree, I'm delighted to say everyone taste in music is different, and that difference can be a huge help.

(I'm interested in how people honestly feel about the song's they've created)

I feel great about the songs I have written, by myself and with other songwriters, but it's the next part of the journey that I really look forward to, but it not a every day thing, if you're not happy with something that you have written take time out, get a second opinion, for this journey can also be a journey of discovery, I have sat in the company of brilliance from the first song I wrote to only recently, all are on their own journey and even though none of us are up their with the so call best (only a matter of time) we wouldn't swap this journey for the world, we couldn't even if we tried, and anyway, as the old man used to say "ah some day" Life Goes On. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

It's a bit of journey for me when it comes to songwriting and my songs.
    When I've written a song, I generally like the fact that I finished writing one but then don't always like it straight away in terms of message, melody, arrangement etc.
    After a couple of tweaks here and there I tend to like it a bit better but have so far only been able to perform 2 out of my whole collection of songs in public because I don't feel confident about the rest of them just yet.
    I reckon it helps if you play in a band and your band mates can give you some feedback and reassure you. I mostly play on my own so it's a long way until I really feel like a song is ready for public scrutiny.
    Do you ever find that a song, no matter how much fiction went into it, is a very emotional thing to put out there? It's so personal that I find it difficult to perform some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 freakingidol

Blisterman wrote: »
    , am I stopping short? Should I persevere until I think the song sounds amazing to me?

I think you should, if something is bugging you, there's an opportunity there to make it better. I wrote songs in 2009 that are still not demoed and I will have to rewrite some parts. The important thing for me is not if the song is a 3, 4 or 5, but if it's all it should be; then we have to let go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 WillRMusic

I personally feel awesome about my songs, once they are completed. I am meticulous with every phrase, verse and melody and once it all comes together it is a great feeling. It can take sometime to get there there but you will know once it is because an overwhelming feeling of relief and achievement will overcome you. Enjoy the ride, it is a very personal one;)

I wrote these tunes over 10 years ago and i still cant believe that i own them.

https://soundcloud.com/emotiveexperience

• Registered Users Posts: 20 freakingidol

We usually think our songs are better than they are, even famous artists get overexcited for their next album, next single, and nobody cares. I can easily say that most of what is posted in forums is completely irrelevant to what's going on in the music industry today, which includs the one song I released, and this is why I released it myself, there's no way I could have licensed it. We have to be lucid, trying to do it for real helps us to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

freakingidol's right

I get really excited when i write a song that i think is worth recording.:)

Its great when you feel like you've got the lyrics and tunage right:cool:

Find it hard most times to get the right sound for songs but feels like scoring a goal when something you add/take away makes the tune "bed in"

Feel like a f**king genius when i listen to a finished mix the first few times.:D

Feel confused some time in the future that i ever thought the song was that good!:confused:

Best feeling is when you find something old you recorded as an idea but didnt take any further, and is surprisingly good!;)

moral of the story, i use smilies unnescessarily.:rolleyes:

Advertisement