Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saoirse Na Spéir, correct?

Options
  • 11-12-2012 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Freedom of the sky? Somebody said to me it was saoirse na spéire with the e at the end but I feel it's just spéír..? I'm getting this as a tattoo soon. Originally wanted saor mar éan but it was difficult to translate correctly and doesn't have as much meaning as gaeilge. Could somebody clarify that saoirse na spéir is correct. I'm having trouble finding someone who is 100% sure.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Freedom of the sky? Somebody said to me it was saoirse na spéire with the e at the end but I feel it's just spéír..? I'm getting this as a tattoo soon. Originally wanted saor mar éan but it was difficult to translate correctly and doesn't have as much meaning as gaeilge. Could somebody clarify that saoirse na spéir is correct. I'm having trouble finding someone who is 100% sure.

Thanks

"spéir" is 'sky' in the Tuiseal Ainmneach (nominative case).
    When two nouns are used in relation to each other, one of them tends to be amended by the Tuiseal Ginideach (genitive case).

In this case, the phrase refers to the 'freedom (of the) sky'. As such, "spéir", being a feminine noun in the 2nd Declension, changes to "spéire".

Short answer? "Saoirse na spéire" is grammatically correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TheCheshireCat

Short answer? "Saoirse na spéire" is grammatically correct.

Great, thanks! :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Great, thanks! :)

I'd recommend you ask the lovely people on the Irish Learner/Irish Language Forum for their advice before you go ahead with it. You're more likely to get a quick answer confirmed there than here. Best of luck! :)

Advertisement